rope slipping on windlass-gctid814664

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rope slipping on windlass-gctid814664

We just bought a new-to-us Bayliner 3988. It has a Muir Cougar windlass, with 20' of 5/16" chain and 200' of 9/16" rope. When I try to retrieve the anchor, the rope doesn't go far enough down into the gypsy to grab, and it ends up slipping. I bought 200' of new 8 plait rode with the same 20' of chain, but it is only a little better. I have found that if I push down on the rode with my foot just before the gypsy, there is more wrap and it pulls much better. I am thinking of making a bracket that will push the rode down as much as possible just before the gypsy. Has anybody else tried this, or does anybody have a better idea? Muir makes an attachment that supposedly helps, but the reading that I have done suggests that it is expensive and doesn't work well. I don't know that it will fit on my boat anyway, because of the location of the hole into the anchor rope locker.

Thanks,

Jim
    1997 3988
    Cummins 270 HP
    Shady Grove Harbor
    Soddy Daisy Tennessee

Just a thought... but is the gypsy definitely matched to your chain/rope size? I had to specify which gypsy I wanted when I bought my Quick windlass... if they are mismatched, you might get this problem.
    Tyson, Ackerley, Sidney & Gene
    Tsawwassen, BC
    1996 2858 Ciera Command Bridge
    Mercruiser 7.4L BRAVO II (GEN. V) GM 454 V-8; Engine Serial 0F603347
    "Island Passport"
    Home Marina: Tillicum Bay Marina, Sechelt Inlet, BC

Comment

Use the drum for rope or get the optional equipment.

Optional Equipment:

ÔÇóReversing switch: Ôùª SPA-10700 = 12 Volt DC

ÔÇóFoot switch: SPA-10502K

ÔÇóRope / Chain Management system MRCMSHR1200 (Sold Separately) ÔùªThe Cougar can be used with a rope/chain rode but it is generally used in chain only applications

Ôùª A Rope/Chain management system is an Optional accessory that will help to reduce line slippage in applications where a rope/chain rode is used

ÔùªThe rope chain management system consists of a stripper and pressure finger
      "Adios Dinero"
      1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
      Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

Comment

Here is the chain / rope size for each gypsy. Mine has 1/2 inch rope and works just fine. Mine is 5/16 chain wheel.

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
        twin 454's
        MV Mar-Y-Sol
        1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
        Twin chevy 350's inboard
        Ben- Jamin
        spokane Washington

Comment

I found that the Muir Cougar windlass gypsy doesn't work well with rode as well. I also discussed this at length with the Muir USA rep, and he indicated that there was no real cure.

That leaves folks that have a combo rode using the capstan for the rode section, and the gypsy for the chain portion.

What I did was switch to a all chain rode. Much easier.

Also upgraded the windlass to provide the pulling power to lift chain and anchor from 300' deep anchoring situations, but thats another story

KEVIN SANDERS
          4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
          www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
          https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Might be the angle - meaning the windlass is not high enough to grab the rope. Mine likes to slip occasionally right at the splice. Since I have a remote it's not a problem to be out on the bow to give an assist as needed. However per previous recommendations - all chain is a good option. Assuming you want the weight up there.

Comment

"iceclimber" post=814762 wrote:
              Might be the angle - meaning the windlass is not high enough to grab the rope. Mine likes to slip occasionally right at the splice. Since I have a remote it's not a problem to be out on the bow to give an assist as needed. However per previous recommendations - all chain is a good option. Assuming you want the weight up there.
              The angle is a problem, I raised mine an inch and it feeds the chain better. Two or three would possibly be even better.

The PO made a tube attached to a hinge that he could push the rope into the gypsy with. I've removed it and use about 300 feet of 3/8" chain with 300 feet of nylon. I never see the nylon. A couple hundred feet of chain holds well in the PNW.

The original rope that came with the boat was all chewed up from the gypsy.

Comment

Off your original topic, but you might want to consider changing your numbers of chain vs. rope.

For that size boat, you need more chain and less rope rode.

If it were me, I'd have 200ft chain and 100ft of rope rode.

Anchoring is only good until you drag.

You drag because all your rode (chain and rope) is off the bottom and is starting to pull your anchor up (rather than horizontal to the bottom).

With more chain, when the wind picks up all that chain on the bottom will mostly stay on the bottom and the force of pull will be horizontal (which will cause the anchor to dig in more)
                Pat
                Paragon
                1999 4788

Comment

No small matter to raise a windlass. Might be cheaper and easier to just go to chain, but anyway. It's always something.

Comment

Working...
                  X