VERIZON WIRELESS CUT OUR ROAMING DATA IN BRITISH COLUMBIA-gctid811519

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VERIZON WIRELESS CUT OUR ROAMING DATA IN BRITISH COLUMBIA-gctid811519

We have had our boat in British Columbia for just under a year and a while back I added the unlimited plan to our cell service that gave us unlimited data and streaming for our new smart TV,s Upon our return to the boat this week after being stateside we found that the data plan for our service had been reduced to 500 MB per day . We checked with local providers yesterday only to find that as Americans we cannot subscribe to their service .

We are now looking for a cell service plan or standalone data plan that will assist us for our purposes and are wondering what you use. Using the iPad as a back up navigation system is highly desirable for us but we cannot do it under this current plan for less than $10 per day.

Thanks.

Thanks in advance
    Joe
    2001 5288
    Lucky Liner ll

Did you check the prepaid plans in BC? I believe that anyone, non-residents included, can get one.
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA
    Isla Verde, PR

Comment

"jas0381" post=8115191 wrote:
      Using the iPad as a back up navigation system is highly desirable for us but we cannot do it under this current plan for less than $10 per day
      Apps like Garmin Blue Charts only require that you purchase and download the maps. From then on they are local to your device and would not burn any data at all. I believe others work the same way. Doesn't help with your TV but does give you backup navigation without data
      Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

http://www.cellsavings.ca/

Comment

Use Navionics for all your navigation needs. One time charge for using it on your tablet. You will need the US Canada version. I think a one time charge of $50 will give you all of Washington, BC and Alaska charts you want to download. Cheapest way I know of to get all the BC charts. We were able to use the same acct and password and load Navionics on our cell phones and another tablet. Your tablet needs an internal GPS likely. After charts downloaded there are no on going charges to use unless you want to pay for a yearly update to the charts.
          Started boating 1965
          Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Yep, Navionics is data free as a chart system so that solves that. If you want a Telus account (Telus is the best water coverage) simply use your B.C. marina address as your residence. If you don't have a BC marina, choose one for the address. However, I am finding it difficult to believe you cannot get a local sim card from any carrier. It's done internationally all the time.
            1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Uncle Bob,

Yes. We are having trouble with that too. We have discussed this with seasoned representatives from Telus and Rogers Wireless not to mention the Best Buy store in Vancouver. All want a Canadian I'd and credit card.

One last shot is Costco. We do have a photo I'd on the card. If that helps?

Anyone who is following this thread might like to know that t mobile still has unlimited data, even in Canada and they CLAIM, all the way up to the district manager, that this is a signature plan that won't go away.

We will have to go back to Washington to sign up and this is my leading option, even though I'll eat a big chunk of dollars because of my brand new phone.

Shoot self in foot to avenge Verizon!!!
              Joe
              2001 5288
              Lucky Liner ll

Comment

I think the issue is signing up for an installment plan vs. a pay as you go, prepaid plan. I've bought prepaid SIMs in a number of places around the world and ID has never been required.

This site might be of help:

http://www.comparecellular.com/compa...and-sim-cards/
                1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                Anacortes, WA
                Isla Verde, PR

Comment

Telus will sell you a pre-paid 1GB sim card for your unlocked phone. You can top it up as required.
                  1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

T mobile is paying off phone balances if you jump ship from Verizon.
                    1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
                    1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
                    Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

"kwb" post=811862 wrote:
                      T mobile is paying off phone balances if you jump ship from Verizon.
                      With T-Mobile's crappy network... I can't see that happening.
                      Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

I thought the same thing but was talking with a few people last weekend that have had great service with them all the way up the inside passage.
                        1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
                        1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
                        Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

I gave version the boot last year cut my cell phone down from $500+ a month to $217 unlimited from T mobile. Unless I get way out it always has good service.

I will admit that Verizon has better coverage but Verizon's prices are ridiculous
                          1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
                          twin 454's
                          MV Mar-Y-Sol
                          1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
                          Twin chevy 350's inboard
                          Ben- Jamin
                          spokane Washington

Comment

T Mobile sucks in Canada
                            Started boating 1965
                            Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

We've used T Mobile in Canada for phone and iPad data with very little issues over past couple of years. Price is great and it far from sucks in my experience. We are out for 3 months so both Verizon and ATT were cost prohibited. T Mobile you pay the same US rates. Just got back from 2 weeks in Europe, same low US rates there.

Machog
                              1996 4087 Lazy Days
                              2011 11’ West Marine Rib 350 Lazy Mac
                              2011 Porsche Cayman
                              2010 Lexus IS 250C
                              2008 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

Working...
                              X