Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windshield Cover?-gctid809153

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Windshield Cover?-gctid809153

    Me being the lazy kind and not wanting to have to go outside and snap covers over the windshields, looking for ideas and setups of those that have been able to do covers installed from inside the cabin. I'm going to look at RV shops but maybe someone here has already come up with a simple set up? Thanks


    2001 3788 w/ 330 Cummins
    Seattle, WA

    #2
    Install snaps from inside the cabin...

    My rear cabin windows are done that way.
    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
    93 3058 sold
    92 2855 (day boat)
    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
    Longbranch WA
    Life is Good

    Comment


      #3
      What I did years ago on our camping trailer was epoxy magnets onto the glass in the corners and then we sewed magnets in window shade material. worked great, no holes to drill and no rusty snaps

      Comment


        #4
        I am lazy too but having the cover on the outside keeps a leak I have but can't seem to solve in check.

        That lazy beats lazy of having to go forward to put the cover on.:cheer:
        1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
        1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
        Nobody gets out alive.

        Comment


          #5
          "RickM" post=809208 wrote:
          What I did years ago on our camping trailer was epoxy magnets onto the glass in the corners and then we sewed magnets in window shade material. worked great, no holes to drill and no rusty snaps
          Excellent idea, thanks for the feedback!
          2001 3788 w/ 330 Cummins
          Seattle, WA

          Comment


            #6
            "W8N4SUN" post=809298 wrote:
            "RickM" post=809208 wrote:
            What I did years ago on our camping trailer was epoxy magnets onto the glass in the corners and then we sewed magnets in window shade material. worked great, no holes to drill and no rusty snaps
            Excellent idea, thanks for the feedback!
            The magnets will affect the compass; this is probably something that you don't want to do on a boat.
            1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
            2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
            Anacortes, WA
            Isla Verde, PR

            Comment


              #7
              The original windshield cover on my boat was designed to fit under the windshield wipers. This was difficult to accomplish and I always worried that either the wipers would break or I would fall.

              I had a new cover made that fits over the wipers and it is very easy to deploy.
              2001 Bayliner 4788, Cummins 370's
              Zodiac Yachtline 380, Yamaha 25hp
              Sanger wakeboard boat
              volunteer CA Delta tour guide

              Comment


                #8
                Magnets and compass, forgot about that detail.

                Back to the drawing board....
                2001 3788 w/ 330 Cummins
                Seattle, WA

                Comment


                  #9
                  Use " snads" they are glue on snaps for the window side. Regular snaps for the cloth side.

                  http://www.sailrite.com/YKK-SNAD-Cle...ible-Base-Stud

                  My motor home uses Velcro buttons and Velcro sewed onto the fabric for the inside windshield curtain




                  That is a picture of my motor home button. You could glue that on.
                  1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
                  twin 454's
                  MV Mar-Y-Sol
                  1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
                  Twin chevy 350's inboard
                  Ben- Jamin
                  spokane Washington

                  Comment


                    #10
                    "Norton Rider" post=809299 wrote:
                    "W8N4SUN" post=809298 wrote:
                    "RickM" post=809208 wrote:
                    What I did years ago on our camping trailer was epoxy magnets onto the glass in the corners and then we sewed magnets in window shade material. worked great, no holes to drill and no rusty snaps
                    Excellent idea, thanks for the feedback!
                    The magnets will affect the compass; this is probably something that you don't want to do on a boat.
                    Magnetic field strength falls off roughly as 1/d^3, so it attenuates much more quickly than most things things you're used to (which typically fall off as 1/d^2).

                    Still, it's trivial to test it before epoxying in magnets. You can also epoxy in two magnets flipped N/S right next to each other (so one magnet's N faces the windshield, the other magnet's S faces the windshield). For distances about the scale of the separation between the magnets, there will still be a magnetic field. But for larger distances (like to the compass), the two fields will average and cancel each other out.
                    1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2

                    Comment


                      #11
                      well, it DOES depend on the strength of the magnets

                      jeeez I give up

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I used the RV solution... great for ease of use and privacy too.... heat deflection from saloon on sunny days... but as mentioned above do not stop those pesky leaks like outside sunbrella curtains...

                        easy to install, and affordable... in my boat 4+ years now with stick on mounts per instructions...

                        see
                        Eclipseshades.net.


                        Attached files

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X