Racor Filters (39)90 3288-gctid397650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Racor Filters (39)90 3288-gctid397650

Awhile back I bought a couple Racor units from a guy on the site who had upgraded to the 500's from the stock units on our 32 footers. My 1990 Racors have a plastic housing; the ones I bought, showing 1987, are metal. Anyone know why my plastic-housed Racors have a ground wire attached at the top (into the plastic) but there is no such attachment on the metal ones? I drilled a hole and attached the wires to the metal units for the heck of it. The filter units are mounted on a sheet of plywood, so again, I don't understand the need for a ground wire.
    "Safe Boating is No Accident"
    Everett Sail and Power Squadron

You cannot use the plastic fuel bowls in an inboard application for gas engines, not sure about diesel. Some Racors for diesel can have a wire for water detection.
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Yeah, illegal for gassers because the bowl can melt and then you have raw gas all over. Not a problem on a diesel. The wire in question is attached at the top of the unit, not at the bottom. And again, it's a ground.

Comment

Problem solved; the old units were not plastic. They are aluminum, painted a funky color that made them look and feel like plastic.

Frank

Comment

Working...
        X