Safety glass?-gctid813396

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safety glass?-gctid813396

How much if any of the glass in the '90-'95 3288 boats is safety glass? thanx

Assuming bayliner at the time use the same supplier as our 1990 4588, we had someone break our salon window with the bow of there sail boat (long story but we were at anchor and they were moving but blamed us!) the window turned into little pellets of glass. We have window tint film which actually was awesome as it keep all the pellets in place and used box tape on the out side to basic retain some form of a window to get back with out letting in the sun, water spray, etc.
    Mark
    USCG OUPV
    1990 4588
    Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Glass that breaks into little "pellets" is tempered glass. Safety glass has two layers of glass sandwiched around a membrane to keep the glass together like a car windshield.

The glass in our '86 3270 is tempered for the sides and rear windows. I'm not sure if the windshield is tempered or safety as there is no readable stamp or etching.

Greg
      Newport, Oregon
      South Beach Marina
      1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
      Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
      Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

all of it is safety or tempered. any glass shop can cut saftey. tempered is cut then turened into tempered
        1988 3270
        135 hinos
        Seldovia ALASKA
        KEVINS UPHOLSTERY
        KEVINSBOATTOPS.COM
        Marine canvas/Upholstery
        since 1975

Comment

I'm not so sure about the tempered but know it's not safety glass! I've had the windshields out in both of my last two and current boat to reseal. They use the same glass style for all the Bayliner's as near as I can tell. I'd hope it's tempered at minimum but didn't feel like whacking one to test The windshields are only about 1/4" glass with beveled edges. I've taken windshields out and resealed in 32xx and 4788 in case you have any other questions I might be able to help you out.

Are you having a problem or just wondering?

Derek
          Family Boater
          1997 Bayliner 4788 w/330 Cummins - Phoenix
          (past) 1987 Bayliner 3218 w/135 Hino - True Story

Comment

They are indeed "Safety Glass", in the fact that they are tempered... BUT I've never seen any that are "Laminated Safety Glass" like you'd find in a car.

If it breaks in pellets, it's tempered safety glass, if those pellets hang in sheets... it's laminated safety glass.

(you can't cut tempered glass either)
            Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

"SomeSailor" post=813541 wrote:
              They are indeed "Safety Glass", in the fact that they are tempered... BUT I've never seen any that are "Laminated Safety Glass" like you'd find in a car.

If it breaks in pellets, it's tempered safety glass, if those pellets hang in sheets... it's laminated safety glass.

(you can't cut tempered glass either)
              Yes that's what I meant when I said safety glass (laminated).

I wonder if there are any other reasons of than cost laminated glass wasn't used especially on windshields. I can see on the sliding windows etc. but you can get pummeled by a wave....or maybe a lock master that throws a 50' line from 30' UP on your windshield!!
              Family Boater
              1997 Bayliner 4788 w/330 Cummins - Phoenix
              (past) 1987 Bayliner 3218 w/135 Hino - True Story

Comment

I am just curious as I hope to be buying in the future and recalled a bad day 40 years ago with an old "homemade" troller in a big sea and a heavy tide and some regular glass pieces barely missing my face when a wave came thru the mid front window just port of the helm I was working as I tried to get us somewhere else as fast as possible.Thanks for all the replies.

Comment

Working...
                X