Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help or recommendation for transducer for 3988-gctid807074

Good day,

I need some of your expertise on a topic I know very little.

Let me start my saying that currently my depth meter is erratic and I would like something better.

In terms of electronics I have some of the latest stuff from Simrad including an NSS EVO2 7``, NSS EVO 12'', Nmea200 network, 3G radar, a simrad network plus a bunch of less critical items.

Now i would like a something new (transducer i presume) to connect to my Simrad plotters or network.

It has to give depth (main requirement), I guess needs to be a through hull. That's my very basic requirement.

Now since I may have to have a transducer installed maybe I should get one that does more than just depth, maybe temperature, maybe chirp.... and still affordable.

I would like to have some recommendation, specifically model numbers, types etc....

I understand also that deadrise is important so on the 3988 I think it is 10 degrees.

Thanks in advance
    Eric
    Bayliner 3988 1995 Hino 250hp

Airmar are the best. http://airmartechnology.com They are compatible with all major MFDs
    1997 3788/Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M2s (Sold)
    2003 Silverton 42c/Cummins 480CEs
    2019 Cobia 240 CC
    2006 Boston Whaler 13 Sport
    1985 3270/Hino 135s (Sold)

Vero Beach, Fl.

Comment

Airmar make transducers for all the majors so why not just get the Simrad transducer. It does not have to be a through-hull. A shoot-through-hull such as P79 on http://www.simrad-yachting.com/en-us...s/Transducers/ will work fine and adjusts for deadrise. Test the location by putting the transducer in a baggy of water and moving it around. Mine is slightly stbd of the stbd transmission. Of course I gave up temperature to save drilling another hole.
      1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Though you don't have a Garmin mfd, I'd see if Simrad has something similar to Garmin's downview/sideview transducers. I installed a set and they are very nice. Chirp compatible, etc... there is one transducer for downview and port view mounted on the port side of the keel and another transducer that is mounted similarly in the starboard side of the keel for the starboard view.. or vice versa.. I get the two mixed up...

I also have an airmar that works well, but my downview/side view is what I generally run.

Just an idea.

BJ

OMEGA

BJ
        OMEGA

Comment

i have an airmar p75 shoot thru hooked up to my newer garmin mfd. (942xs). works great for my purposes to ~1000'

Comment

Just tossing out a thought for you...maybe think "Forward-looking Sonar" since you have kind of a fresh start on this. I've got an old depthsounder (Lowrance X-40) that flakes out periodically (but then recovers) on my 3818. Instead of just replacing it, I opted to add a forward-looking sonar (an EchoPilot FLS 2D), which gives me depth information plus a pretty good idea of what's in the water in front of me, even up at cruising speed. I kept the old Lowrance X-40 that works 80% of the time as a backup depthfinder (depth info is pretty important...they can both run at the same time since they transmit on different frequencies). See this thread:

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...-fls-2d-anyone

Since you already have a (presumably) multi-input display, I think the EchoPilot 2D "black box" version (IIRC, around $2K with bronze thru-hull transducer) would work with your existing display (but don't take my word for that, email them and ask), and the 3D model would likely work also (although it's around $8-10K, if I recall correctly). I opted for the EchPilot 2D stand-alone model based on price and the higher refresh rate of the 2D vs the 3D (2D refreshes twice per second, vs 3D refreshes once every 2 seconds). In my mind, the 3D is prettier, but the 2D gives me quicker info and is thus more useful. You do have to cut a hole in the boat, but I'm pretty sure you'd have to do that for anything except a straight-down depth-sounder/fishfinder (I know Garmin downvue/sidevue/frontvue requires thru-hull transducers, and, from what I understand, doesn't work so well past hull speed). I'm pretty sure the only info you can get with an in-hull ("shoot through the hull") transducer is a plain straight-down (which shows you where you were several seconds ago, depending on your speed).

