Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

32XX batteries upgraded - genny for sale-gctid397863

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    32XX batteries upgraded - genny for sale-gctid397863

    Just changed our house battery setup to 4 - 232Ah golf cart batteries and upgraded the inverter to 2500 watts. Wow, now we can run the toaster, the vacuum, a new microwave, and the Admiral can blow her hair dry. The world is indeed a happy place! I'm selling the portable generator we used for such stuff previously, a 2000 watt Ecogen that is absloutely like new with less than 10 hours on it. Bought new on sale Spring 2011 for $800 - first $575 takes it. Email Jim at [email protected]. Victoria BC area.

    #2
    What did you have before the golf batteries?

    We have 2 8D and are looking to change as they barely last 3 days for us now.

    We are getting to old to be lifting them also.

    How do they fit? Do you have a picture by chance?

    Comment


      #3
      wammer wrote:
      What did you have before the golf batteries?

      We have 2 8D and are looking to change as they barely last 3 days for us now.

      We are getting to old to be lifting them also.

      How do they fit? Do you have a picture by chance?
      Wow! 5 days on battery!

      I've had lots of boats and have never gotten 5 days out of a set of batteries.

      On our 242 and our 2859, one 8D (or 2 golf cart batteries) we got overnight of charge.

      On our 3488, 2 8D batteries we could go overnight and then a little more.

      On our 4788 with 840 AH of house battery we can go overnight.

      This is all to 50% capacity, and includes a furnace running all night.

      You're going pretty good to get 5 days!

      KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
      www.transferswitch4less.com

      Whats the weather like on our boat
      https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide


      Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

      Comment


        #4
        Can't tell how many engines you have in your boat, but what are you going to charge your batteries with when the alternator/charger goes TU and your a long ways from home????

        Darby

        Comment


          #5
          We have two engines. Also a 2000 watt Honda Generator.

          We would like to change to the golf batteries but are concerned about the size as we have heard they are taller.

          Just wondering how some are fitting them in the 32xx boats.

          Comment


            #6
            wammer wrote:
            We have two engines. Also a 2000 watt Honda Generator.

            We would like to change to the golf batteries but are concerned about the size as we have heard they are taller.

            Just wondering how some are fitting them in the 32xx boats.
            I installed four Full River AGM DC250-6 golf cart batteries in my 1993 3288. They are taller than other batteries and I installed them in the port side lower storage cabinet in the v berth. I wanted to add weight to the front and to the port side of our boat. I was able to build a rack and put two forward of the forward edge of the cabinet door and i built another shelf and mounted the other two as far aft in the cabinet as possible. This arrangement allowed usage of about half of the storage cabinet for storage. Having the batteries in the front also worked well with the bow thruster i installed at the same time.

            This arrangement gives 500 AH and the weight is 304 lbs. This is about 40 AH more and almost 100 lbs less weight than the two 8Ds i had in the back of the boat. It's a win-win setup.

            Comment


              #7
              chuck767 wrote:
              I installed four Full River AGM DC250-6 golf cart batteries in my 1993 3288. They are taller than other batteries and I installed them in the port side lower storage cabinet in the v berth. I wanted to add weight to the front and to the port side of our boat. I was able to build a rack and put two forward of the forward edge of the cabinet door and i built another shelf and mounted the other two as far aft in the cabinet as possible. This arrangement allowed usage of about half of the storage cabinet for storage. Having the batteries in the front also worked well with the bow thruster i installed at the same time.

              This arrangement gives 500 AH and the weight is 304 lbs. This is about 40 AH more and almost 100 lbs less weight than the two 8Ds i had in the back of the boat. It's a win-win setup.
              Very nice, never thought of that space.

              Comment


                #8
                I saw a post here a few months ago where somebody opened up the cabin sole in the forward cabin and installed six glf cart batteries there. I want to take another look at the project but can't find the post. Can anybody direct me to it?

                Bob

                3288 ROVER

                Comment


                  #9
                  We have 4 golf carts a 6 kw gen set a magnum inverter and still carry a 2000 Honda just in case. If you do not have a high output alternator you will never get the golf carts up once they are low. The voice of experience

                  Comment


                    #10
                    iceclimber wrote:
                    Very nice, never thought of that space.
                    I've got 2 group 27's in the forward locker, it workd well.

