Running on one engine-gctid813752

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running on one engine-gctid813752

While browsing thru the many great post on these boats I see some references to running on one engine. Aside from emergencies, what are the reasons for this? I suspect economy while keeping the rpms up at lowers speeds but have never used twin engine inboard cruisers before so would like some clarification on this Thanx

Stubbs,

Many cruise on one engine and enjoy improved fuel efficiency and reduced engine times. Care must be taken to assure transmissions are approved for free wheeling.
    Jim Gandee
    1989 3888
    Hino 175's
    Fire Escape
    [email protected]
    Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

I use one engine when trolling other wise I move too fast. I have tried to cruising on one engine but haven't realized any savings in economy but some do.

Keep in mind on some twin engines one engine charges the start batteries and one charges the house batteries. Without the proper set up one bank could go dead if you are not careful.
      1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
      twin 454's
      MV Mar-Y-Sol
      1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
      Twin chevy 350's inboard
      Ben- Jamin
      spokane Washington

Comment

Thank you, I saw the post about locking the shaft of the non-running engine, it should be easy to check if ones boat was suitable for running on one without the locking requirment

Comment

Be careful not to overload the engine you are using if only one. A speed below hull speed somewhere should be OK. I found that running anywhere close to hull speed the steering gets quite difficult to all bu the autopilot. One time I ran about 185 miles on one engine, except a few seconds to dock each day when i was loosing about a gallon of antifreeze per minute into the exhaust on the broken engine.
          Started boating 1965
          Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

1 mpg on plane wth two engines

2 mpg at hull speed on two engines

3 mpg slightly below hull speed on one engine.

Comment

Hi

We have a 3688 Bayliner with 210 Hinos. Late last year we moved her 300 miles from Devonport to Hobart in Tasmania. Time wasn't a big issue but going off course to refill would have been a nuciance. So we tried running on alternative engines at about 1200 rpm. We would do about 3 hours then swap over. Left the off engine in neutral & checked for temp by feeling the gearbox. Not a problem. Ran really well. I was conscious that each engine charged a different set of batteries so kept the times about equal. Auto helm was work in progress so we had to manually steer but I was pleasantly surprised by how well she tracked.

I have also done a similar exercise with a 2855 but there were no fuel savings with the single engined boat. With that exercise I ran 100 miles at 2800 rpm (7.4 lt) and 100 miles at 1200 rpm (any less and steering was every where ). We used almost the same fuel. For us...."passage making" on one engine in calmer seas, and if we have plenty of time is a much cheaper option. Our fuel is currently about $1.40 a litre Aus.

Bushy

Comment

Working...
              X