Grey engine oil eh700t-gctid811990

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grey engine oil eh700t-gctid811990

Was getting ready to put in the water this week and decided to do the oil change today. Unfortunately I got a bad surprise. Does anyone have the part number for the head gasket?

What makes you think it's the head gasket?

Leak down test done?
    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
    93 3058 sold
    92 2855 (day boat)
    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
    Longbranch WA
    Life is Good

Comment

Loosing prestone

Comment

can't guess head gasket just because losing coolant...
        Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
        Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
        93 3058 sold
        92 2855 (day boat)
        91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
        Longbranch WA
        Life is Good

Comment

"Ruffryder" post=812000 wrote:
          can't guess head gasket just because losing coolant...
          and coolant in the engine oil?

Comment

Suggest you do some real diagnosis as suggested.

There is an oil cooler that could have leak among may other things

Might be good idea to hire a mechanic on this one.

But as a yard manager once said - "start with the simple - we can always move on to the difficult later"
            Ron O'Blenis
            B 38 175 Hinos 1989
            Completed Great Loop
            https://ronandfaye.blogspot.com/

Comment

"RDOIII" post=812024 wrote:

But as a yard manager once said - "start with the simple - we can always move on to the difficult later"
              Actually was the mechanic that gave the idea. But I figured I could get the gasket kit forehand and return them if after he inspect it and it's not that.

Comment

I have the same problem but you need to do compression test first. If it's good then you need.to look at exhaust manifolds. Losing coolant can also be heat exchanger or oil cooler. Head gasket is worse case. Don't go there until you know exactly what the problem is. Otherwise you could put it back together and still have the same problem.

If you have trouble finding parts under the US marine power name those were really made by chris craft there is a guy back east that sells all the parts for those.

Here is the link

http://www.chris-craft-parts.com
                1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
                twin 454's
                MV Mar-Y-Sol
                1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
                Twin chevy 350's inboard
                Ben- Jamin
                spokane Washington

Comment

I have the same problem but you need to do compression test first. If it's good then you need.to look at exhaust manifolds. Losing coolant can also be heat exchanger or oil cooler. Head gasket is worse case. Don't go there until you know exactly what the problem is. Otherwise you could put it back together and still have the same problem.
                  1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
                  twin 454's
                  MV Mar-Y-Sol
                  1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
                  Twin chevy 350's inboard
                  Ben- Jamin
                  spokane Washington

Comment

"1thefox1" post=812030 wrote:

Actually was the mechanic that gave the idea. But I figured I could get the gasket kit forehand and return them if after he inspect it and it's not that.
                    So in response to your question on parts

https://www.marinepartssupply.com/ In BC Canada Hino parts distributor

North Harbor Diesel is also good source - all though last month I called twice and left message and never got a call back but have had good service in the past

RDOII

https://www.marinepartssupply.com/
                    Ron O'Blenis
                    B 38 175 Hinos 1989
                    Completed Great Loop
                    https://ronandfaye.blogspot.com/

Comment

"RDOIII" post=812139 wrote:

North Harbor Diesel is also good source - all though last month I called twice and left message and never got a call back but have had good service in the past

RDOII

Thank you, someone gave me their number today and they have the parts in stock.

Comment

"1thefox1" post=812276 wrote:
                        "RDOIII" post=812139 wrote:

RDOII

Thank you, someone gave me their number today and they have the parts in stock.
                        What part did you confirm thst was bad? There are several different parts that could allow water to enter the engine oil.
                        Started boating 1965
                        Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Well after looking at it my mechanic was no longer sure it was the head gasket (the oil residue in the top end looked fine). So he decided to remove the oil cooler to have a presure test. All the bolts were stuck and took almost 10 hours to remove it!! Will find out Monday morning after the rad place does the presure test on it (they all close at noon at Friday!)

Comment

Just got a call from the radiator place and they say the cooler does not leak. After removing the valve cover my mechanic no longer thinks it the head gasket and now after removing the cooler it's looks like that is not the problem. The guy at the radiator place said it could be condensation that changed the color of the oil. I have a hard time with that remark considering the amount of oil there is in the engine. It would of needed a lot of condensation to change the color. Last year I had to add more than a couple of gallons of coolant to the engine (100 hours of use), but it did not appear in the engine oil. Someone else mentioned that part could be a coolant leak in the manifold getting mixed with sea water. Here is a pick of the engine with the valve cover removed.

Comment

"Last year I had to add more than a couple of gallons of coolant to the engine (100 hours of use"

Have you pressure tested the coolant system to rule that possibility out entirely?

Do you have any sort of 'heater' plumbed into that engine? (water heater or space heater)

"Someone else mentioned that part could be a coolant leak in the manifold getting mixed with sea water."

Have you inspected the riser and turbo turbine wheel on that engine to rule out raw water running back to an exhaust valve?

How old is the riser on that engine?
                              Northport NY

Comment

Working...
                              X