                    But I plan on putting qty 5 under the floor in the forward bilge at the end of this cruising season...
                    ________________
                    1989 Bayliner 3270

                    Comment


                      #11
                      jimmy wrote:
                      Just changed our house battery setup to 4 - 232Ah golf cart batteries and upgraded the inverter to 2500 watts. Wow, now we can run the toaster, the vacuum, a new microwave, and the Admiral can blow her hair dry. The world is indeed a happy place! I'm selling the portable generator we used for such stuff previously, a 2000 watt Ecogen that is absloutely like new with less than 10 hours on it. Bought new on sale Spring 2011 for $800 - first $575 takes it. Email Jim at [email protected]. Victoria BC area.
                      I don't want to rain on your parade but something is wrong with your thinking. If you are saying you have 4 x 232 amp hours, I don't think so. I have never seen a golf cart battery that size. If that is total amp hours it isn't enough.

                      If you have a normal golf cart battery you have about 110 amp hours per battery but that is at 6 volts. When you use 2 to make 12 volts you still have only 220 amp hours but at 12 volts. Double that will give you 440 amp hours.

                      It might vary a bit depending on the battery you get but not by much. Maybe another 50 or so amp hours total for your bank with the larger ones.

                      To keep the numbers meaning something, lets stay with 440 amp hours. To get battery life you cannot discharge them below 50%. Now you have 220 amp hours of use.

                      A coffee pot will draw 80 to 90 amps per hour. See where this is going?

                      You cannot live on your batteries like you are suggesting without a large charger and a way to run it.

                      Your engine alternator will not charge its capacity for very long. Only in minutes before it cuts back.

                      Energy management has never been more important than using batteries to supply your needs.

                      Don't sell the genny.

                      When installing flooded batteries, remember they have to be in a vented area. The fumes can explode and they generate a lot of heat when being discharged and recharged.

                      Doug
                      Started boating 1955
                      Number of boats owned 32
                      Bayliners
                      2655
                      2755
                      2850
                      3870 presently owned
                      Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

                      Comment


                        #12
                        dmcb wrote:


                        To keep the numbers meaning something, lets stay with 440 amp hours.

                        To get battery life you cannot discharge them below 50%. Now you have 220 amp hours of use.
                        Likewise, your bank of 12 volt batteries are subject to this same basic rule.

                        Not yet mentioned.... but when these are drawn down, the sooner that they are re-charged, the better for their health.

                        .
                        Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

                        Comment


                          #13
                          dmcb wrote:
                          I don't want to rain on your parade but something is wrong with your thinking. If you are saying you have 4 x 232 amp hours, I don't think so. I have never seen a golf cart battery that size. If that is total amp hours it isn't enough.If you have a normal golf cart battery you have about 110 amp hours per battery but that is at 6 volts. When you use 2 to make 12 volts you still have only 220 amp hours but at 12 volts. Double that will give you 440 amp hours.It might vary a bit depending on the battery you get but not by much. Maybe another 50 or so amp hours total for your bank with the larger ones.To keep the numbers meaning something, lets stay with 440 amp hours. To get battery life you cannot discharge them below 50%. Now you have 220 amp hours of use.A coffee pot will draw 80 to 90 amps per hour. See where this is going?You cannot live on your batteries like you are suggesting without a large charger and a way to run it.Your engine alternator will not charge its capacity for very long. Only in minutes before it cuts back.Energy management has never been more important than using batteries to supply your needs.Don't sell the genny.When installing flooded batteries, remember they have to be in a vented area. The fumes can explode and they generate a lot of heat when being discharged and recharged.Doug
                          There are 6V golf cart batteries rated all the way to 430 amp/hrs.Select Product SpecificationsBCI GroupTypeCapacityEnergyVoltageWeight20 hr rate(kWh)

                          http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....gif[/img]lbskgsGC2HT105-RE2251.5667

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Hi there:

                            We have the same boat and we are upgrading our house bank this month as well.

                            However we are taking out out 2 - 12V deep cycle 70amp/hr and putting in 2 - 6V 225amp/hr GC trojans. Was going to go to 4 batteries but was told space too tight and would need stronger 100amp alternators ($1500) and this + that...this all started doubling the price - so we stayed with buying 2 batteries as the OEM alternators (50amp) will be able to do the job.

                            So we are going to keep our Genny as well and this setup will be enough to run the fridge and a few lights during the night.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              The Trojan 105 are rated at 240 a/h so 4 of them will give 480 a/h at 12 volts and 240 a/h usable. Normal a/h use (fridge and Engel freezer, 1 coffee + toaster in the morning, a little microwave, water pump and all those LED lights but no hair dryer) ends up at 120-150 a/h per day so with 240 a/h you barely have 2 days and for that you need to recharge at 100% of capacity which takes a lot of time.

                              For us, when at anchor we run the Honda every day for 2 hours through the inverter and charge the batteries (655 a/h of 31T AGM) up to 85%. Both engines are equipped with a Balmar 100 a/h alternator with BlueSea auto combiner (start & house) so when sailing they get full pretty quickly.
                              NILE
                              1989 3288MY 305's US Marine
                              Fort Lauderdale Florida

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X