X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • halfcreek
    Frequent Contributor
    • Mar 2017

Salon Blinds "95" 3988

Finally made it down to Florida to clean up my newly purchased 1995 3988. Does anyone have any ideas on window coverings for the funny angled shaped side windows in the Salon. It currently has custom fit (but trashed) aluminum blinds which the Admiral says have to go. I am trying to avoid hiring a Blind professional for custom ones because of the logistics problem with the boat in florida and me in Colorado. Any ideas?
  • bal734
    Supporting Member
    • Jan 2011

"Impasse". 2001 3988
    Cummins 330's
    Puget Sound

"You don't want to be the richest guy in the nursing home..."

Comment

• Omega
      Seasoned Member
      • Apr 2013

I recently replaced my bwindow coverings with some Levelor cellular shades. Though they were fairly straight forward, when I was surfing the web looking for the best prices, I saw several companies that offered custom, odd sizied window coverings that didn't seem to teribky expensive. I'm sorry that I don't know more about how you would template or shapes for online purchase, but I thought I would pass along that I saw some various options online when I was looking, myself.

Good luck,

BJ

OMEGA

BJ
      OMEGA

Comment

• Jebbb
        Fresh Face
        • Feb 2017

Just started installing new blinds on my 4087. Also went with Levelor. Special ordered through Lowes matching the wood accents in the boat. Measured the actual window size. Don't remember if the 3988 has the vinyl casing or not around the windows, but make sure you size the width of the channel as it slopes to the contour both fore and aft. Looks 100% better. Some slight modifications needed on hanging them, but very happy so far with what we got.

Hope this helps.
        John
        "VGER"
        1996 4087 Cummins 315's
        San Diego, CA

Comment

• Boyd
          • Oct 2016

"Jebbb" post=811495 wrote:
          Just started installing new blinds on my 4087. Also went with Levelor. Special ordered through Lowes matching the wood accents in the boat. Measured the actual window size. Don't remember if the 3988 has the vinyl casing or not around the windows, but make sure you size the width of the channel as it slopes to the contour both fore and aft. Looks 100% better. Some slight modifications needed on hanging them, but very happy so far with what we got.

Hope this helps.
          Any pictures, Jebbb?
          Why Naut
          1996 Bayliner 4087
          Twin Cummins 250 HP 6BTA5.9 M2
          Anacortes, WA

MMSI 338311223

Comment

• Jebbb
            Fresh Face
            • Feb 2017

Any pictures, Jebbb?

Starboard side is done. Sunday was just too nice of a day to finish. Decided to go on a cruise instead of installing the port. Sorry, away from the boat now, but will snap some shots when I go back.
            John
            "VGER"
            1996 4087 Cummins 315's
            San Diego, CA

Comment

• Ahaua
              Supporting Member
              • Dec 2016

I just bought a 2001 3988 and I have to agree that the "odd shaped" blinds are a pain in the ass! I have other priorities now with the boat, but finding a better solution to these blinds is definitely on my list. Let me know what you come up with.
              Alex
              Orange County, Ca.
              2001 3988
              Twin Cummins 330's

Comment

• knuckledragger
                Seasoned Member
                • Apr 2015

Saw these recently at a boat show in D├╝sseldorf Germany. They are from a company called Ocean Air. I had them come measure my boat but the cost would have been almost 5 grand!

Comment

• Ahaua
                  Supporting Member
                  • Dec 2016

Thanks for sharing that.....but 5 grand!? I think I'll put up with the current blinds for a while...lol. I'm going to a boat show in San Diego on June 18th and will see if there's another solution out there....will post if I find something.
                  Alex
                  Orange County, Ca.
                  2001 3988
                  Twin Cummins 330's

Comment

• knuckledragger
                    Seasoned Member
                    • Apr 2015

I'll be there on the 15th!

Comment

We ordered a plastic faux wood blinds, 1" to the length of the windows and original blinds to replace the corroded metal blinds.

The faux wood blind is heavier than the aluminum blind, however the of shape can be cut slat by slat with a pair of heavy scissors.

Relatively cheap. Make sure that you get your pulls and rotation adjustments in the correct configuration for access and use. The hardest part was the mounting. The valance ad to come down.

Comment

• halfcreek
                        Frequent Contributor
                        • Mar 2017

Masonj...Do you have any pictures? What Brand? where did you purchase them? Starving for all the info I can get. Thanks

Comment

• Ahaua
                          Supporting Member
                          • Dec 2016

Nice! Probably going on Friday. In either case, let us know if you come up with any good finds.....hoping that there will be some electronic vendors. I'm researching new chart plotter, radar and auto pilot...
                          Alex
                          Orange County, Ca.
                          2001 3988
                          Twin Cummins 330's

Comment

• knuckledragger
                            Seasoned Member
                            • Apr 2015

I went with Garmin on plotter and autopilot and couldn't be happier. I also am planning on sending you a pic on my bow pulpit. I did it a little differently than anyone else I have seen.

Comment

• Ahaua
                              Supporting Member
                              • Dec 2016

Like you, I'm leaning towards Garmin for chart plotter, radar, (probably solid state), and auto pilot. Which Chartplotter did you get? And anxious to see your newly fabricated bow pulpit....I need to start that project soon! Looking forward to your pics...
                              Alex
                              Orange County, Ca.
                              2001 3988
                              Twin Cummins 330's

Comment

Working...