Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compass on Bayliner 3988-gctid812557

Good morning,

Anybody would know the model and size of the compass on a 3988 of 1995.

I would like to repair mine (no oil in it) but I forgot to look at the model number last weekend

Thanks
    Eric
    Bayliner 3988 1995 Hino 250hp

There's a special mineral oil that is used. It isn't specific to any model number. Just pour it in and see if the seal holds. Often the oil expands in the sun and pushes out without damaging the seal.
    1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

They came with a Danforth Constellation which are no longer made. There is one repair facility you can google online.

I replaced mine with a slightly smaller Richie compass and used the Danforth retaining ring epoxied to the Richie to retain

the look and cover the cutout.
      "Adios Dinero"
      1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
      Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

Comment

Thanks for the info
        Eric

Comment

Here's a compass adjusting and repair business: http://www.islandmarineinst.com/
          1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
          Anacortes, WA

Comment

Isopar L is the fluid. West Marine has it.
            1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Replacing fluid is fine assuming that the 20 year old flexible diaphragm in the bottom is still in good shape.

In most units of this age it too will need replacing and parts are not easy to find.

This is approaching replacement values with shipping etc.
              "Adios Dinero"

Comment

Original Danforth Constellation at lower helm, still working fine

New Richie Compass with original Constellation trim ring on flybridge, sorry about the camera angle. And, yes, they both read the same, the boat was swinging on her lines.

"Adios Dinero"

Comment

"The Other Gary" post=812754 wrote:
                  Original Danforth Constellation at lower helm, still working fine

New Richie Compass with original Constellation trim ring on flybridge, sorry about the camera angle. And, yes, they both read the same, the boat was swinging on her lines.

My lower helm one too is in excellent condition, the upper one was half filled with fluid but it is in great condition too because this is a fresh water boat with enclosure and a helm's cover.
                  Eric

Comment

I had a local guy try a repair on my old Danforth's (circa 2000) which was complicated by an old card inside not being compatible with Southern Hemisphere which meant trying to rebalance the card. It worked for a month or so, then the bubble started to appear and get larger. In other words the oil was slowly leaking out.

The organisation that I think Gary was referring to is Viking Optics. They bought up all the spares etc when Danforth closed. They had a repair deal and I had one of mine rebuilt. But as always, it depends on how much you want to pay. The guys name back then was Howard Maglathlin. Email [email protected].

Hope it helps. Cheers
                    John H
                    Brisbane QLD Aust
                    "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

Working...
                    X