Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Injector cross reference for Man Diesel injectors-gctid812669

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you knew of a place I could find a cross-reference for injectors. I have MAN 610 diesels and its time to service or replace my injectors and need to find a good source for them. I believe the MAN part number is 51.10100-7407 and would love to figure out a cross-reference to another company like Bosch or whomever.

Thanks in advance,

~BJ

OMEGA

BJ
    OMEGA

Call Seattle Injector Company: http://www.seattleinjector.com/. They may be able to cross reference them.
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA

Comment

BJ

What are your engine hours. Just curious and can't help with your question?!
      Joe
      2001 5288
      Lucky Liner ll

Comment

My engine hours are about 1700....

I've been having issues with sooting on the rear of the boat when I cruise. After talking to serveral guys, I ran into a gentleman at the Roche harbor get together that was VERY knowlwdgable about the history of the 5288 and 5788 boats, as his team commissioned every one of the hulls made and worked through a lot of engine/hull set ups. Evidentially, because of the 35"pitch in the props, the Man 610 engines tended to burn injectors every time the engines ran above 2000 rpm more than a couple minutes , as it somehow loaded the engines to hard. When they re-pitched the props to about 33", the engine runs better and the sooting seems to get solved. The less pitched props do not load up the engines and thier performance becomes rock solid. That said, he indicated that as long as the engines are kept under 2000 rpm's with 35" piteched prop, the injectors seem to be ok and don't soot things up.

After all my disussions I'm convinced by sooting is a failed injector or so. When I started looking into things, the injectors weren't easily cross referenced. I called several injector rebuild places and had no luck. I was hoping soemone had an alternate part number/manufacturer for the injectors, as I am dreading Man's crazy prices... History has shown Man wants sometimes 10 times or more the price thier parts than the same part from the actual manufacturer, sometimes. A good example is the water pump impellers ...

~BJ
        BJ
        OMEGA

Comment

Please, if you find them, let me know. We also soot.
          Joe
          2001 5288
          Lucky Liner ll

Comment

And thanks
            Joe
            2001 5288
            Lucky Liner ll

Comment

I will... the injevtor information seems to be fairly elusive... I'm wondering if it's a holy grail of the engines.... lol...
              BJ
              OMEGA

Comment

Dawns on me: met a Napa parts guy, yacht club member in Astoria who successfully cross referenced several filters for me. Told me not to buy belts or other stuff elsewhere without assuming a lot of risk...that he could do it. He was pretty convincing. I'll try him in the morning.

Joe
                Joe
                2001 5288
                Lucky Liner ll

Comment

Try Toby, napa, Astoria Oregon. He needs serial numbers, model number etc. he also says that he has a source for rebuilding them in Eugene. His number is 503-325-2411

Good luck.

Joe
                  Joe
                  2001 5288
                  Lucky Liner ll

Comment

That's awesome! Thank you ... I will try to call him...

BJ
                    BJ
                    OMEGA

Comment

BJ,

Just about back from Alaska and saw your post. I had a conversation with Cris at RDI in Seattle about getting some spare injectors to keep on board my 5788 for the 610 M.A.N.s. He said he has a source that rebuilds them for about $250. Plus core. Check with him as he has been very helpful to me. Speaking of injector issues, I had an injector line break right at the nut holding it to the injector itself. I was doing about 1800 rpm in the middle of the Clarence straight with 5 to 7 foot following seas @ 4 seconds and 30 plus knot winds. Believe me that was exciting. Fuel being sprayed all over my port engine and my admiral smelling a heavy fuel leak. All of a sudden the boat started running very rough under heavy load. I immediately came back to idle thinking I had hit a log or something like that. A visit quickly to the engine room found a heavy spray of fuel emitting from the broken stainless steel line. I shut down the engine immediately and now had to deal with coming about on one engine in heavy seas. I was able to limp into Meyers Chuck to assess the problem more fully. I could not get onto the small dock already with several boats using only one engine in that wind. I was fortunate to be able to anchor in the bay but the anchor was dragging. It gave me enough time to get in the engine room to make temporary repairs which consisted of taking a hammer to the injector line to pinch off the flow. That done, I was able to start the port engine to help with docking. It was only running on 5 cylinders but it was running. Try maneuvering a 5788 at slow speed on only one engine and you will appreciate my dilemma. Once safely tied to the dock, wind howling, I could settle into the task of assessing damage and finding a fix and parts. Here is where Cris at RDI stepped up and got parts coming to me to pick up in Juneau. One of the best things I brought along for the trip was some biodegradable degreaser and a Hudson sprayer. I was able to clean up the mess and then motor the next two and a half days on one engine to Juneau. Once there, my buddy Jim Gandee, this foram's moderator, helped me install a new fuel line and we were good to go. This is a situation that you just cannot have anticipated or had the proper parts to fix on the spot. Thank goodness for a hammer. All the remaining injector lines will be replace at my return to Portland. A really positive thing about this incident is the knowledge both my wife and I gained about the capabilities of our boat and its crew.
                      Bob and Lulu
                      1997 5788 'Starship' MAN 610s
                      1996 3988
                      1993 3058
                      Vida, Oregon

Comment

Once there, my buddy Jim Gandee, this forum's moderator, helped me install a new fuel line and we were good to go
                        I was a good pointer and wrench getter, not unlike the perverbial CalTrans guy that holds the shovel while the others do all the work.
                        Jim Gandee
                        1989 3888
                        Hino 175's
                        Fire Escape
                        [email protected]
                        Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Holy cow Bob... what a ride...

It sounds like my ride in rough seas when I lost my water pump and had to limp home on one engine... I'm sure it was nothing like you experienced, I can only imagine the surprise to find fuel spewing everywhere.... aaaahhhh! That would be nerve wracking at the least... I'm just so glad you guys are safe and got it taken care of quickly.

BJ
                          BJ
                          OMEGA

Comment

Oh wow... I forgot to update the latest in the decoding the injector riddle...

I finally got one out and after considerable research, I think we found what they are. we've ordered a set of new ones from Bosch and am hopin they'll be here this week will be able to get them installed and be done with my sooting... I will post the part numbers and such after I get them installed to be sure they're the right ones... there is hope though. I also have a line on a place in Oregon to rebuild my old injectors for about 180 each.

Stay tuned,

BJ
                            BJ
                            OMEGA

Comment

BJ, you are the man !

maybe you should start a thread on cross referenced parts like the impellers you found then these injectors. so lazy people like me can find them easily in the future :-)

the original 57 I was looking at smoked quite heavily but the one I bought is completely smoke free for now, so maybe this is a while off for me, but great to know for the future.
                              BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
                              5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
                              Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

Comment

Working...
                              X