Buying 1998 2855 Ceira, what to look for?-gctid805929

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying 1998 2855 Ceira, what to look for?-gctid805929

hey there I am buying a 1998 2855 Ceira this week and was wondering what all I should look at before handing over the cash? Are there any known or notorious issues with this particular boat? Some more info on it is it has approx 500 hrs, New Bottom Paint, full Canvas, 300 HP Merc and bravo 3 counter-rotating prop outdrive, sleep 6-8, stove, fridge, a/c, large stand up cabin, windless. Thanks in advance!

Attached files

The 454 Bravo III combo is the best engine/drive combo for that boat. If all else is well I would say to go for it. I had a 96 model for 2 years and I had no issues.
    Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
    West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Comment

Excellent. As far as the build of the boat, plumbing, plywood, are there any worry spots to look for?

Comment

Ditto on the bravo ll. If you are at sea level the magnum is ok.. and bravo lll is nice but a little more on the maintenance. Check the drain in the instrument console and how the clear drain tube under dumps out. Often those tubes dump out right onto the fuse block and will cause corrosion.

On the curved seat outside there is a vertical dog keg just above the step.. Just look to see if the wood frame under the upholstery on that dog leg is firm. That is the worst location on the boat for dry rot. Any water outside while the boat is uncovered ends up going right to that spot. Overall, absolutely a great boat. We love ours.
        cglazier - "Fiftybucks"
        1995 2855 7.4 bravo II

Comment

"Fiftybucks" post=805958 wrote:
          Ditto on the bravo ll. If you are at sea level the magnum is ok.. and bravo lll is nice but a little more on the maintenance. Check the drain in the instrument console and how the clear drain tube under dumps out. Often those tubes dump out right onto the fuse block and will cause corrosion.

On the curved seat outside there is a vertical dog keg just above the step.. Just look to see if the wood frame under the upholstery on that dog leg is firm. That is the worst location on the boat for dry rot. Any water outside while the boat is uncovered ends up going right to that spot. Overall, absolutely a great boat. We love ours.
          Any chance of you being able to post some pics of these areas for me so I know exactly where to look? I'm going from a 23ft mastercraft to this. This is going to be an all new bread of beast for me to learn. Here's some more pics.

Attached files

Comment

I would prefer 350 Mag, Bravo 3 for that boat.

Check the upper SQ shaft for any leak/ corrosion.
            Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
            Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
            93 3058 sold
            92 2855 (day boat)
            91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
            Longbranch WA
            Life is Good

Comment

First, are you sure this is a 98? It looks like a 96. Is it a fresh water boat?

First impression:

1.Canvas is done and should be replaced by Leta's top Shop

2. Three systems. propulsion, fresh water, waste water.

3. Is the boat air conditioned?

4. Look for evidence of leaks.

5. After this long, buy a new toilet.

6. That boat should be surveyed. That outdrive is too expensive to play around with.

7. Fuel use is in the range of 16 Gallons per hour cruise and 23 at top speed.

Here are some photos of what it should look like in pristine condition so you can measure.

David
              http://www.cambridgeadvertising.org
              http://www.davidladewig.com

Comment

There's been quite a few topics on this subject through this forum, so dig around a little and you'll find you'll build a nice list of things to check for. I posted in this thread a while back, a bunch of things to check for based on my own experience since buying. As always, a survey before buying is worth it's weight in gold:

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...vey-worthwhile
                2001 Bayliner Ciera 2455 5.7 Merc MPI, Bravo 3
                2009 Subaru WRX STI
                2017 stick with a nail on the end of it

Victoria, BC

Comment

Four Pyrates that's a good looking boat you have there. I'll def be getting the boat surveyed. He's sposed to be sending me the vin so I'll know for sure if its a 98 and yes it does have AC.

With the pictures I've posted and if everything checks out along with the specs I've posted what do you think I should offer him for this boat? It also does have a trailer.

Comment

Get a mechanical survey... Bravo gear oil condition, engine oil sample,

Compression test, scan for codes/engine total hours.

She looks to be sitting too far back,

Boat could be worth anywhere from 15K~25K IMO.
                    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                    93 3058 sold
                    92 2855 (day boat)
                    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                    Longbranch WA
                    Life is Good

Comment

I'll try to get some close up pics.

Comment

"SayBye" post=806015 wrote:
                        Four Pyrates that's a good looking boat you have there. I'll def be getting the boat surveyed. He's sposed to be sending me the vin so I'll know for sure if its a 98 and yes it does have AC.

With the pictures I've posted and if everything checks out along with the specs I've posted what do you think I should offer him for this boat? It also does have a trailer.
                        The outside window dressing leads me to think it is a 96. That decal was taken off the boat in 1997 and left just white. The other hint is the interior upholstery is the same as a 96 AND next to the galley stove above the small seat is a shelf to seat locker with 2 doors. In later models, that was cut in half and a micowave was put there. In a 96, it was on the shelf above the sink. Depending on condidtion 12-20K +2K extra for the trailer if it is in good condition.
                        David
                        http://www.cambridgeadvertising.org
                        http://www.davidladewig.com

Comment

"SayBye" post=805929 wrote:
                          hey there I am buying a 1998 2855 Ceira this week and was wondering what all I should look at before handing over the cash? Are there any known or notorious issues with this particular boat? Some more info on it is it has approx 500 hrs, New Bottom Paint, full Canvas, 300 HP Merc and bravo 3 counter-rotating prop outdrive, sleep 6-8, stove, fridge, a/c, large stand up cabin, windless. Thanks in advance!
                          Looks a lot like my 96 2855. This is IMO one of Bayliners best boats ever. 300 HP suggests that you have the 454 and with the Bravo III drive this boat will perform and handle like a dream. My 2855 was the best rough water boat I have owned to date. Mine was rack stored so it did not have bottom paint. Mine topped out at 51 MPH cruised easily at 30 MPH and was good on fuel. Hope that the survey will show the boat to be a good find for you. Mine did not have A/c so that is a big plus. I loved my 2855 and would have kept it had the 3055 not been introduced in 1999.
                          Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
                          West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Comment

I have a 96 with the 454 and bravo3 as well. Great package. I agree that is not a 98 but a 96 or older. They are fantastic boats!

Comment

Check to see that the fuel tank has been replaced. You can tell if the floor under the rear berth has been cut and joined. These are subject to leaks, my 99 model was done in 2012 and re-engined with a 496mag and bravo 3 leg plus DTS and smart craft gauges, awesome upgrade.

It does look a bit stern heavy, like fuel and water tanks are full. The engine lid gutter drains should be about 6-8 inches above the water line.

Comment

Working...
                              X