Rain Water in Bilges on 4087-gctid814855

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain Water in Bilges on 4087-gctid814855

Over the winter (dry in FL) I've solved a number of issues on my 4087 Bayliner. This spring I'm getting excessive amounts of rain (fresh) water in my forward bilge (bottom of steps forward) and some in my engine bilge! At one time the condensate sump was not working and it ran over but I fixed that problem . Any ideas where the water is entering? I see no leaks in cabins, windows or ports . Anchor locker is dry. I've vacuumed out 3 gallons or more at a time (bilge Pump sits high). Need to go over during hard rain but it's hard to get there during afternoon storms.
    1999 4087 with twin Cummins 270HP
    Custom Hardtop over Flybridge

I just solved this mystery on my boat. I caulked the top edge of the rub rail. It was caulked at one point but over time it deteriorated. Both bulges are now dry for the most part. It's surprising how much rail water gets in there.
    "Martini's Law"
    1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
    Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

Exactly, I have a 3788, same vintage and I had a similar problem. The water comes in from the rubrail. It's very tough to track down as in some areas you have no access. The solution, as suggested, reseal the top and bottom of your rubrail.
      1997 3788/Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M2s (Sold)
      2003 Silverton 42c/Cummins 480CEs
      2019 Cobia 240 CC
      2006 Boston Whaler 13 Sport
      1985 3270/Hino 135s (Sold)

Vero Beach, Fl.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I noticed a little coming from that joint where I could get access. I'll try caulk next. What product did you use?
        1999 4087 with twin Cummins 270HP
        Custom Hardtop over Flybridge

Comment

I used 3M Marine clear silicone.
          "Martini's Law"
          1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
          Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

As a side note, you may want to also check your hot water heater and ensure all connections and tank are sound. I had the same issue with what I thought was rain water and it turned out to be a leaky hot water tank.