Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3988 U-line ice maker B195-gctid814094

Good day fellow boaters,

When I bought my 3988 one of the things not working was the ice maker, at that time it was not high on my list of important things to do.

Last week I started to fix it, discovered it needed a new thermostat and immediately it started working... Good.

It makes ice perfectly, but as you can imagine after not running for years the cubes were pretty dirty .

Anyhow, cleaned the unit, but I am still getting black dots in the ice which is basically the teflon from the ice maker assembly pealing off.

Ok, tried to remove the ice maker assembly which proved impossible. I removed the units from the wall, unscrewed the back, removed the 2 side screws and the 3 screws under it.

Yet it will not move. I am puzzled. Also note that under the ice maker assembly in mine there is a cooling unit which seems to be one with the ice maker assembly.

Thanks for help in advance.
    Eric
    Bayliner 3988 1995 Hino 250hp

Hey c350amg - I had the same thing on mine. Black chips on some of the ice. I ran several cycles of throwing out buckets and making more and it subsides. What happens is it will repeat after you shutdown, thaw after a weekend on the boat and restart the next time. I have learned to just leave it on during the entire summer (cold) with ice in the basket. I have surmised it is the defrost/then restart to freeze that causes the problem. I have an inverter so it stays on the whole time I am cruising. I just make sure to lift the ice (harvest) handle when at anchor for less draw and keep it shut. Most people I have talked to in the industry have told me fridges/compressors prefer to be always on anyways otherwise the seals dry out. Just like a home fridge - work them until they cannot work no more or run out of parts.
    MY 3988
    M/V MMPOWRD
    Poulsbo, WA

Comment

"Bay39" post=814098 wrote:
      Hey c350amg - I had the same thing on mine. Black chips on some of the ice. I ran several cycles of throwing out buckets and making more and it subsides. What happens is it will repeat after you shutdown, thaw after a weekend on the boat and restart the next time. I have learned to just leave it on during the entire summer (cold) with ice in the basket. I have surmised it is the defrost/then restart to freeze that causes the problem. I have an inverter so it stays on the whole time I am cruising. I just make sure to lift the ice (harvest) handle when at anchor for less draw and keep it shut. Most people I have talked to in the industry have told me fridges/compressors prefer to be always on anyways otherwise the seals dry out. Just like a home fridge - work them until they cannot work no more or run out of parts.
      Actually I was thinking of doing just that. I just need to change (resistance to change) and let something running in my boat while I am away (aka my water pump is always at off when not there).

;-)
      Eric
      Bayliner 3988 1995 Hino 250hp

Comment

Working...
      X