Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement fresh water pump? (variable speed preferred)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement fresh water pump? (variable speed preferred)

We previously had a Shurflo extreme 5.7 fresh water pump in our 4788. I loved the pump--superbly quiet and worked great. It pumped into an accumulator tank and you truly didn't hear the thing 95% of the time it was running--only when using two or more plumbing fixtures at once could you hear it hum quietly.

Last year it died. We replaced with the shurflo replacement that is NOT a variable speed pump. It is VERY loud every time it cycles on.

Has anyone found a great freshwater pump that is QUIET? Variable speed preferred but primary objective is quiet operation.
    1997 Pacific Mariner 65'- Permission Granted
    Detroit Diesels 8v92TTA
    NL Generators
    Novurania and Caribe RIBS, 50Merc and 60Yamaha

Formerly 2000 Bayliner 4788
    Formerly 2001 Maxum 3300
    Formerly 1996 Celebrity 265

Did you ever find a solution for this? I’m tiredness of our pump waking everyone aboard up in the morning when I’m up early. I’d love to find a quieter solution!
    James
    2000 4788 | "Freedom"
    Gig Harbor, WA
    11' Novurania w/40hp Yamaha
    Cummins 330's and Westerbeke 8kw
    Hull Extension, Chines and Hardtop

Comment

I my travel trailer pump was very loud. I quieted it considerably by adding a couple of looped, 3' long flexible hoses in between the pump inlet/outlet and the semi-rigid tubing. This isolated the pump's vibrations from the plumbing system and allowed the pump to move more freely on its rubber mounts.
      1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
      Anacortes, WA
      Isla Verde, PR

Comment

Originally posted by Norton_Rider View Post
        I my travel trailer pump was very loud. I quieted it considerably by adding a couple of looped, 3' long flexible hoses in between the pump inlet/outlet and the semi-rigid tubing. This isolated the pump's vibrations from the plumbing system and allowed the pump to move more freely on its rubber mounts.
        That sounds like a low cost option to try, thanks!
        James
        2000 4788 | "Freedom"
        Gig Harbor, WA

Comment

I also once had that Shurflo pump and agree it was wonderfully quiet even without an accumulator tank. Now using a Jabsco 5.0 VFlo variable speed pump. The pump is also very very noisy and I've pretty much resigned myself to living with the pump noise. If I could find an available pump that was a) quiet b) didn't need a tank c) widely available, I'd switch in a heartbeat.
          Evan
          2001 Bayliner 4788 "Fifty / Fifty II"
          League City, TX

Comment

We have an X-caliber XRS series water pump operating with an accumulator, and it is virtually silent even when you stand over it. Water pressure is constant, and there are no screams if someone uses the Vacuflush when you are showering. They are available in 12 or 24V, and are not inexpensive, but worth every nickel.
            www.headhunterinc.com
            Rob
            Bayliner 5788
            'Merlin V'
            Vancouver BC

Comment

Just like Norton Rider did, I added a flexible loop and it made a huge difference; inexpensive solution. See pic
              Alex
              Orange County, Ca.
              2001 3988
              Twin Cummins 330's

Comment

I mounted my accumulator tank under the vanity, works great.
                Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                Twin 350 GM power
                Located in Seward, AK
                Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I just received a vFlo 5.0 that I am going to install. I am planning to try it first with accumulator tank, and then without if the install doesn't seem to work right. Jabsco recommends no accumulator but I see no reason to waste time removing it unless necessary. I'll report back after I get this project done, probably in a month or two when we are spending more time on the boat. When I saw the pump at the boat show it was very quiet, but quiet is relative in a crowded exhibition center vs. the dead of night on a boat.
                  Detroit Diesels 8v92TTA
                  NL Generators

Formerly 2001 Maxum 3300

Comment

Originally posted by jmoultray View Post
                    I just received a vFlo 5.0 that I am going to install. I am planning to try it first with accumulator tank, and then without if the install doesn't seem to work right. Jabsco recommends no accumulator but I see no reason to waste time removing it unless necessary. I'll report back after I get this project done, probably in a month or two when we are spending more time on the boat. When I saw the pump at the boat show it was very quiet, but quiet is relative in a crowded exhibition center vs. the dead of night on a boat.
                    Let us know how you like it once you get it installed!
                    James
                    2000 4788 | "Freedom"
                    Gig Harbor, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Uppy22 View Post

Let us know how you like it once you get it installed!
                      I got the pump installed a couple weeks ago. I wound up removing the expansion tank due to hose length and wall space--I couldn't get the pump to fit onto the tank (different size mount) like the old pump, so I had to mount it on the wall. It requires being sideways which didn't match up terribly well with my lines without removing the expansion tank.

