Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform?-gctid814061

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform?-gctid814061

Unlike most 4788's, ours was never set up with a roof-mounted davit crane or boat deck - so we are trying to figure out what dinghy / davit system will work out best for our swim platform.

We haven't acquired a dinghy yet, but aim to do so soon. Our current leading contender is an Achilles HB-310AX (10'2" x 5' 2"- 147lbs) with a 10hp to 20hp motor.

Now - we are trying to figure out the best way to bring it along with us.

Our boat's swim platform is 35" deep (though only 30" deep if you factor in the transom leaning out a bit), 12' 6" wide, and sits 12" above the water. The transom rises 36" above the swim platform. There is a swim ladder on the port side, a swing-in door to the cockpit on the starboard.

I think it is pretty typical as far as 4788's go.

We had initially been drawn towards a Hurley H30+, but when I wrote Hurley last week they said that they didn't think they had anything to offer that would work on a platform our size.

So if not a Hurley - what will work well on a 4788?

Our swim platform currently has Weaver clips on it, and the prior owner also gave us a Forespar Cargo-Mate 250lb manual winch that can be mounted on either side of the cockpit.

But we are not tied at all to keeping this current davit setup - and I don't think it is well suited to the Achilles HB0-310AX.

Our overall goal is ease of use. We want a dinghy that is easy to deploy, and a davit system that keeps our swim platform useable for boarding while docked too.

The options out there are a bit overwhelming - and we'd love some advice.

Do any of you have any davit recommendations for us that would be a good match for our boat and the dinghy we are considering?

Cheers!

- Chris

Attached files

Chris & Cherie - www.technomadia.com
    "Y-Not" - 1999 Bayliner 4788
    "Zephyr" - 1961 GM PD4106 Vintage Bus RV Conversion

Full-Time nomads since 2006.
    Now spending half of each year slowly doing the Great Loop in our 4788!

One idea before you choose a system - please try running with a similar amount of weight back there so you get a feel for what the boat dose when you load that much behind the stern. Hanging 400#'s or so (whatever you weight will be) back there is a lot different than carrying that much weight even 5 feet further forward.

If you have no issues with your 'test' than you will be fine with whatever you choose.
    Northport NY

Comment

"smitty477" post=814086 wrote:
      One idea before you choose a system - please try running with a similar amount of weight back there so you get a feel for what the boat dose when you load that much behind the stern. Hanging 400#'s or so (whatever you weight will be) back there is a lot different than carrying that much weight even 5 feet further forward.

If you have no issues with your 'test' than you will be fine with whatever you choose.
      It isn't practical to redo our flybridge to put a dinghy up top, and we love having the open space up there.

So test or no test, we have no choice put to go with a dinghy on the swim platform.

Besides - there seem to be plenty of much smaller boats (many in these forums) with much heavier dinghies on the back.

We're just looking for some good davit recommendations.

Cheers,

- Chris

Comment

Chris, I was looking to do the same thing until I spoke with a Meridian dealer at a boat show who said the extra weight on the swim platform is not a good idea. He went on to explain why but I honestly don't remember the reasoning. Hope this helps.

Comment

"knuckledragger" post=814164 wrote:
          Chris, I was looking to do the same thing until I spoke with a Meridian dealer at a boat show who said the extra weight on the swim platform is not a good idea. He went on to explain why but I honestly don't remember the reasoning. Hope this helps.
          Extra weight in the back will make planing a bit less efficient - but there are plenty of boats that cary their dinghies this way. Plenty of other Bayliner models never even had the option for having the dinghy up top.

- Chris

Comment

We went with the Sea-Wise Davit system We can launch and retrieve our dinghy in under a minute with little or no effort. We have the smaller 3870 and barely notice the weight. our dinghy is 10 ft achilles style with a four stroke twenty. Hope this helps
            1985 3870 explore
            Illusion

Comment

Chris - The tender setup on my 3788 is similar to yours: Achilles HB-310AL (same as yours without the bow locker) with a Suzuki 20 Hp outboard. I picked the Suzuki because it is the lightest 15-20 Hp motor. Instead of the bow locker I installed a bench seat with storage from Defender.com.

After looking at various alternatives my wife and I settled on an Olsson The ST-275 Tilt Davit. This davit is attached to the aft end of the swim step. Even with the davit up, one can walk between it and the transom. The only barrier is the block and tackle used to pull the davit up. We solved this issue by adding a second cleat to the top of the transom, on the opposite side as the block and tackle. In our case the block and tackle is on the port side. If we are going to dock to port we attach a line from the starboard arm of the davit to the starboard cleat and remove the block and tackle. If we are docking to starboard, we do not need to do anything. Incidentally, I got a high quality Garhauer block and tackle with more mechanical advantage to replace the one that came with the davit. Both my wife and I can raise or lower the inflatable fairly easily.

