4788 6bta fuel coolers-gctid809907

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 6bta fuel coolers-gctid809907

Does anyone have experience with by passing the fuel coolers on a 4788 with 6bta? I believe I read Tony Atkins saying they can be eliminated without any adverse effect? Real world experience would be wonderful..

Thanks Bob

I moved this to the Motoryacht forum. You will get more answers there.
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA

Comment

I have the parts to bypass mine, (along with new water pumps from Tony).

When I install the new water pumps I'll be bypassing the fuel coolers

KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
      www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

The previous owner of my 2001 had them removed per Tony's advice early on. Tony, was on the deisgn team of the 6BT and he sent me a letter to the effect that they are not needed or required so I could show it to my mechanic. I also was given the phone numbers of 2 Cummins engineers that I questioned. They both said that Cummins can recommend the use of the fuel coolers but they are not manditory, they are considered on option and were not provided on all engines delivered..

One of the engineers asked me where my boat is located which is in the cold waters of Puget Sound and the Salish Sea. The tanks are located below the waterline and I rarely run the boat with less than 1/2 full tanks. I told that those conditions would be absolutely fine without the use of fuel coolers.

The premise of their use is that the un-burnt fuel returning to the tanks at 180 degrees would eventually bring the temperature of the fuel tank fuel up to 180 degrees which would be dangerous. The recommended top temperature for the fuel tank fuel is 140 degrees and any thing less than 120 is desirable according to the engineers I talked to.

Well, I had a situation where I had to run both engines for six hours on one fuel tank. The highest temperature reached with a full to 3/4 tank was 85-95, one tank was 105 degrees at half full and both engines returning the heated fuel to it.

With one engine using one tank the highest temperature I get with a half a tank is 85 degrees. With fuel tanks sitting below the waterline of 45-50 degree water my typical running fuel tank temperatures are quite low. Typically, my fuel tank temperatures after 4-6 hours are 78 - 80 tops.

I hope this helps. You can also call Tony Athens at Seaboard Marine and he will give you an earful of reasons why they are not needed.

Jerome

I have seen some boats in the Pacific Northwest that have fuel coolers installed but they originated in Florida where water and air temperatures are higher to start with.
        Jerome Robbins
        Commodore, Fidalgo Yacht Club - 2019
        Anacortes, WA

1999 Bayliner 2859 Ciera Express, V8-7.4L
        Previously owned:2001 Bayliner 4788 - twin 370 Cummins,
        1994 Bayliner Ciera 2855 V8-7.4L
        1994 Bayliner Classic 2252 V6-5.2L

Comment

Thank you so much for the detailed response! I am in the great lakes so our temps never get that high either. As I am looking at 4788s from salt water areas it seems like a good thing to eliminate and avoid what could be a real bad failure.

Thanks again, I love this site and all the members! - Bob

Comment

Just curious did your water pumps start to fail or are you replacing them to be proactive? If they did start to fail at how many hours?

Thanks - Bob

No, my water pumps did not fail...Yet

Mine are the newest variation, as my motors were new in 2011

I bought new pumps because I like to be proacvtive. The pumps are on my "list" I'm about 120 hours and 12 months into a OEM set of impellers, so it's no emergency right now.

Comment

"Just curious did your water pumps start to fail or are you replacing them to be proactive? If they did start to fail at how many hours?"

Cummins 6b water pumps typically fail pretty early on often with disastrous results - under 1,000 hrs is typical.

More info , details and pictures are available at Tony's site you mentioned in post number one - sbmar(dot)com
              Northport NY

Comment

Thanks for the information, as a fresh water boater I am pretty ignorant as to salt water related failures. The boats I am currently looking at have between 1, 000 and 1,500 hrs and are +/- 17 years old. Is there any other advice you may have as to other failures to watch for? Risers, mufflers, ect.

Thanks again - Bob

Comment

Checking if after coolers have been service properly or replaced, have turbos been checked and serviced. Exhaust manifolds usually last 12-15 years. Check Cummins maintenance schedule to see what is required and the 1000 hour mark and see if the engines have been maintained. Just some starting points...
                  Jerome Robbins
                  Commodore, Fidalgo Yacht Club - 2019
                  Anacortes, WA

1999 Bayliner 2859 Ciera Express, V8-7.4L
                  Previously owned:2001 Bayliner 4788 - twin 370 Cummins,
                  1994 Bayliner Ciera 2855 V8-7.4L
                  1994 Bayliner Classic 2252 V6-5.2L

Comment

Working...
                  X