Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

light colored stain over teak-gctid812655

i have a 1985 3270 Explorer.

I want to re-finish some wood work on the back deck. including the swim ladder steps. After sanding off the existing stain and varnish, I find the wood is teak. Which is darker than the light colored oak stain (maybe oak colored).

I'm curious how you make a dark teak lighter in appearance. Looks like a few coats of spar varnish seals it up. Any thoughts or ideas ?

Thx Dave

Once you get to the bare wood use a good quality teak cleaner. There are several out there. I'm sure others will chime in about their favorite brand. The teak cleaner will bring back the color the teak should be.

Greg
    Newport, Oregon
    South Beach Marina
    1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
    Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
    Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

You can't make wood lighter with stain. Only paint will make it lighter.

Sand more!

I'm doing my steps as we speak. Just finished second coat of Cetol natural teak. 3rd coat tomorrow. Clear coat Friday. Second clear coat Saturday.
      Esteban
      Huntington Beach, California
      2018 Element 16
      Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
      Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Teak A & B. Cleaner then bleach
        www.boatyardgm.com
        www.pacificyachtimports.net
        2002 Carver Voyager 57
        "Making Waves"
        3988 250 Hinos
        "The Dark Side"
        Alameda, California

Comment

Teaka A & B. Cleaner then bleach
          www.boatyardgm.com
          www.pacificyachtimports.net
          2002 Carver Voyager 57
          "Making Waves"
          3988 250 Hinos
          "The Dark Side"
          Alameda, California

Comment

yep Teak A&B sure saves a lot of work
            1988 flybridge trophy bayliner 2556 ,mercury 5.7 lit. OMC cobra out drive 76 hrs. on new package,
            located in ketchikan ak,name DOMINION

Comment

I used OxyClean and a ScotchBrite pad letting the Oxy soak in a bit then lightly across the grain, then VERY lightly with the grain so I didn't inadvertently remove any of the softer layers. Rinsed well after each of three cleaner cycled ( this poor boat I bought had many years of pretty much no between season upkeep). Once completely dry I applied several coats of Tung Oil. The oils soak in, replenishing what the wood's lost over the years. The wood looks great! and when I started asking questions, I remember one comment saying if you varnish, make sure it has UV protectants in it or there's a risk the varnish could begin losing its luster and could begin to craze/ crack or peel. And once you redo it with whatever method you choose it'd be best to add cleaning and reapplying to your between season "to do" list.
              Dave
              Restoring/ upgrading: 1990 Ciera Sunbridge 2655 ST, "One Particular Harbour"
              5.7 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 1 (my floating retirement villa if it doesn't kill me first)
              Sold:
              1995 SeaPro 210 C/C "Hydro-Therapy"
              Mariner 150
              Towing with:
              2002 Ford F 350 7.3L Super Duty
              Near High Rock Lake, N.C.

Comment

Once you have it stripped, you can use laundry bleach, then rinse it thoroughly with vinegar. Let it dry. You can do it multiple times, though the more times, the less change you will see.

I use a hi-build UV spar varnish, usually 4 coats, lightly sanding between each. It does, however, leave an amber coloring to it. Only a water-based UV acrylic will have no color, but IMO, they have yet to perfect one that lasts like any UV spar varnish.

I've used Cetol, including the sealer, color and finish, but never had good results with it.
                "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
                MMSI: 367637220
                HAM: KE7TTR
                TDI tech diver
                BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
                Kevin

Comment

Working...
                X