Seward Hot Water Heater Low Flow-gctid398360

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seward Hot Water Heater Low Flow-gctid398360

So all of a sudden, my hot water flow went from normal to just a trickle. I have good pressure/flow going into the heater, but hardly any coming out. Cold water is good everywhere. Anyone have an idea before I take the unit out, it looks to be a PITA to remove. The unit is a Seward FT-1100.

Thanks,

Rick

My first guess would be to remove the filter from the end of each spigot - my galley sink had greatly reduced flow, and it was debris in the spigot filter.

Now you say you have good cold flow everywhere else, and pressure is not a problem, so leads me to think the debris is only in the hot lines.

Comment

Have you tried draining the tank? If is still producing a small amount of hot water it appears to be a blockage. Don't know if you have ever drained a home hot water tank but about an inch of sludge comes our after a few years.
      Started boating 1965
      Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Four or five years ago I had a similar issue with my Seward water heater. If memory serves, I believe it was some sort of a scald preventative device that was stopped up. It was screwed into the fresh water inlet or outlet, I don't remember which. I removed it and that fixed the problem.

Comment

Where I am located, there is a lot of scale buildup in the hot water heater that will turn loose and float downstream... Eventually, it clogged the hot water at multiple sinks.

Solution: clean out debris from faucet/supply lines/etc and install a fine screen mesh filter to catch the debris after the hot water heater, and before any faucets.

Comment

I had the same problem in my 2001 3788. There is a check valve on the cold water inlet to the hot water tank to prevent hot water from feeding back into the cold water side. Mine was sticking and decreasing the pressure into the water tank. After several conversations, I decided to just remove the sticking valve and take my chances. The closest faucet to the hot water tank is the head sink and you would have to be very quick to put you hands under the tap after turning on the cold water to ever feel the slightest bit of hot water coming out before it is quickly diluted by the flowing of cold water. I've had it this way for years and no one has ever been scalded by backflow into the cold water side or noticed a decrease in available hot water..

Open Wide

Comment

I don't see any reason to remove the heater but if you do, bear this in mind. On my '85 38xx there were two screws on the port side of the heater that seem to have been installed before the superstructure went on. That is, they were all but impossible to get to and the tank had to be destroyed to remove.

Comment

Thanks for the idea's guys, and an extra thanks to Dropenwide, the problem was the check valve. It was nice to be able to take a hot shower on the 5 day trip I just got back from. I just removed the valve from the system, but will order a new one soon.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                X