4788 what does this switch do?-gctid809658

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 what does this switch do?-gctid809658

The far right lower switch in picture toggles up and down returning to a neutral position.. Has wires going to it with power.... problem is I don't know what it does and I haven't been able to trace the wires that go into the abyss. Has no effect on windless. Do others have this switch and if so what does it do?

One more question why are there two switches for upper helm lower helm? Any wisdom would be much appreciated. This boat is new to me as of September and haven't figured everything out... Best regards, Jason

Attached files

Jason M.
    Bellevue, Washington
    4788 "Third Day"
    Cummins 330's

I think you might be referring to the spotlight controls that can be diverted to either the up or down station.
    Northport NY

Comment

Thank you Smitty... But why are there two switches to divert the spotlight control, or does the other switch do something else? The lower right rocker switch is still a mystery.
      Jason M.
      Bellevue, Washington
      4788 "Third Day"
      Cummins 330's

Comment

Smitty nailed it. They control the spotlight that is mounted on the bow pulpit. If you had your bow pulpit removed (I had to remove mine in order to fit the length requirements of my marina slip) then you may no longer have a spotlight. We chose not to reinstall our spotlight as we felt it was of very limited value. If you have the spotlight and the controls are not working, make sure you have turned the power on for the spotlight on your distribution panel. It's at the top of one of the 12-volt columns.

Comment

Thank you both.. The spotlight works from both locations no matter what I do with those two switches, so Im guessing the PO did some re-wireing and those switches are now ineffective. Now if I can just figure out what the rocker switch does, all mysteries will be solved...
          Jason M.
          Bellevue, Washington
          4788 "Third Day"
          Cummins 330's

Comment

The very bottom row far right switch had no factory function on our new 47. If yours has wires it is likely a prior owner installation.
            Started boating 1965
            Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

My bottom right switch has factory wire as well. I just haven't had the time to dig for it.
              jim and Anna 1994 4788 Refresh 310 Hinos

Comment

Well I figured it out last night. The bottom right switch does in fact go to my windless.... Just wasn't working. Took the solenoid wire nuts off, cleaned the terminals and what do you know, I can control the windless from inside.

After a closer look, I also realized that water is leaking in under the windless... So now I have a new project
                Jason M.
                Bellevue, Washington
                4788 "Third Day"
                Cummins 330's

Comment

"donzi" post=809917 wrote:
                  Well I figured it out last night. The bottom right switch does in fact go to my windless.... Just wasn't working. Took the solenoid wire nuts off, cleaned the terminals and what do you know, I can control the windless from inside.

After a closer look, I also realized that water is leaking in under the windless... So now I have a new project
                  Can you tell if that wiring for windless is factory installed?
                  Started boating 1965
                  Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

This switch is the remote windlass control on my '97 4788. It appears factory....
                    1997 Bayliner 4788 "Mostly Harmless"
                    Sold: 1990 Bayliner 3888

Comment

Working...
                    X