Solar Electrician-gctid813857

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar Electrician-gctid813857

I have decided to add some solar panels to the boat to try to decrease the generator run-time. After purchasing all of the equipment I am now thinking that I should get in an electrician to check the installation. Does anyone know of an electrician in the Vancouver, B.C. area who is familiar with solar installations?

TIA

-Don.

These systems are fairly basic. Please provide your system details, how you installed and wired it up. Perhaps we can help and save you the expense of having someone come out. Where is you boat moored?
    Sea Venture
    2000 3055, 5.7/B2, 18x23" props
    Cruising the PNW and beyond.
    DIYC, Riverhouse Marina
    MMSI 316029971

Kirk
    Drinks well with others.

Comment

http://www.pysystems.ca/about-us/
      1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Thanks for the offer. You are right, the system seems pretty simple. Just four flexi panels connected to a bus bar and then to the controller. I'm going to do most of the work myself, but I still want a licensed electrician to review it before final connection. I contacted PYSystems but they wanted $3,000.00 to install a $2,000.00 system. I've heard that they do very good work but I won't pay that kind of price. I suppose most marine electricians could do the job, but I'd prefer one who has previously worked with solar.

-Don.

Comment

"Daprof" post=813994 wrote:
          I contacted PYSystems but they wanted $3,000.00 to install a $2,000.00 system. I've heard that they do very good work but I won't pay that kind of price.

-Don.
          $3,000 probably included the system. Even at $100/hr that would be 30 hours or 3 & 3/4 days. I find that hard to believe it could possibly take that long.
          Sea Venture
          2000 3055, 5.7/B2, 18x23" props
          Cruising the PNW and beyond.
          DIYC, Riverhouse Marina
          MMSI 316029971

Kirk
          Drinks well with others.

Comment

just installed 8 100w panels on my hard top 2 systems 400w each From hard top 2 10A breaker #10 wire 15ft to controler 2 40A breaker #6 wire to batterys
            1984 3870 bayliner

Comment

"Daprof" post=813994 wrote:
              Thanks for the offer. You are right, the system seems pretty simple. Just four flexi panels connected to a bus bar and then to the controller. I'm going to do most of the work myself, but I still want a licensed electrician to review it before final connection. I contacted PYSystems but they wanted $3,000.00 to install a $2,000.00 system. I've heard that they do very good work but I won't pay that kind of price. I suppose most marine electricians could do the job, but I'd prefer one who has previously worked with solar.

-Don.
              ----------------------

It seems like so many things these days; it isn't what the work is worth, it's worth what people will pay. Boat labor never seems to be a bargain...

I does pay to DIY if you can find the time, have an aptitude for the type of work and be willing to sift through various information resources (You Tube, blogs, internet articles, books, etc.).

Not a bad idea to get a marine electrician in to perform and invoice an inspection to complete the job. Although for most small solar marine applications DC volts and amperage is low it is important to have any safety concerns addressed before it becomes it becomes functional.
              1995 Bayliner 3587
              Twin Hino 250HP
              Located In Sidney BC, Canada

Comment

Working...
              X