Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sliding Port Window-gctid812459

Hello,

Does anybody know the measurements for the two sliding port windows, on a 3870

I like to order two replacement windows but need to make sure that my sizes are correct.

Specs:

10 ›" H x 62 ›" W Outside flange size.

Clear anodized frame finish.

3" Radius corners.

┬╝" Tinted laminated safety glass.

Clamp ring mount

What is the true thickness 1/8" to 2 ›" HELP?:unsure:

Thanks

Doug

Are you talking about the aft set that goes from the aft, port side of the salon and runs along most of the seats? Or, the forward set that run essentially from the forward outboard corner to the windshield. Both open. Then, are you looking for the glass or the complete assembly frame and all. I'm having a real hard time understanding why you would need the frame unless it is very badly damaged.

If it's because your windows don't slide, replacing the glide channels is relatively easy and there is almost zero disassembly; not counting getting the old stuff out.

How about a few pictures to help us help you. The glass part is more of a needing a pattern requirement, but then you go into the anodized aluminum and my brain starts to fry.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

Pete,

Do you have a source for the glide channels? I need them for ALL my sliding windows.
      Gibraltar, Mi.
      1986- 3870- Hino 175's
      1988 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
      14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

Here are a couple, I think I got at least one of them from another thread here, but, as you can see, there is a rather diverse price.

https://www.dkhardware.com/96-flexib...ml#description

https://www.finesthardware.com/crl-a...-and-f-85-olds

I've only done the aft salon windows so far. The po had ordered but not installed a bunch of the channels, so I used them up and have ordering and installing the rest is on the to-do list. In my poking around, my feeble memory is that I could only find one manufacturer and I only spent half an hour shopping for retailers. My next step is to bring a chunk that I trimmed off the length when installing what I have to make sure the shape is correct. I plan on going to the boat today so I'll try for confirmation.

With the price difference being so much, and you are probably going to need 16 of these, be sure to watch your shipping cost. I always look at the total cost delivered to my hands before ordering. I made the mistake of ordering a disk brake conversion kit, made in Indiana, from a retailer in New England, then paid shipping to north of Seattle. The shipping made the total cost significantly more expensive than if I would have bought the kit elsewhere and not taken advantage of the "sale price".

If you haven't read how to install the glides, the glass doesn't come out. I opened each window as best as it would open then used needle nose locking pliers, a beater screwdriver, utility knives, shop vac and lots of blessings to pull and chip the lower channel out first. Then the top one would come out reasonably well. Not as much UV degradation. Then I cleaned the aluminum frame, shot a very small amount of silicon spray onto the rubber and slid it in over, then under the glass. The glass had to move back and forth a few times in the process then I could pull the channel under the glass rather than push it. The old glides had slots cut where the frame drains are, so I did the same.

The Admiral opened the aft windows over Memorial Day, then tried the forward ones. I then had to explain, in detail, why one set worked easily and the other hardly at all. I got the " and when are you going to fix the rest of them". Nuff said there.

Pete
        P/C Pete
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        MMSI 367770440

Comment

I think he's talking about the galley and stateroom sliding windows on a 38. The ones that get real sticky and are hard to open.

You can also buy the flocked channel, the rubber stuff for the salon sliding windows, from C.R. Laurance. The horizontal and the vertical ones are a bit different.

Comment

Sorry for the confusion, it the galley and stateroom sliding windows on my 3870.

Seals are bad and need to replace frames and windows.

Size 62W x 101/2 H with 3" Radius Corners but I need to confirm the thickness .

I don' t want to remove both sets of frames and window as the ETA is 5 -7 weeks plus shipping.

Like to continue being out on the water and when the new window arrive pop them out and install on the weekend.

Thanks.

Comment

The seals on those can be replaced and if the frame to hull is an issue, you are going to be rebedding the flange either way.

Sunbird, here's a picture of the shape that the po left.

Attached files

P/C Pete
              1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
              MMSI 367770440

Comment

He's not talking about the rubber flocking, he's talking about the narrow and long sliding windows over the galley sink and in the guest stateroom. There's is no flocking in those windows. You have to pull the complete widow and frame out. A couple of the members on here have done it.

I just spray the heck out of them with silicone spray and work it back and forth every couple of months.

Comment

Hi Johnny,

Yes, you're correct!

I do need to pull the complete widow and frame out and install new window and frames

The frames are bad shape, rubber seals are hanging out and previous owner has add a tube or two of Silicon

Comment

I didn't realize your frames were bad. That sucks. I'm a repair/refurbish before replacing kind of guy. Where are you ordering your new window assemblies from?

Johnny, Sunbird had asked about the flocked rubber. With all the confusion, I'm thinking Microsoft is involved. :blush:
                    P/C Pete
                    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                    MMSI 367770440

Comment

Hi Payback,

I read on here some time back that they are a real B**tch to get out. I remember the guy making some kind of a 2x4 frame to pull them and I think some of the gel coat pulled off too. Maybe they were put in with 5200!!!

Comment

Here's where you buy the replacements.

Mfg and sold by...

Hehr International Inc

Los Angeles

You want the window tinted and screened with the clamp ring

Part # 01 1961 and 91 1962

They will know what you are talking about when you ask for it with the year of your boat

Comment

Johnny,

The sliding windows above my sink and in the 2nd stateroom have some type of flocking in the lower channel. Would Hehr carry that material?

Mike (Sunbird)
                          Gibraltar, Mi.
                          1986- 3870- Hino 175's
                          1988 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
                          14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

I don't know. Maybe give them a call.

Comment

There are some good threads on this subject including removal

I will add my two cents having done the mid cabin one this spring

They are a bear getting out - I am sure that they where installed with 5200.

I found DEBOND marine formula spray and that made it possible for me to get it out intact. Buy plastic wedges from Pep Boys/auto supply to assist - take your time but the spray will break the seal. I ordered it from Hamilton marine supply.

Took it to a glass shop and they repaired it for $200 bucks in about two weeks - they had to order the channel material

To cover the hole if you are using the boat a simply plywood cover could be made (I did my in the winter so just covered with taped plastic)

Great to have the cross ventilation back - surprised at the different it makes

RDOIII
                              Ron O'Blenis
                              B 38 175 Hinos 1989
                              Completed Great Loop
                              https://ronandfaye.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X