Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emergency Engine Shut Down?-gctid805122

Hello all!

Quick question, do the Hino engines have an emergency shut down, in the event you lose the ability to shut them down with stop ouch button?

Thanks!!!
    Vice Commodore
    Fox Island Yacht Club
    '92 4588
    Lucy Jayne
    Gig Harbor, WA

Topic moved to the Motoryacht section.
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA

Comment

"CaseyT" post=805122 wrote:
      Hello all!

Quick question, do the Hino engines have an emergency shut down, in the event you lose the ability to shut them down with stop ouch button?

Thanks!!!
      This is something I have considered. Last summer while on holidays, after an afternoon of cruising I went to shutdown the engines and the port engine did not shutdown. I tried the kill button on the upper and lower helms. I ended up opening one of the engine access panels and pulled the linkage by hand for the fuel shutoff attached to the shutoff solenoid. The engine shutdown promptly as expected and I believe this was caused by a loose connection at the solenoid but it did lead me to wonder about setting up an alternate mechanical shutdown method. Perhaps an emergency shutdown comprised of a cable attached to the fuel shutoff linkage?

Is there a conceivable emergency where this effort might be a worthwhile?
      1995 Bayliner 3587
      Twin Hino 250HP
      Located In Sidney BC, Canada

Comment

Or turn the fuel valve.
        1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

I believe the bad scenario where an engine not shutting down right away is discharge of halon/fire suppressant during a fire and engines consuming all retardant. I don't think a human triggered system would suffice electrical or manual... 12L of displacement running at 2500RPM is like 9 cubic feet a second.. you need a good working automatic system.

Comment

Working...
          X