Overall, the pump works well and I don't miss the expansion tank. It is, however, still quite loud when working hard. I was hoping that it would start up slow, but it seems to wait for pressure to drop a ways and then run high power for about a second before slowing down. Our old water pump that was no longer manufactured by aqua king used to start nice and slow and was barely audible unless working really hard--this one is not quiet like that, but is FAR better than the loud obnoxious shurflo aqua king that we have been using the past year or so. No more hearing it turn on/off loudly, after the initial start it is pretty quiet for basic hand washing and showering, so that is a huge improvement, but it still cycles on loudly each time which is annoying when doing a load of dishes or laundry (the ventless dryer uses a 2.5 gallons per hour, enough that it cycles the pump on and off loudly every few minutes, just long enough to re-pressurize the lines--I was really hoping it would detect a slight drop in pressure and turn on low speed to build it back rather than starting powerful and then slowing down).

Overall, I give it a thumbs up as it is an improvement over what we had and I haven't found a reasonably priced alternative, but compared to my old shurflo extreme that is discontinued it is a resounding failure.
                      Detroit Diesels 8v92TTA
                      NL Generators

Formerly 2001 Maxum 3300

Comment

I purchased a back up from Walmart, same pump that is installed - although I suspect this installed pump is a replacement for the original. We have the accumulator tank. Hardly hear the pump running, even at high speed. For us the pump and accumulator tank works great. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shurflo-A...-Pump/33276578

Next plumbing project is to add a two stage filtration system - particulate filter followed by carbon filter positioned right after the pump in the fwd engine mini room.
                        Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
                        Sammamish WA
                        1998 4788 (April 2018)
                        ”Knot Home”
                        MMSI 368040370

Comment

Originally posted by Ahaua View Post
                          Just like Norton Rider did, I added a flexible loop and it made a huge difference; inexpensive solution. See pic
                          Did you add a flexible loop on the inlet and outlet, or just one side? If only one side, was it the outlet?
                          James
                          2000 4788 | "Freedom"
                          Gig Harbor, WA

Comment

• Ahaua
                            Ahaua commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I only added the flexible loop on the outlet side.

Originally posted by Uppy22 View Post

Did you add a flexible loop on the inlet and outlet, or just one side? If only one side, was it the outlet?
                          On my travel trailer I added a loop to both ends. The idea is to isolate the pump from the plumbing and boat structure.
                          1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                          Anacortes, WA
                          Isla Verde, PR

Comment

Originally posted by Knothome4788 View Post
                            I purchased a back up from Walmart, same pump that is installed - although I suspect this installed pump is a replacement for the original. We have the accumulator tank. Hardly hear the pump running, even at high speed. For us the pump and accumulator tank works great. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shurflo-A...-Pump/33276578

Next plumbing project is to add a two stage filtration system - particulate filter followed by carbon filter positioned right after the pump in the fwd engine mini room.
                            You guys do realize that I sell those pumps for a lower price than Walmart, and I ship the same day as you place the order

https://boatparts4less.com/collectio.../brand_shurflo

KEVIN SANDERS
                            4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                            www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
                            https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

• kspellman02
                              kspellman02 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I didn't either!

• kspellman02
                              kspellman02 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Hey Kevin - Since you sell these pumps....I am on my third Shur-Flo pump in the last 18 months. It appears to be the pressure switch that is failing and I am now starting to get Shur-flo telling me that I should buy another brand of pump....any luck with other brands? I've got the Shurflo Marine Aqua King II 3.0 Fresh Water Pump #4138-111-E65 and at this point am tired of being down in the bilge with these things. Thoughts?

• ksanders
                              ksanders commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I really like the Jabsco pumps. I have a 6 GPH pump on the potable water system, and with the little OEM accumulator tank I do not notice any pulsing or pressure variation when in the shower.

That said i also have a Jabsco Constant Pressure pump 4.5 GPH as my watermaker boost pump and it has a lot of constant use hours on it.
                          Working...
                          X