47 Pilot House Lock Frozen-gctid810049

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

47 Pilot House Lock Frozen-gctid810049

Have not used my 47 pilot house door on port side much over the years. With wife having some walking issues, decided it would be handy to drop fenders on both or either side without going across bow, hence need to use both pilot house doors. Attempted to open lock from inside and lock slider would not move up or down. Key would not turn either. Ideas please.
    Started boating 1965
    Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

On a number of our boats the lock slides failed over time and were not sufficient to lock the door closed or open securely.

We removed the assemblies and attempted a rebuild but found that the tang engagement was not really robust for heavy seas or security.

We removed the 'guts' of the locks and used barrel bolts at the top of the doors for both open and closed positions.

That does not help you with the stock parts but I do have pics somewhere if that option is something you would consider.
    Northport NY

Comment

Managed to get door open today. By wiggling the key to the point it could break, it apparently loosened the lock a bit but not open. Went back to the inside of lock, after sitting all night in a secret cat pee spray, was able to again place a wide screw driver to top of slider tab and tap it down with light hammer taps to bottom position. Door now open. Leaving door unlocked til this weekend. Will be with oldest son's family and will trade some babysitting twin toddlers for his lock smithing expertise to disassemble, clean and lube locks.
      Started boating 1965

Comment

My son disassembled the lock and found that the key lock cylinder was rusted/corroded beyond repair,even the springs inside were toast. He disconnected it from the rest of the lock allowing the slider on the inside to lock/unlock the door and the key lock cylinder just a filler to the hole in the door on the outside. He indicted the key lock cylinder was not like any he had seen. This lock was unique to my boat in that it had a unique key so it was rarely ever opened via key in 20 years as we almost always docked on the opposite side of the 47. The lock was replaced under warranty when new hence the unique key. Anyone know where a new lock matching the Bayliner original lock can be found?
        Started boating 1965

Comment

Working...
        X