4587 with Hino diesels-gctid811278

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4587 with Hino diesels-gctid811278

Hello! My Wife and I currently own a Silverton 40C, and are looking at a 1995 4587 Motoryacht to use as live aboards. It has Hino 300hp diesels with 685/696 hours. We love the layout of the 4587 I really know nothing of the large Bayliner boats, and nothing of the Hino engines. I have plenty of experience with other diesel manufacturers though. I have been reading many things good and bad on the Hino. I was hoping to get any info to help with our decision. Thank you!

Hi Fireplug,

I had hinos in my 4588 and loved how hearty and reliable they were... Though I did hear some could be more difficult than others, I never had issues finding parts, as I could always find someone to help find parts when I needed them,

BJ

OMEGA

BJ
    OMEGA

Comment

Lot of Hino trucks out there. Some parts are costly, but over the use of your boat, not more than alternatives.
      1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

In my experience (14 years) the Hinos are great engines. I have the 310's and they start every time and run great..

Like all engines especially marineized they need to be kept up.

Get a good engine survey before you buy.

If Earl Summerville is available he's the best.

[email protected]

Comment

Thank you for the responses! Is there any other issues or problems with the boat in general? I've read that a few had blistering problems.

And just wanted to clarify that the boat we are looking at has the 310hp Hino's, not 300 like I wrote in the beginning.

The rest of the boat, besides needing a good cleaning, looks to be in pretty good shape, with minor wearing issues that any 22 year old boat would have.

Comment

I don't know anything specific about the aft cabin 45's. But my 47 is a 1995 so I would hope the construction would be equal to mine vs the earlier 45's. Maybe Ron or someone with a 4587 will comment. I don't know if any of my issues will hold true for the 87.

As you know get a survey. On mine even with a survey and my inspection the PO got a couple things through undetected.

I would pay close attention to the decks and floors. Check them closely for any soft spots.

My decks were fine but the PO hid rotten floor boards in the aft cabin and hall. I found it a year later and had to rebuild the floor. Like most boats rain water leaks are a constant issue. Take a close look around the window frames and trim. The 47 has an upholstered valance that runs around the top of the windows. Mine was totally dry rotted from rain leaks. I did find this before I bought.

My hull has some blisters but nothing real scary. I repaired a few years ago and have a few I just monitor every haul out. The bigger problem on mine that manifested itself this year is the gelcoat above the water line deteriorating. My boat spent its early years in Florida and the gelcoat shows it.

Sorry I don't have anything specific.

Chris

Afterthought, I don't know if it has plastic or aluminum water tanks. Several people with the earlier 4588's including my friend have had problems with their water tanks.

Comment

Working...
            X