Last rights for my U-Line Ice Maker-gctid813447

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last rights for my U-Line Ice Maker-gctid813447

I replaced the temperature controller but it was no help. So now I get to ponder replacing it or converting the hole into shelves. The cost of a new "marine" version is enough to make me choke a bit, especially compared to the price of the way too similar unit for a house. Most often there are some unseen differences, anybody got any ideas other than maybe a flange to mount to the cabinet?
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

what is the actual issue? They are pricey items, when mine failed I think the replacement cost was near $1,000. My problem was the ice maker unit itself, found an OEM unit on eBay for $200 and it was pretty easy to install.

Unless it is a Freon leak I would try to acquire parts. Even then I would check into getting the leak repaired. They are actually not all that ifficult to work on.
    4788 PH 2001, Cummins 370's

MMSI: 338013392
    Call sign: Sea Daze

Exploring the Salish Sea

Comment

"Knot Happy" post=813451 wrote:
      what is the actual issue? They are pricey items, when mine failed I think the replacement cost was near $1,000. My problem was the ice maker unit itself, found an OEM unit on eBay for $200 and it was pretty easy to install.

Unless it is a Freon leak I would try to acquire parts. Even then I would check into getting the leak repaired. They are actually not all that ifficult to work on.
      Exactly!

Mine got cold just fine but would not make ice.

Two hundred something later on Amazon, plus a 30 minute time period and the thing works great!

KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
      www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

The issue is, I think that the freon charge is gone. The boat was virtually unused for three to five years as nearly as I can tell. The previous owner only had the boat for 15 months and I don't think he used the ice maker and the long time owner before him lost interest in the boat several years before he sold it. I've run into quite a few challenges "waking things up". It did produce ice at first, but I've been noticing the box getting warmer inside and significantly less ice being made. Then none at all. However the inside box temp was around 38 degrees and steady.

KH, it is really easy to work on, I replaced the temperature controller and learned if I reversed the red and blue/black wires I can get it to 90 degrees in about an hour. After an hour and a half of surfing I found a drawing that showed which wire went where on the two versions newer controller. For the last couple of days I've tried different settings and can't get it to go lower tha two degrees colder than the salon temperature. The ice tray cycles just fine, I've mopped up half a gallon of water with one of those fake chamois towels. I made sure it's level, water on, water off, no difference. I can feel the fan running, the only thing I haven't looked at is the compressor itself, so I may try that tomorrow.

I've looked at the cheap home units and the amazon reviews are discouraging. Too many have had to return them and get another unit. Not a good presentation to the Admiral. Gee dear, I saved $1000 but it has to go back and the next one may or may not be any better. I figure I have a week to make it work, but I'm not optimistic.

Great ideas, thanks guys.
        P/C Pete
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        MMSI 367770440

Comment

If a boat buck for a new ice maker keeps the Admiral happy, then that is money well spent...
          Jeff & Tara
          (And Ginger too)
          Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
          "GetAway"
          Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Jeff, I agree. It's just the pain of going through the procurement approval process. I'm talking a six page presentation based on situation, target, proposal with cost analysis and comparisons. I married a business teacher, what can I say? She has put up with me for 41 years, so I'm doing something sorta correct.
            P/C Pete
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            MMSI 367770440

Comment

Check the classifieds. One is listed for 25 bucks plus shipping

But looks like it is getting action....

A boat buck... That is hilarious.... I really can't believe that is the first time I have ever heard that !!

Comment

I feel your pain. Yesterday, I went to the boat only to hear the water pump cycling on. Open the salon door to see a small water fall coming from the U-line. Apparently the water valve decide to stay open flooding the salon with nearly 50 gallons of water. Stupid thing is only 2 years old.
                1997 3788/Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M2s (Sold)
                2003 Silverton 42c/Cummins 480CEs
                2019 Cobia 240 CC
                2006 Boston Whaler 13 Sport
                1985 3270/Hino 135s (Sold)

Vero Beach, Fl.

Comment

Pete, I was just at Sure Marine in Seattle yesterday and talked to them about replacing our U-Line as well (new one is $900 something). Gentleman there said to bring it in to them as they can often troubleshoot and repair for far less. Best regards, Jason
                  Jason M.
                  Bellevue, Washington
                  4788 "Third Day"
                  Cummins 330's

Comment

"Pcpete" post=813488 wrote:
                    Jeff, I agree. It's just the pain of going through the procurement approval process. I'm talking a six page presentation based on situation, target, proposal with cost analysis and comparisons. I married a business teacher, what can I say? She has put up with me for 41 years, so I'm doing something sorta correct.
                    Ha!! I was asked for a new ice maker because my admiral didn't like the shape of the cubes :dry: That is until I priced out a new unit (I hadn't even verified ice shape...good Lord!) We have our original ice maker still aboard and are thankful to have fresh ice when needed :

Best of luck with yours!

Derek
                    Family Boater
                    1997 Bayliner 4788 w/330 Cummins - Phoenix
                    (past) 1987 Bayliner 3218 w/135 Hino - True Story

Comment

Yikes! I don't like the sounds of the U-line creating a 50 gallon water fall in the main salon; I'm glad my u-line is on the aft deck...

