4588 grills-gctid397938

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4588 grills-gctid397938

Does anyone know the construction detail for the side diagonal vents above the deck drains?

Is the aluminum piece just held in with 5200?

Are the expanded metal mesh screens screwed in?

I have a leak in the bottom of one and want to get in there with epoxy or something to seal

the base up.

So no one has ever had one of those diagonal grills off?

hoping for a response on the second and last try.

Comment

A few have tried to remove these with little luck. The belief is that they are glued in, most likely with 5200 or similar. I too would like to be able to remove the outer covering of these so that I could send them out to be stripped and powder coated. The screws that I have visible did not loosen the panels up one bit.
      Patrick and Patti
      4588 Pilothouse 1991
      12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
      M/V "Paloma"
      MMSI # 338142921

Comment

I have a leak in the port grill as well that runs down the vent hose and drips into the monkey fur at the foot of the guest bed. The 4788 doesn't have grills so I am contemplating a 1/8" aluminum cover that is powder-coated and permanently installed to close it off Besides the small leak on the port side the starboard grill seems to put air behind the holding tank that blows into the rest of the boat and smells a bit. I would rather that the ventilation be controlled and remove air from the interior.

Comment

Randyzon wrote:
          I have a leak in the port grill as well that runs down the vent hose and drips into the monkey fur at the foot of the guest bed. The 4788 doesn't have grills so I am contemplating a 1/8" aluminum cover that is powder-coated and permanently installed to close it off Besides the small leak on the port side the starboard grill seems to put air behind the holding tank that blows into the rest of the boat and smells a bit. I would rather that the ventilation be controlled and remove air from the interior.
          Before you attempt to seal off the vent system, i would try puting some tape over the grill and spray some water to see if that is exactly how the water is entering. I know this may sound lame but, Bayliner may have not always done things the best way possible but they were known for not doing anything that wasn't absolutely required. If they went to the expense of installing those vents and the mesh and everything else in that area they did so for a reason. To block it off may cause unforescene problems. :blah-
          Patrick and Patti
          4588 Pilothouse 1991
          12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
          M/V "Paloma"
          MMSI # 338142921

Comment

Working...
          X