1988 4588 Fuel fill problem-gctid807259

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 4588 Fuel fill problem-gctid807259

I have trouble fuelling, I have to go very slowly on both tanks. I assume the vents is clogged, however, I do not know how to check them or get at them.

When filling you should be able to feel air comming out....Most vents have a small screen in them,remove it can get pluged up.

on stb.side access is thru ice maker or liquor cabinet, port access is thru the cabinet left of stove,...how big is the fuel nozzle??

If bigger than standard at gas station (gas) then you might not have a problem.

Good luck Brad
    Brad & Sharon
    Lady Jake
    1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
    Anacortes/La Conner, Wa.

Comment

Check your vent line and fuel filler hose, often the hoses have a dip in them which casus the issue you have with filling, as well as the vent screen mentioned.

New SS vent ports are not expensive and most are SS, stay away from plated zinc fittings.
      Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
      Twin 350 GM power
      Located in Seward, AK
      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

We have always had this issue as our area has very high speed pumps. You can feel air coming out of the vents. They will burp is you do not go slow

We ask if they can put the pump on low speed of gravity feed, and that make it work great. ALso every 10 galloons I we stop and let the system balance the air supply to also help avoid the burp. Stopping slowly is better then a sudden flow to no flow I have found.

My guess is that your vents are fine and you just need to fill slower
        Mark
        USCG OUPV
        1990 4588
        Carlsbad, CA

Comment

"Destiny 4588" post=807292 wrote:
          We have always had this issue as our area has very high speed pumps. You can feel air coming out of the vents. They will burp is you do not go slow

We ask if they can put the pump on low speed of gravity feed, and that make it work great. ALso every 10 galloons I we stop and let the system balance the air supply to also help avoid the burp. Stopping slowly is better then a sudden flow to no flow I have found.

My guess is that your vents are fine and you just need to fill slower
          Took me a good half hour for 100 gallons last season.

Comment

I'll check the vent locations this weekend. Thanks.

Comment

Our 4087 has always had the same issue.

Checked the fill hoses and vent system. I attribute the situation the the fact the fill hoses have two ninety degree bends and the hose is horizontal between them. Otherwise, all is clear_open.

So I wonder why the fill port in the tank was not directly below the filler fitting on the deck like on other boats?

Comment

Some of the marinas up north have the ability to show down their pumps so you don't have to cramp up your hand trying to go slow.

Lagoon Cove is one, just ask for Bayliner slow.

The corroded screens inside can get totally blocked.

I replaced all of mine with SS flush vents.

I also installed Racor LG100s in the vent lines and haven't had a vent spill in 10 years.

Chris

Attached files

Comment

Nice

Comment

this is what I found inside the line

Comment

This is what I found inside one of the fuel vent lines

Attached files

Comment

So is that the hose breaking down or???
                        Brad & Sharon
                        Lady Jake
                        1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
                        Anacortes/La Conner, Wa.

Comment

hi there

hi had the same problem on our 43' pearson, found apiece of pvc on the boat couldnt figure out what the hell it was for!!!!

guess what it screwed into the fuel fill, had an oring on it and it stuck up about 15".. problem solved.

may be worth a try,,,, good luck

Comment

"brad4550" post=810620 wrote:
                            So is that the hose breaking down or???
                            Spider nests! the small grill to stop bugs from entering was missing. The port one wasn't as clogged but was bas as well.

Comment

Could be the wonderful mud dubber wasp. Things get into everything with a small hole seem to love the connections on my air hoses for some reason and just about every other tool in my shop if it's got a quarter inch or less hole. There Is more than a few pilots who crashed their planes because of those cursed of things in the fuel vent. That's why you need one vented cap on a plane as a backup, nasty critters. When they get in there and pack that nest for their baby wasp egg you can't clear it usually without poking it with a wire or a pick.

Comment

Working...
                              X