You can see the setup in the photo below. The cleat on the left side of the picture is the one we use to tie off the davit if we are docking to port.

Attached files

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
              2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
              Anacortes, WA

Comment

"k2duck4" post=814200 wrote:
                We went with the Sea-Wise Davit system We can launch and retrieve our dinghy in under a minute with little or no effort. We have the smaller 3870 and barely notice the weight. our dinghy is 10 ft achilles style with a four stroke twenty. Hope this helps
                While the Seawise Davit is a great unit, it blocks access to the swim step on one side.
                1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                Anacortes, WA

Comment

From a weight standpoint you should be fine... We run our 4788 with a 800lb Walker Bay 400 on our TNT Lift. I second Olsson Davits as they are well constructed (less expensive than TNT) and I have seen many installed on 4788's around Seattle. http://www.boatdavit.com

Best regards,

Jason

Attached files

Jason M.
                  Bellevue, Washington
                  4788 "Third Day"
                  Cummins 330's

Comment

Norton Rider, Can you tell me the distance from the water to the top of you swim deck? I purchased the same Olsson davit you have and I am about to install on my 4387. However, I not sure if I need to add a ADD a block to raise the mounting bracket. My platform is fairly low, 9" I believe.
                    CPT.BLAIR
                    1994 OCEAN 48' Super Sport w/ 775hp Detroits, Hampton, VA
                    1983 HATTERAS 43' DCMY w/ 410hp Detroits, Richmond, VA

1993 4387 w/ 250 Hinos - Hampton, VA, SOLD
                    1996 3388 w/ 150 Cummins - Richmond, VA, SOLD
                    1989 Sea Ray 390 w/454 Mercruisers SOLD
                    1983 3288 w/ 3.8 Chevy V6 gassers SOLD
                    1984 3870 w/ 135 Mits SOLD

Comment

I would love to have the same type of davit that Jason has on his boat then you really could use the tender as a "life raft" in the case of emergency! I've seen his out of the water and it's quite an extensive addition. Jason wasn't that on the boat when you got it? This type of set up is really great for ease of use and is one of the reason I like the Searay set up where the whole step goes into water via remote..yah!!

It would be interesting to get a waterline to bottom of the swim platform though with a heavy boat (full water/fuel etc). I usually have full tanks as we're in the lake and the fuel around the lake is really spendy in comparison to further North in the San Juans etc. At full fuel water level is just about at the top of the exhaust port especially on the port side (tender up top).

Either way best of luck with your choice!

Derek
                      Family Boater
                      1997 Bayliner 4788 w/330 Cummins - Phoenix
                      (past) 1987 Bayliner 3218 w/135 Hino - True Story

Comment

"k2duck4" post=814200 wrote:
                        Do you have any pictures of your setup?

Does the Sea-Wise block access to get off via the swim platform to one side? What about using the swim ladder?

There is a local Sea-Wise rep - I am definitely going to look deeper into this option.

Thanks!

- Chris

Comment

We had the Roskelley/Olsson davit system when we had our 4788. The added weight of the dinghy may have lowered the stern, but it was very nice to have that extra space on the flybridge and to be able to drop the tender quickly using the remote control. Here is a picture of our setup:

Attached files

1991 57 Widebody Tollycraft "Solana"
                          Formerly:
                          Ladysmith, BC
                          Michelle

Comment

"Norton Rider" post=814202 wrote:

After looking at various alternatives my wife and I settled on an Olsson The ST-275 Tilt Davit.
                            This looks like a very promising setup. I just looked up the http://www.boatdavit.com/Home/Detail...r /> spec page, and it says this:

"Maximum Capacity: 275 lbs. {Including Motor, Fuel Tank, Etc.)"

How heavy is your dinghy / engine setup? It seems a 20hp engine would be pushing the limits of this davit, wouldn't it?

Thanks!

- Chris

Comment

"Michellekw" post=814345 wrote:
                              We had the Roskelley/Olsson davit system when we had our 4788. The added weight of the dinghy may have lowered the stern, but it was very nice to have that extra space on the flybridge and to be able to drop the tender quickly using the remote control. Here is a picture of our setup:
                              It is hard to tell from the angle of the picture - were you able to walk across / board via the swim platform with the davit in place?

Thanks!

- Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X