Question... Is there a need to wax the bilge too?-gctid806975

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question... Is there a need to wax the bilge too?-gctid806975

We just finished cleaning the bilge of our 3988. It is super clean.

Maybe a stupid question but.. should we wax it also? So it is better protected and stays cleaner.

Thanks

[img ]http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a570/c350amg/Bilge%201_zpsfljcfc0o.jpg[/img]
    Eric
    Bayliner 3988 1995 Hino 250hp

Chuckle - I thought the same as you until I realized bilge paint and wax don't mix. I first cleaned all the bilges with simple green then fresh water and repainted with Interlux Bilge-kote WHITE (two coats). Now to keep it cleaner longer; I top-coated with this clear POUR-ON gloss finish (two coats) which not only shines the bilge but protects from grease marks. I use milder cleaners like 409 to clean the surface as simple green would be too harsh on the clear surface. The combination of the two will make your engine room look better than it was NEW. Then your engines will look older; so you will want to dress up your engines with fresh paint.

Attached files

MY 3988
    M/V MMPOWRD
    Poulsbo, WA

Comment

Problem is the bilge isn't smooth so wax doesn't apply very well. Simply line with white oil drop cloths. BTW, looks like you have some stuffing box work to stop it from slinging water and stain around.
      1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

This is the last area to tackle for me, what's the consensus on how best to clean the bilge area? Spray simple green and wipe up or use a hose and let the pumps get most of the water our?
        2001 3788 w/ 330 Cummins
        Seattle, WA

Comment

Power wash and let the next guy worry about it!!

Comment

Best way to clean the bilge? Spray an area with something like Home Depot Zep then use a steamer. http://www.homedepot.com/p/SteamFast...-275/100645493 Much better than the mess of a powerwasher. Then, if you really want it pretty, paint.

Comment

"Uncle Bob" post=806988 wrote:
              Problem is the bilge isn't smooth so wax doesn't apply very well. Simply line with white oil drop cloths. BTW, looks like you have some stuffing box work to stop it from slinging water and stain around.
              This was there before I bought the boat. I guess we need to scrub some more ;-)
              Eric
              Bayliner 3988 1995 Hino 250hp

Comment

Searching through the archives and I have a new owner question on this topic looking for help on. I think I understand the suggestions on how to clean the bilge, but where do you do it? While docked? While out on blocks? Presumably there is residue oil/gas the bilge and while I assume there is some neutralizer in "bilger cleaners" are owners just dumping the water out through the bilge pump? Mopping up with dedicated rags and then disposing of? I have to admit I don't understand the right way to handle the wastewater generated as a byproduct of the cleaning process... Thanks.
                Minnesota
                1989 Bayliner 3288
                First boat over 30'

Comment

Guess some might pump it (at night) but wiping up and disposing in your marina's oil recycle area might be better.

Comment

FWIW
                    When I cleaned mine prior to my repairs I worked in small sections, sprayed on some grease lightning degreaser stuff from Home Depot, then used a scrub brush while it's still wet then wiped it all out with paper towels never had any large amounts of dirty bilge water to get rid of.
                    Dave
                    Edmonds, WA
                    "THE FIX"
                    '93 2556
                    Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                    Misc. projects thread
                    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Working...
                    X