Useing freshwater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Useing freshwater

Ok I hope some one has a answer to this issue I have I have been useing a little bit of antifreeze in my port engine about 1 to 1.5 inches out of the expantion tank per trip I have no external leaks not one drop of any fluid under both engines, I have spent many hours with mirrors and flash lights looking the problem seemed to start when I had the manacoolors cleaned and ceramic coated they were in great shape I have a psi tester for auto but it leaks around the cap so I need to improve on this so the the big Question is can the fresh water side of cooling be pushed into the seawater side at the big orings when the engine get hot and make psi they have 7 psi caps both engine run 175 deg and run great 3000 WOT these are EH700 in a 38 bayliner with 1032 hours thanks in advanced Roy SE Alaska
    Last edited by Jim_Gandee; 02-06-2021, 01:53 PM.
    1988 3818
    EH 700
    Custom hard top enclosed

If you do have them installed, add overflow tanks. Then what exits, will return after engines cool.
    Started boating 1965
    Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

thats the problem I have overflow tank hooked to top of manicoolers with small hose next to cap but the level of antifreeze goes down till tank is empty with no engine external leaks all start after manicooler Overhaul Roy
      1988 3818
      EH 700
      Custom hard top enclosed

Comment

Buy or rent a pump to pressurize the cooling system.Its a small hand pump, a gauge, and an adapter to replace the radiator cap. If it does not hold the pressure you know you have a gasket or other leak.

Good Luck
        Richard
        1988 3870 Bayliner

Comment

LTCret wrote:
          Buy or rent a pump to pressurize the cooling system.Its a small hand pump, a gauge, and an adapter to replace the radiator cap. If it does not hold the pressure you know you have a gasket or other leak.

Good Luck
          Harbor Freight has em as cheap as you will find them. Don't over pressurize the tank, about 7 or 8 PSI is enough to see if there is a leak. Should hold pressure for a few minutes at least.

Do you see any antifreeze in the bilge? Sometimes the hose from under cap to the overflow tank can easily leak and drip into the bilge from either end?
          Started boating 1965
          Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

On my 38 EH700 I had a slow loss of coolant, turned out to be the engine side connecting hoses to the heater in the steps to the galley. This was stbd engine. The port engine has hoses to the water heater. A long shot but could one of these hoses be leaking? They travel along the port side of the hull with other hoses. Have you looked there?

Richard

Comment

first off thanks to all I have look the engine over for 2 hrs tonight and all hoses too the hot water heater with no leaks the psi tester show a slow leak from 10 psi down to 4 or 5 psi 10 minutes so I wiped to whole engine down and the bilge and left it pumped up and will look in morning if I see nothing in morning I going to change the manicooler orings This seems to have started when they were ceramic coated also fogot to mentenion that no sign of water in oil and no steam under way at 2700 RPM all is normal but small freshwater useage thank again Roy SE Alaska
              1988 3818
              EH 700
              Custom hard top enclosed

Comment

First on my 32 I found the hose clamp was preventing the cap to close completely so check to make sure the small hose clamp on the line from the over flow is not obstructing the cap. I was having the same problem and found that it has to be positioned just right. If not the cap comes up against the hose clamp and it feels like you have twisted it closed but it is almost closed but not closed tight. It drove me crazy for a few months until I figured it out. I am assuming the 38 and the 32 have the same set up where the line from the reservoir tank attached at the manicooler fill.

Comment

Is it leaking to the inside of the engine? Any signs of coolant / water in the oil? (Chocolate milk shake)

Is it leaking to the inside of the cylinders? On a car, you can see coolant burning - it comes out as bright white "smoke" or steam. But on a boat its harder to detect. This is not a likely scenario but its possible. Inspecting the condition of spark plugs could give you a sign.

With the engine running, is the coolant bubbling? Open the rad cap when cold, start the engine ... any bubbles?

Is the coolant leak burning / drying up before it reaches the bottom of the engine?

Comment

as of now no water in oil will check for bubbles in morning have no sign of of steam on start up or running I have help worker freind with his 4388 that had water in oil and it it steamed a lot so this is somthing I'm have seen but he had 250 hinos so I will look in morning and start it up ran great for 6 days over the July 4th Roy
                    1988 3818
                    EH 700
                    Custom hard top enclosed

Comment

I finally go to the bottom of my fresh water leak in my Hino EH700 and it is somthing that all should ba aware of It turns out to be that the 12 studs that attach the the manacooler to cylinder head go into water jackets and as these engines get older the sealer used by hino is breaking down and not to say I disturbed it removing them for cleaning and ceramic coating it will not leak where you can see it unless you pull the cooler away from the head the antifreeze leaks into the exhaust when I removed my cooler to look it was wet around the #4 cylinder stud I removed all 12 studs cleaned them and ran a thread chaser through head M10X1.5 to remove old sealer and reinstalled them with Loctite thread sealer put engine back together and it now hold 12 psi for 15 miniutes, If I had known about this I would have did the stud the first time because you just dont know and it only take about a hour to do with cooler removed I will say that Mike at Able marine got me going down the right path I plan to pull the other engine cooler this winter and reseal studs Roy SE Alaska
                      1988 3818
                      EH 700
                      Custom hard top enclosed

Comment

Originally posted by RDH3818 View Post
                        I finally go to the bottom of my fresh water leak in my Hino EH700 and it is somthing that all should ba aware of It turns out to be that the 12 studs that attach the the manacooler to cylinder head go into water jackets and as these engines get older the sealer used by hino is breaking down and not to say I disturbed it removing them for cleaning and ceramic coating it will not leak where you can see it unless you pull the cooler away from the head the antifreeze leaks into the exhaust when I removed my cooler to look it was wet around the #4 cylinder stud I removed all 12 studs cleaned them and ran a thread chaser through head M10X1.5 to remove old sealer and reinstalled them with Loctite thread sealer put engine back together and it now hold 12 psi for 15 miniutes, If I had known about this I would have did the stud the first time because you just dont know and it only take about a hour to do with cooler removed I will say that Mike at Able marine got me going down the right path I plan to pull the other engine cooler this winter and reseal studs Roy SE Alaska
                        Sorry to raise the dead with a 9 year old thread, but I'm wondering if an issue I had recently is related:

My #1 exhaust port was leaking exhaust gas and there was a mysterious fluid bubbling at the seal between the head exhaust port and the manicooler runner. I couldn't figure out where this fluid was coming from or whether it was oil (prior to oil change so the oil was black) or coolant (possibly turned black by the carbon in the exhaust). There was no evidence of it having leaked down from the valve cover or anything like that. I didn't think there could possibly be that much oil in the exhaust. Is it possible that this was a slight coolant leak in the place you described, escaping with the exhaust gases at that loose connection?

Note, I re-torqued my exhaust bolts and the exhaust gas leak stopped. I never really did understand where the liquid was coming from though.

Video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frz_3dihR_8
                        Brad
                        Lake Union, Seattle
                        1987 Bayliner 4550 "Ark Angel"
                        Hino EH700T / MG-502 / Cummins Onan 7kw
                        Seattle Yacht Club

Comment

• Centerline2
                          Centerline2 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          it really is better to start your own thread, as some wont even open a thread after its a year old, and most of us try not to.... old threads can be a good way to browse for information, but not so good for replying to in the forum.....

One of the Cummins engines on my boat used coolant, no leaks evident. When I was winterising, I found green water in the raw water side of the heat exchanger. removed the exchanger, filled it with water, plugged the outlets, pressurised it and saw bubbles.

Replaced the exchanger, no more coolant loss.

Comment

Working...
                        X