Bayliner 3818 salon ceiling light replacement-gctid813318

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bayliner 3818 salon ceiling light replacement-gctid813318

Admiral is asking for a replacement for the ceiling lights over the salon table. Looking for something warm and fitting of the age of the boat. Wanted regular bulb so I can replace them with warm LED's (2700k)

Cant seem to find any online.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Craig
    Nanaimo bc
    1987 bayliner 3818
    w/ 175 Hinos no Genny, but solar to run everything!
    10ft Livingston with centre console and 15hp on davits / winch

Hi, I changed mine a few years ago with LED's. They are a "touch" light that turn on by touching them (so no switch required) They also fitted perfectly into the brass rings that the original lights were in.

The only downside is that the LED's are a very white light but light up the whole cabin. The upside is that they (when touched twice) glow red which is brilliant for travelling at night.

https://www.burnsco.co.nz/shop/boati...-ceiling-light

Comment

Boat Bum,

How thick is that light? For some reason the factory light in my second stateroom gets hit by the door to the bathroom when you open it. It this light is a little thinner it would make a great replacement. The web link does not state any dimensions- look like about 6" in diameter- is it less then 1/2" in thickness?
      Gibraltar, Mi.
      1986- 3870- Hino 175's
      1988 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
      14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

If the 3818 has the same two salon lights as my 3218, I chose to buy LED festoon lighting on ebay that fit in the slots of the old lighting.

I didn't see anything wrong with the existing fixtures and head room was very important. If I get up from the couch even with the old light fixtures I can bang my head.

If you consider this route measure the existing festoon bulbs and you should be able to find a close if not right on replacement.

They have bright and dim bulbs.
        Dan
        Frostbite Falls, Minnesota
        Claudia V. III
        1988 - 3218
        Gas Drives

Comment

He existing fixtures have fluorescent bulbs not festoons. I tried replacing them with warmer fluorescents but not acceptable.
          Craig
          Nanaimo bc
          1987 bayliner 3818

Comment

The lights are about 1 1/2 inches thick. As they are over the salon table it does not matter to be if they are thicker. Think I could go as thick as 6".
            Craig
            Nanaimo bc
            1987 bayliner 3818

Comment

Ok, it was just a thought. I just looked at a few 3818s for sale on youtube and they had the same square low profile fixtures as my 3218 about 1 1/2 thick.
              Dan
              Claudia V. III
              1988 - 3218
              Gas Drives

Comment

I should have mentioned that all the old fluorescent lighting along the windows and the 3 I have in the galley I replaced with LED light fixtures that have two settings high and dim. They were bout 6 inches shorter but are 3 times as bright.
                Dan
                Claudia V. III
                1988 - 3218
                Gas Drives

Comment

There are two lengths of this type that are needed for the round and square lights

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These work well in the reading and accent lamps, you may even figure out that some are wired backwards

I put these in the engine room lights

I still have a few fixtures to go, including the navigation lights. Yesterday I installed LED's in the 12v panel to replace the burned out indicator lights.
                  P/C Pete
                  Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                  1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                  Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                  MMSI 367770440

Comment

I took the original square ones down, cut a piece of 1" thick teak 10" x 16" and mounted two brass Victory halogen 5" dome lights on the teak plank. I don't like LED light. These dome lights also have rotary dimmers and have had the same bulbs in them since 2007.

I got this picture off of the Victory site and it does not have the dimmer, just the toggle.

Attached files

Comment

Hi, these are really thin lights.... I'm guessing 3/8ths of an inch.

the biggest advantage is the "touch" switch. just tap it and on it goes.

Comment

The Admiral commented, even after I replaced the incandescent bulbs with led, about the round master stateroom ceiling light was that it was "crap". So, trying to be the attentive husband, I installed one of these in place of the venerable old round light with one of these:

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/luna...llb-33cw-81-ot

When she turned it on she immediately said it was too bright. So I showed her how to dim it to her liking by touching and got a "that's better" which is about as good as it gets.

If the blue option was red I'd already have one in the salon.
                        P/C Pete
                        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                        MMSI 367770440

Comment

Johnny v, Like the idea of the teak backed surface lights!
                          Craig
                          Nanaimo bc
                          1987 bayliner 3818

Comment

Working...
                          X