A good friend of mine with a u-line was having some issues with his ice maker. He swears by the link/info provided below for trouble shooting. I turned down the thermostat (to a warmer setting) a bit and my ice production increased significantly. "Thank you" to the "Head Master"!

Hopefully this helps...

Matt

-------------------------------------------

This article was originally posted on: http://www.boatered.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=99443

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, here's how they work. U-Line ice makers are controlled by a double-throw thermostat, that is the heart of the system. They call it a "cold control." The cold control has a screwdriver adjustment to control the temperature inside the "box" - it should always be set to the warmest possible position - don't ask why, just take my word for it. As long as the cubes remain good and hard, leave it at the warmest possible setting. If the cubes are soft and wet, then adjust it a little colder - no other time. When you first turn the machine on, the cold control is set in the cool down cycle. The compressor and fan run, cooling down the inside of the machine. On newer units, the cold control is located at the front of the machine, at the bottom, behind the lower grille; on older machines (before 1990), it was sometimes located at the rear of the machine. Anyway, it is a little box that has a capillary tube coming out of it and running up the rear of the machine, in through the rear panel, and into the inside of the machine. It fits into a hollow tube that runs into the actual mold. As the machine cools down, this capillary tube senses the temperature of the actual metal ice mold. When the temperature of the mold becomes cold enough that any water inside it will have frozen - whether there's water there or not - the thermostat switches positions inside (double-throw - it breaks the contact that runs the cool down cycle by turning off the compressor and fan and switches to its other internal position, initiating the "harvest cycle").

When the harvest cycle is initiated, the ejector fingers begin to rotate. As the rotation begins, a cam inside the actual ice making unit turns - this does a number of things. It turns on the mold heater, to loosen the cubes inside the mold. The fingers will come down on top of the ice and stall there, until the mold heater has heated the mold enough to loosen the cubes. Then the fingers will begin to move again, pushing the ice cubes out the rear of the mold area, and as it continues turning it will "flip" them forward into the ice bucket. The wire "bail arm" will rise upward. You will hear the cubes drop into the ice bucket. As the fingers continue turning, the wire "bail arm" will come back down, checking the level of the cubes in the ice bucket. If the level of the cubes in the ice bucket is high enough that the wire arm can't come all the way down, it will disable the ejection mechanism so that the ice bucket doesn't over-fill. You will hear the cubes (if there were any) dropping down into the ice bucket. Then, as it continues turning, the cam activates a switch that opens the water valve, bringing water into the mold for the next batch of cubes. Note: this is the ONLY way water will come into the ice mold. If all the earlier things haven't happened, water will NEVER come into the mold. You can hear the water running into the ice mold for several seconds, then it will stop. The incoming water will have warmed up the inside of the mold enough to re-set the thermostat, and it goes back into cool down mode. The fingers "park" and the compressor and fan come back on, and the machine begins to cool down again.

The most common problem with U-Line icemakers is that the thermostat fails over time, and it never goes into the harvest cycle. The machine gets cold but never delivers any cubes or takes in any water. Most people think that the water valve has gone bad. This condition is NOT due to a failed water valve; it is a failed thermostat (cold control). About 95% of the problems with U-Line icemakers can be corrected by replacing the thermostat. However, it is not an easy job, and it will require removing the machine from where it is installed. The thermostat replacement requires access to the rear area of the machine.

-- The Head Master --

---------------------------------------------------
                      1995 Bayliner 3587
                      Twin Hino 250HP
                      Located In Sidney BC, Canada

Comment

"Pcpete" post=813488 wrote:
                        Hey, mine is a retired business teacher too. We have 19 so far...
                        Jeff & Tara
                        (And Ginger too)
                        Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
                        "GetAway"
                        Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Mlewis, I found the same article and replaced the controller. No joy.

Jason, thanks for the tip about Sure. They are good folks and have earned my business many many time. Now all I have to do is get it out of the boat into my Exploder. There are two issues with going to Sure. The first is a requirement to stop at Larsen's Bakery, the second is the Spud on Green Lake for lunch if the Admiral is along.

Thanks guys.
                          P/C Pete
                          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                          MMSI 367770440

Comment

Mine had a micro switch failure. Vetco Electronics in Bellevue WA (https://vetco.net/products?utf8=%E2%...ds=microswitch) had similar micro switches that could be modified by trimming off a lever and for a few dollars the admiral is happy. Cheapest repair yet.
                            1997 4788 with Cummins 5.9 (315 hp)
                            12 ft Rendova with 40 hp Merc 4 cycle
                            Pacific NW

Comment

Mine was not functional when I bought the boat. Ordered the replacement module part...did not work...got fed up with the stink old unit and ordered a new Igloo counter top ice maker for $150 bucks. Fill it with a couple of bottles of water and it makes pounds of ice in a 30 minutes. It continues to make ice until the water level drops or the basket is full.

I now intend to pull out the old U-Line and make a great cabinet & shelf to house the Igloo unit.

Fresh, clean, sweet ice. Bag the excess and keep it in the freezer compartment.

Comment

Working...
                              X