Water Heater Replacement 3587/4087

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Heater Replacement 3587/4087

I searched through historical posts but didn't see anything helpful on this topic. It's time to replace the hot water tank on my 4087. The actual installation should be pretty straight forward. My question to any owners of 3587 and 4087 who may have done this job already regards access to remove the old tank and get the new tank into the correct area. It looks to me like there are two possibilities. First would be through the oddly shaped access hatch at the end of the cave. The dimensions of this area I think is slightly too small, but may be big enough if some of the trim is removed on the back side of the wall that holds the hatch. The trim is lightly glassed to to the wall, so this would be a little destructive.

The other would be to slide the tank laterally to the area in front of the starboard engine, then slide again across the front of the engine to the middle of the boat, then back a bit then up. The tank only weighs about 20 pounds so this wouldn't be hard, if there is room. It looks like maybe if the coolant expansion tank is removed this might work better.

Anybody out there already had to do this task, and, if so, which way did you go with the removal and replacement of the tank?
    Last edited by Jim_Gandee; 04-03-2020, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Just noticed your post. I pulled the HWH out through the access hatch in the cave. I did have to cut a small notch out to get it out. It was a triangle shaped notch maybe 3/4" x 3/4" so it is hidden by the hatch cover when put back. Check dimensions on the replacement heater because they can vary a bit. My replacement was the same size as the old one.
      1998 3587 Bayliner, Port Orchard, WA

Comment

Yes. Thank you. I ended up doing the basically the same thing, though I achieved the notch by knocking out the trim piece that's on the diagonal of the hatch. It was both bolted on and lightly glassed in, so now it's just bolted. Overall, not too hard of a job.

Comment

Just saw your post, and it looks like you completed your water heater project. I did the same a few years back and posted the process here:

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...t-water-heater

Just in case someone stumbles across this thread.