4550 hydraulic steering-gctid810947

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4550 hydraulic steering-gctid810947

1987 4550 - where do I add fluid for hydraulic steering?

In the reserve valve at the back of the boat (stern inside) - you will need to re-pressurize the system after you add fluid.

You only want to add fluid up to about 2/3rds the reservoir - middle of the upper window.

If it is low the concern will be why?

Here is a link...

http://www.local1259iaff.org/airpurgeinstructions.html
    Northport NY

Comment

ON MY 4788 ,WHICH I ASSUME HAS THE SAME SYSTEM, WHEN TURNING THE STEERING WHEEL I GET A RATCHETY FEED BACK. IS THIS NORMAL? tHANKS FOR YOUR INPUT.

Comment

"ON MY 4788 ,WHICH I ASSUME HAS THE SAME SYSTEM, WHEN TURNING THE STEERING WHEEL I GET A RATCHETY FEED BACK. IS THIS NORMAL? tHANKS FOR YOUR INPUT. "

Could be a number of things....

- Is it only at the upper station?

- Do you hit a hard stop when the wheel if full over either port or stb?

- Is that 3.5 turns lock from center? (7 lock to lock)

- Are you low on fluid?

- Do you have air in the system?

- Have you added 'heavier' fluid to the system?
        Northport NY

Comment

I will go down your check off list. I believe it was on the upper helm. X New Yorker by the way. Port Jeff

Comment

"I will go down your check off list. I believe it was on the upper helm"

If it is the upper helm only and not at the lower helm it is most likely air in the system.

- Make sure you have enough fluid in the reservoir

- Make sure you have enough pressure in the reservoir

- Follow the bleeding instructions (carefully) in the link above

- Do rotate the wheel that many times and slowly as per the instructions.

After bleeding your steering should be the same in the upper and lower stations. If it is then better your concern will be how did the air get in and do you have a leak somewhere in the system.

Watch the upper help steering seal for leaks when you pressure and when you bleed the system ... if it leaks follow the instructions n this link to replace the seals.

http://www.local1259iaff.org/hydraulichelmrebuild.html
            Northport NY

Comment

Working...
            X