Running with one engine out....need to tie off the shaft-gctid809960

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running with one engine out....need to tie off the shaft-gctid809960

Just got back from TRAWLERFEST 2017 at Bremerton, WA.

While I was there I took a two day course from Nigel Calder call "Everything you need to know about diesel engines".

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=dp_byli...=relevancerank

Excellent course, there were quite a few things I learned that I had no clue about or things I thought were true and had them confirmed for me.

One thing he was talking about (that I had no clue about) was running your twin engine boat with one engine turned off.

Apparently the prop will spin the shaft on the dead engine and without sea water being pumped in to cool your shaft seal, it will heat up and burn out.

His solution is to use a rope to wrap around the shaft and tie it off to prevent the shaft from turning.

I was wondering if any forum members have had this experience,

have you burned up you shaft seal from running on one engine?

or if you have tied off your shaft how did it work?,

Is there any other way to prevent the shaft from turning?

In most bigger power boats, he said the engine needs to be running for the transmission to work, so just putting it in reverse will not work.
    Greg
    1999 Bayliner 3988
    Twin Cummins 6BTA 270hp
    Malaspina Strait, BC

I carry a wooden clamp I made for this purpose. Its a short 2x4 that I drilled on one end, the same size as the shaft. Then I cut it lengthwise through the hole. I drilled a hole for a large bolt perpendicular to the bore, an inch away from the hole. To use it I clamp it over the shaft, rotate it until it contact a stringer, and tighten the bolt.
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA
    Isla Verde, PR

Comment

I carry a very heavy 30" pipe wrench.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      MMSI 367770440

Comment

If you have a Hurth/ZF transmission you do not have to do anything, let it freewheel. I called them twice on this subject. Any transmission you can shift at WOT from fwd to reverse is bulletproof. Read the manual.
        Started boating 1965
        Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

That really good information about the transmission cooling not working when one engine is shut down. I like the idea of tying the shaft, but my shafts are 3 in diameter and connected to a 32in four blade prop... I would worry a rope might not be the best solution to lock the prop, any idea what other options there might be,,,

~BJ

OMEGA

BJ
          OMEGA

Comment

Yep, many including the Hurths can freewheel without any issues. Myself and many other members have put hundreds of hours on one engine with zero issues.
            Joel
            1987 3818 Hino 175
            "Knotty Girl"
            Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

Looking around the internet I found these new type of shaft seals.

I wonder if having that cross over line supplying water to the other shaft seal (see attached photo) is the solution.

[img size=80 ]https://captken.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/sureseal-plaatje-21.gif[/img]

see attachment for set up diagram

This link explains the problem

http://www.passagemaker.com/technica...ng-shaft-seals

Attached files

Greg
              1999 Bayliner 3988
              Twin Cummins 6BTA 270hp
              Malaspina Strait, BC

Comment

Greg - regular packing glands will not need any extra cooling when on one engine. Packing them with gortex or similar packing materials will also make them 'drip proof'.
                Northport NY

Comment

I think the real answer is that it depends on the type of shaft seal. PSS seals do not need any water injection if your speed is under 12 knots which on 1 engine you would be so no need to tie shaft for that reason. As smitty shared not with gortex for a tradition seal either. what I am saying is that you need understand what type of shaft seal you have and what your transmission requires and proceed from there vs generalities. as the answer will vary based on shaft seal and transmission type.

Another thing to consider is boat handing with a tied off shaft vs. free wheeling.
                  Mark
                  USCG OUPV
                  1990 4588
                  Carlsbad, CA

Comment

FWIW - I would never consider tying off a shaft.

That leaves me with only one engine available and I always want to be able to just 'touch a key' to gain access to my other engine.

If this post does not convince you to always have the second engine immediately available please come into your slip and dock on one engine next time and report back the results.
                    Northport NY

Comment

FWIW - I would never consider tying off a shaft.

That leaves me with only one engine available and I always want to be able to just 'touch a key' to gain access to my other engine.

If this post does not convince you to always have the second engine immediately available please come into your slip and dock on one engine next time and report back the results.

We are assuming that the second engine is dead and you do not have access to it with a touch of a key.

You need to get back to the harbour with one engine.

....of course it's hard to dock a twin engine boat with only one engine one....we have all tried it.
                      Greg
                      1999 Bayliner 3988
                      Twin Cummins 6BTA 270hp
                      Malaspina Strait, BC

Comment

"We are assuming that the second engine is dead and you do not have access to it with a touch of a key"

I was saying that if it is tied off well and you need that engine you cannot start it as it is tied off.

If you happen to forget and do put it in gear you have a mess.

If you hit rough seas ,loose the initial engine, or quickly require maneuverability you cannot use it.
                        Northport NY

Comment

If you cruise long distances, a shaft brake may be a good answer. Tons to choose from out there.

David
                          http://www.cambridgeadvertising.org
                          http://www.davidladewig.com

Comment

"Cap_Fury" post=810006 wrote:
                            Looking around the internet I found these new type of shaft seals.

I wonder if having that cross over line supplying water to the other shaft seal (see attached photo) is the solution.

[img size]80 wrote:
                            https://captken.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/sureseal-plaatje-21.gif[/img]

see attachment for set up diagram

This link explains the problem

http://www.passagemaker.com/technica...ng-shaft-seals
                            +! . . . . had read that article and was planning on looking at that on the Avanti . . . don't know what I have . . yet . . . 3 days and I will.
                            1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - for sale - Dredge Harbor, NJ
                            Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
                            WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
                            James H. Stradling

Comment

Well I ran our '95 3988 on one engine from just south of Ketchikan Alaska to Anacortes with the dead engine free spinning and it didn't cause any damage that I could see. Shaft seals seemed fine. Transmission was fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X