Forward-looking sonar is far from perfect...but I figure if it keeps me from hitting one substantial thing in the water during the time I have this boat, it will have paid for itself. The EchoPilot is one of the few that works at cruising speed (it does drop out occasionally in very turbulent water, but gets it's bearings again in a few seconds). I wanted to have a decent idea of what's in front of the boat under water (so I don't hit it), both at hull speed and at cruising speed...if knowing what fish are under the boat is more important to you, choose accordingly.

HTH,

Dave

Comment

I was just reading on this, Simrad has one called the forward scan and works at speeds.

It does stick out of the hull for 2-3 inches
              Eric

Comment

"c350amg" post=807134 wrote:
                I was just reading on this, Simrad has one called the forward scan and works at speeds.

It does stick out of the hull for 2-3 inches
                Yup, the transducer for the EchoPilot also sticks out around 2 inches.

Some sailor friends have an older Simrad FLS, and they are not too happy with it...however, I think it may be a problem with expectations (or maybe the early models left a lot to be desired, I dunno...I have heard others mention newer Simrad FLS favorably). That's a good mention though...since he already has Simrad gear, the Simrad forward-looking sonar is probably definitely worth a look.

Forward-looking sonars (or at least the one's that cost less than our boats...LOL) can only see forward about 3-5X the depth on a mostly flat bottom...they can see mostly vertical things better (steep shoaling, rocks, hard bouy chains, etc.) at maybe 8-10X the current depth. The problem is this: just like a ping-pong ball on a table, pings directed at a horizontal surface forward of the boat bounce off going the wrong direction to be received. It's a physics problem moreso than a brand/mfg problem. On my EchoPilot 2D, how far it can see forward is constantly changing, and I just kinda mentally average all the hard (red), soft (blue), and medium (yellow) dots that I see on the display. The EchoPilot 3D kinda pre-interprets the data for you...the penalty is that it takes 4X longer to repaint the screen, although it sure is purty once it's painted it.

Garmin has ForwardVu (or something like that)...Lowrance or Hummingbird have ForwardScan or something like that. However, those are more fishing-oriented than navigation-oriented...from what I've read, those don't work (or don't work well) at speed. Disclaimer: I only have personal experience with the EchoPilot 2D FLS, so take any comments from me about anything else with a grain of salt!

Cheers,

Dave

Comment

"Uncle Bob" post=807105 wrote:
                  Airmar make transducers for all the majors so why not just get the Simrad transducer. It does not have to be a through-hull. A shoot-through-hull such as P79 on http://www.simrad-yachting.com/en-us...s/Transducers/ will work fine and adjusts for deadrise. Test the location by putting the transducer in a baggy of water and moving it around. Mine is slightly stbd of the stbd transmission. Of course I gave up temperature to save drilling another hole.
                  I've had the P79 on a couple boats now. On my 3388 the PO had it mounted in the cave close to the raw water pickup for the head. It works great and I've tracked bottom at beyond 2000ft depth, Mine is also connected to a Simrad EVO2 system.
                  Terry
                  1999 Bayliner 3388
                  Twin Cummins 4BTA
                  Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
                  Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

I recently installed an EVO2 electronics package including depthsounder. I went with the Airmar B150M transducer and am very satisfied with it. This transducer is installed in the hull, not epoxied to it. Great resolution at any speed and it also provides water temp. $350 from West Marine so no doubt it can be found somewhat cheaper elsewhere. I bought it locally because I wasn't sure of the deadrise on my 4087 until it was in the hard. Turned out to be 12 degrees FWIW.
                    Why Naut
                    1996 Bayliner 4087
                    Twin Cummins 250 HP 6BTA5.9 M2
                    Anacortes, WA

MMSI 338311223

Comment

"Boyd" post=807180 wrote:
                      I recently installed an EVO2 electronics package including depthsounder. I went with the Airmar B150M transducer and am very satisfied with it. This transducer is installed in the hull, not epoxied to it. Great resolution at any speed and it also provides water temp. $350 from West Marine so no doubt it can be found somewhat cheaper elsewhere. I bought it locally because I wasn't sure of the deadrise on my 4087 until it was in the hard. Turned out to be 12 degrees FWIW.
                      Thanks
                      Eric

Comment

Working...
                      X