PSS dripless shaft seals-gctid809272

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSS dripless shaft seals-gctid809272

Manufacturer recommends rebuild kit every 6 years. 3-4 hours labour per side and $200/ kit. P.O. did not leave any info on when it was last done and I have owned the boat for 7 years. Is this a common maintenance most of you do?
    Bayliner 4387
    250 Hino's

I'm in a similar position. My plan is to piggyback it with getting the props tuned and the shafts checked which will cut the labor related to the PSS units significantly. My understanding is the concern is the hoses more than the bearing/seal. I'll be watching the posts by others.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

You should get this done. I just did mine. I had them install an extra/spare seal on the shaft so if the existing one fails I can cut it off and move the spare forward. I think I paid $400 a side for everything. Good time to re-bed transome hardware, re-seat rudders, etc...
      1997 3788/Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M2s (Sold)
      2003 Silverton 42c/Cummins 480CEs
      2019 Cobia 240 CC
      2006 Boston Whaler 13 Sport
      1985 3270/Hino 135s (Sold)

Vero Beach, Fl.

Comment

"p91473" post=809491 wrote:
        You should get this done. I just did mine. I had them install an extra/spare seal on the shaft so if the existing one fails I can cut it off and move the spare forward. I think I paid $400 a side for everything. Good time to re-bed transome hardware, re-seat rudders, etc...
        That sounds more like a lip seal, like a Volvo or Strong Seal. Never seen a PSS extra seal installed
        www.boatyardgm.com
        www.pacificyachtimports.net
        2002 Carver Voyager 57
        "Making Waves"
        3988 250 Hinos
        "The Dark Side"
        Alameda, California

Comment

on the PSS you we just take some 1200 sand paper and run around seal area as they recommend to clean the surfaces one or twice year, they have been rock solid.

The key to check the rubber bellows for wear that is the replacement item I believe more then the seal faces.

from PSS website: http://www.shaftseal.com/en/categori...000116/preview

As with any rubber hose below waterline, the PSS bellows must be inspected on a regular basis for any sign of wear, aging or chemical deterioration. PYI suggests preventative maintenance. The PSS bellow should be replaced in six year intervals. During bellows replacement it is recommended the o-rings & set screws in the stainless steel rotor also be replaced.

Bellows may need to be more frequently inspected in an environment where non-sealed batteries emit sulfuric acid. Sulfuric acid vapor will accelerate rubber deterioration, as will an ozonater.
          Mark
          USCG OUPV
          1990 4588
          Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Working...
          X