Stern thruster for a 3988-gctid809090

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stern thruster for a 3988-gctid809090

We are thinking of installing a stern thruster on our 3988. Does anyone have experience with this? Specifically, how much thrust is needed and if you have one are you happy with it. Ours is a 2000 with 330 Cummins.

This is a question that will get better responses in the Motoryacht forum.
    Rob
    Bayliner 5788
    'Merlin V'
    Vancouver BC

Comment

Moved to Motoryacht section.
      1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
      Anacortes, WA
      Isla Verde, PR

Comment

Yours is a much larger boat than mine (2859), but my thruster is the best overpriced thing I've bought for the boat!

HOnestly, I have no idea what the size of it is, but it sure comes in handy, and really helps me stay calmer when the going gets tight.

I've also used it while shrimping to keep the boat oriented while pulling the pots.
        97 2859

Comment

I installled a Maxpower unit in the stern of Omega. It was reasonably priced and fairly easy... Max power has a pretty good application chart that should have most the information you need. It differentiates between the various hulls. I also retired by existing bow thruster so I could integrate it with my stern thruster on a wireless remote control. That makes tying up a breeze, as you can tighten the lines easier and without having to manhandle your boat by moving your thrusters while you're on the dock...

I hope this helps,

BJ

OMEGA

BJ
          OMEGA

Comment

I installled a Maxpower unit in the stern of Omega. It was reasonably priced and fairly easy...

Max power has a pretty good application chart that should have most the information you need. It differentiates between the various hull types and sizes.

I also rewired my existing bow thruster so I could integrate it together with my stern thruster on a wireless remote control. That makes tying up a breeze, as you can tighten the lines easier and without having to manhandle your boat by moving your thrusters while you're on the dock...

I hope this helps,

BJ

OMEGA

BJ
            OMEGA

Comment

I would recommend an 80 KG thruster, or even better a 100 KG. I prefer Side Power units
              www.boatyardgm.com
              www.pacificyachtimports.net
              2002 Carver Voyager 57
              "Making Waves"
              3988 250 Hinos
              "The Dark Side"
              Alameda, California

Comment

Working...
              X