X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New batteries 4588-gctid811252

Tuesday I am replacing all batteries.

House bank 6 6volts & watering kits

Port side of engine forward. 1 8D & watering kit port side of engine rear.

2 8D & watering kit Star board side.

My old batteries were 8 yrs plus and were not holding charge or sustaining under load.

Hi Mason,

That sounds like a lot of fun...NOT...

Like you, and many of us, battery swap-outs aren't too much fun. If I understand you correctly, you are replacing only one of I assume two batteries on the port engine side. If so, I would suggest replacing both batteries on that side, if you can afford it. I suggest that, as I ran into an issue that I replaced one of my 8d batteries, once, and few issues kept coming up.

The bank that I had introduced a new battery without replacing the second battery kept draining and always seemed low in voltage. I tested both batteries and kept fiddling with things, thinking it was my thruster or something else draining the battery bank down. After a bunch of fiddling around, it finally hit me that the batteries had slightly different ratings and one was draining the other. I replacing the old batttery in that bank with a new one and haven't had the problem since. Because the old 8D battery was still ok, I have it at home as a 12v source for other things.

I hope this helps,

BJ

OMEGA

BJ
    OMEGA

Comment

I am replacing 3 8D batteries and 6 6 volt Bateries. Replacing ALL batteries, starting and house bank and all connectors. Additionally, watering kits for the 8Ds. 6volt banks already have watering kits.

The difficulty is that these huge battery boxes are on the outside of the engines, crawl space is non-existent. Batteries must be disconnected and boxes slid rearward into the cockpit hatches one by one & reinstalled & slid back & reconnected.

It appears that the exhaust hoses need to be removed to get the boxes out.

I am not up to the task nor complexities & have a trusted pro doing the work.

Comment

Replaced all our batteries with AGM's. No more watering needed. Turned out to be 12 batteries in all. Installed 6-L16 AGM's (6v) for the house bank, giving approx. 1200amp hours. These batteries JUST fit stbd side outboard of the engines. I had my boat yard do the work. They did it in conjunction with a major overhaul of the boat.
        David
        Sidney, B.C.
        MV Cassiopeia V
        1990 4588
        twin 250 hp Hinos
        9kw Fisher Panda (new 2020)
        Call Sign: CFDF
        MMSI: 316014351

Comment

Working...
        X