X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mickklass
    Supporting Member
    • May 2016

4550 Sliding Salon Window Removal

I have an item I want to get into the salon on my 4550, but it is too large to pass through the sliding door. Is it possible to remove the panes from the sliding windows in the salon without disassembling or removing the frames? If so, how?

-Mick
    Last edited by Jim_Gandee; 04-14-2019, 09:27 PM.
    -Mick
    1995 4788 "Embark"
    Bremerton, WA
    Vice Commodore, Port Orchard Yacht Club
  • Destiny_4588
    Supporting Member
    • Sep 2007

You can remove the windows in the salon. You start by removing the top weather strip, then the bottom weather strip. Then the window will have enough room to come out.

If you are doing this, now is great time to replace that weather stripping. Use soap and water makes putting them back in a lot easier!
    Mark
    USCG OUPV
    1990 4588
    Carlsbad, CA

Comment

• mickklass
      Supporting Member
      • May 2016

Thanks, Mark. That's helpful.

Any idea where to get replacement weatherstrip with 2 tracks?

-Mick
      -Mick
      1995 4788 "Embark"
      Bremerton, WA

Comment

• Chart-table
        Frequent Contributor
        • Aug 2016

I removed my weatherstripping and tried to take out my windows on my 1990 4588, but I was unable to get them out. I wanted to bring in a new couch, but ended up getting it in the aft door. I was thinking that the window opening may have sagged due to age. I guess I could have ground down the edges of the frames to allow the windows to be removed. If you do a search on the forum, there are a few threads outlining where to order the weatherstripping.
        David
        Sidney, B.C.
        MV Cassiopeia V
        1990 4588
        twin 250 hp Hinos
        9kw Fisher Panda (new 2020)
        Call Sign: CFDF
        MMSI: 316014351

Comment

• Destiny_4588
          Supporting Member
          • Sep 2007

I believe it is this one

Buy CRL AS146696 96" Flexible Flocked Rubber Glass Run Channel for 1969-1971 Chevy II, Chevelle, Tempest and F-85 Olds online at DKHardware.com. Our Automotive Hardware category offers a great selection of Auto Glass Channels products at the best price!

But the 4588 was made at 2 factories one in West coast and one east. Our boat came from east so I have notice some items are slightly different...I would measure the old to make sure you get the right size
          Mark
          USCG OUPV
          1990 4588
          Carlsbad, CA

Comment

• mickklass
            Supporting Member
            • May 2016

Thanks, Mark. Ours was built in Arlington, WA.
            -Mick
            1995 4788 "Embark"
            Bremerton, WA

Comment

• Swimmster
              Frequent Contributor
              • Jan 2018

I know this is an older thread, but.. question on the OTHER weather strip on the edge of the window glass... There's an aluminum strip on the edge of each piece of glass, and on the inside edges there's supposed to be a rubber flap to keep out wind and rain. pretty much every one of my windows has had this flap disintegrated. Any ideas on how to replace that strip? We are actually getting ready to pull the side glass to retint all the windows. Am ordering the above mentioned weather strip to replace what we have.

Comment

• Jmason
                Supporting Member
                • Feb 2014

Yes the window slide channel info is on an old thread. Make sure you order the correct track depth for top and bottom. I seem to recall that the uprights were a different depth. Install is easy: lift window, slide out the old bottom track, soap & slide in new, make sure it is seated. Same for top.
                MOST IMPORTANT: cut the drain slots on the bottom track to allow for rain drainage. Otherwise the overflow will fill the interior drain passage, over flow, & a new mystery leak ensues.

Comment

• Swimmster
                  Frequent Contributor
                  • Jan 2018

I can;t seem to find any info on the other seal.. The track seals I am ordering, but the vertical seal that's attached to the glass, that seals between the two panes.. That is something I can't find any info on at all.. Blah.. I pulled one pane of glass the other day to see if I could tint it better on the coffee table.. Discovered just how bad the track seals are. lol.. But yeah. I gotta find a source for that vertical seal for in between the two panes. I get a crap ton of rain thru those.

Comment

Working...