Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Destiny_4588
    replied
    on the PSS you we just take some 1200 sand paper and run around seal area as they recommend to clean the surfaces one or twice year, they have been rock solid.

The key to check the rubber bellows for wear that is the replacement item I believe more then the seal faces.

from PSS website: http://www.shaftseal.com/en/categori...000116/preview

As with any rubber hose below waterline, the PSS bellows must be inspected on a regular basis for any sign of wear, aging or chemical deterioration. PYI suggests preventative maintenance. The PSS bellow should be replaced in six year intervals. During bellows replacement it is recommended the o-rings & set screws in the stainless steel rotor also be replaced.

Bellows may need to be more frequently inspected in an environment where non-sealed batteries emit sulfuric acid. Sulfuric acid vapor will accelerate rubber deterioration, as will an ozonater.

Leave a comment:

• NeilW
    replied
    "p91473" post=809491 wrote:
    You should get this done. I just did mine. I had them install an extra/spare seal on the shaft so if the existing one fails I can cut it off and move the spare forward. I think I paid $400 a side for everything. Good time to re-bed transome hardware, re-seat rudders, etc...
    That sounds more like a lip seal, like a Volvo or Strong Seal. Never seen a PSS extra seal installed

Leave a comment:

• p91473
    replied
    You should get this done. I just did mine. I had them install an extra/spare seal on the shaft so if the existing one fails I can cut it off and move the spare forward. I think I paid $400 a side for everything. Good time to re-bed transome hardware, re-seat rudders, etc...

Leave a comment:

• Pcpete
    replied
    I'm in a similar position. My plan is to piggyback it with getting the props tuned and the shafts checked which will cut the labor related to the PSS units significantly. My understanding is the concern is the hoses more than the bearing/seal. I'll be watching the posts by others.

Leave a comment:

• Ridgedown
    started a topic PSS dripless shaft seals-gctid809272

PSS dripless shaft seals-gctid809272

Manufacturer recommends rebuild kit every 6 years. 3-4 hours labour per side and $200/ kit. P.O. did not leave any info on when it was last done and I have owned the boat for 7 years. Is this a common maintenance most of you do?
Working...
X