Any other motoryachts double as fishing vessels?-gctid805138

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any other motoryachts double as fishing vessels?-gctid805138

We will be running out 3688 up to the Strait of Juan de Fuca for some Halibut soon!

I CAN HARDLY WAIT!
    Scott & Katy
    1993 3688 with Hino 210s
    Everett, WA (Dagmar's)

We have with our 3270 but I definitely like our 22' better.

If it's a calm day the 32 is fine. But once there is wind all bets are off. Nothing but a big sail.

Comment

We fish our 38 almost every weekend during the summer. We have downriggers, but usually anchor or drift for halibut or lings.

I love that it is a bit of a sail. Keeps a nice slow drift going. Ice maker to keep the fish cold, warm cabin for guests, great fishing platforms in my opinion.
      Joel
      1987 3818 Hino 175
      "Knotty Girl"
      Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

Hey cancel, how do you troll with your 175's? I've had gas boats up until now and for the last 30 or so years my right combination was to troll at 710-720 rpm's on one engine giving me around 1.7-2.0 through the water. Now I'm looking at 3.5 at a single engine idle and the coupler plates are not happy. I've been looking at dragging a modified sea anchor as I'm not a serious enough angler to install a trolling valve. Not to mention that the salmon fishing season in Puget Sound looks like another Hoover......one that really sucks.
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        MMSI 367770440

Comment

We fish a bunch on our 3388. It will troll at 2.5-3kts which is fine for springs. I have an Amish Outfitter trolling bag that I can stick out to make the boat go slower but I dont find I need to use it much. I love the size of the deck and the rudders keep it going nice and straight in all weather. I have a Simrad autopilot that has the wireless Bluetooth controller so I can steer the boat from a remote which is also very handy. Besides that size matters and the smaller boats tend to keep out of the way :-)
          Terry
          1999 Bayliner 3388
          Twin Cummins 4BTA
          Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
          Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

I fish from my trawler every chance I get. Enjoy the comforts of home while fishing. It doesn't get much easier.
            Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

"Pcpete" post=805576 wrote:
              Hey cancel, how do you troll with your 175's? I've had gas boats up until now and for the last 30 or so years my right combination was to troll at 710-720 rpm's on one engine giving me around 1.7-2.0 through the water. Now I'm looking at 3.5 at a single engine idle and the coupler plates are not happy. I've been looking at dragging a modified sea anchor as I'm not a serious enough angler to install a trolling valve. Not to mention that the salmon fishing season in Puget Sound looks like another Hoover......one that really sucks.
              It is difficult. That is why we drift fish a lot of the time. However, we usually troll with one engine, just above idle so the rattles are gone. Remember most commercial boats will troll anywhere from 3-6 knots, so the faster speeds are not always a bad thing. Just as long as your gear is working correctly, you are fine.

Sometimes we will go in and out of gear, or fish into the current or wind to get the speed down, if need be.

We have a dock mate that ties a bucket to his anchor and drops it down just below the surface. I haven't tried it yet, but he says it works great, and stays out of the way when playing a fish.
              Joel
              1987 3818 Hino 175
              "Knotty Girl"
              Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

I fished the Canuck side of J de F for 27 years with my Bayliner/Meridian Motor Yachts. 3288, 3788, and now 490. Taking the 490 to Hakai Pass this August to chase the really big ones. Ted

Comment

I've rigged up our 3055 for two electric scotty's and fish many times a year with it. Radar arch can make it challenging at times. Cockpit carpet comes up of course.
                  Sea Venture
                  2000 3055, 5.7/B2, 18x23" props
                  Cruising the PNW and beyond.
                  DIYC, Riverhouse Marina
                  MMSI 316029971

Kirk
                  Drinks well with others.

Comment

How do you fish out of the 490? One engine in gear should get about 4 knts, not 2-2.5 desired for trolling. Do you just mooch?
                    1997 4788 with Cummins 5.9 (315 hp)
                    12 ft Rendova with 40 hp Merc 4 cycle
                    Pacific NW

Comment

Working...
                    X