tunnels boatworkfl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tunnels boatworkfl

It look like the interest has fallen off on the tunnels, I am not interested in doing sea trials for following seas, there are other threads that have proven that the tunnels work.

If I cannot sell this set then the demand is not what I expected, I will take the last set to Alaska and stay retired, at 73 I have no income that is taxable, I think I should keep it that way.

I thought there was a demand, but I think money is short these days.
    Last edited by Jim_Gandee; 11-10-2017, 09:26 AM.
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Hi All

I have the other set that Pat made.

Received them end of this week and plan to install shortly

Just wanted to add note that they are really well built.

I did confirm today that they will fit perfectly,

The mounting flange is very wide that will make bolting on easier.

Think they are an excellent value for the price and construction.

I expect to see positive results as others who have installed tunnels.

If anyone has thought of doing this would suggest the third set Pat has would be well worth it.

RDOIII
    Ron O'Blenis
    B 38 175 Hinos 1989
    Completed Great Loop
    https://ronandfaye.blogspot.com/

Comment

"boatworkfl" post=803634 wrote:
      It look like the interest has fallen off on the tunnels, I am not interested in doing sea trials for following seas, there are other threads that have proven that the tunnels work.

If I cannot sell this set then the demand is not what I expected, I will take the last set to Alaska and stay retired, at 73 I have no income that is taxable, I think I should keep it that way.

Pat, you think money is short, Just wait until you get home,
      1988 3270
      135 hinos
      Seldovia ALASKA
      KEVINS UPHOLSTERY
      KEVINSBOATTOPS.COM
      Marine canvas/Upholstery
      since 1975

Comment

Sent a PM. I am interested!
        1985 3870 175hp Hino's

Comment

"ALASKAN ADVENTURER" post=803683 wrote:
          "boatworkfl" post=803634 wrote:

Pat, you think money is short, Just wait until you get home,
          My retirement income is permanent for life. I just like to dabble so I can afford the extras.

Besides, retirement is so boring I cannot hardly stand it.

I was 11 when I bought a gas lawn mower and started mowing lawns and raking leaves.

I made a lot more than the .50 cents a week allowance.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
          Twin 350 GM power
          Located in Seward, AK
          Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Hi Pat,

I'm interested in the tunnels. Do you have any pictures of them. My cell #is 714.894.7496. I don't check this site often so the best way to get me is to call. If you want to text some pics, my phone will receive them.

Thanks,

David
            1991 3888 210HP Hino 8KW Westerbeke. nee “Undercover” Vancouver BC

Comment

I may be interested in a set of tunnels as well. Could you please PM me with a little info re: install and costs and photos .

Thank you

Tom

Comment

shanghai

Unless your tunnels are the same size as a 38XX I do not have molds for the tunnels, molds are time consuming to fabricate, and for now it is not in my plans to expand into other size boats.

Does your boat have tunnels?

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                Twin 350 GM power
                Located in Seward, AK
                Retired marine surveyor

Comment

"TonyC" post=805721 wrote:
                  Hi Pat,

I'm interested in the tunnels. Do you have any pictures of them. My cell #is 714.894.7496. I don't check this site often so the best way to get me is to call. If you want to text some pics, my phone will receive them.

Thanks,

David
                  Look up TOPIC: Tunnels, my new project Apr 10, 2017 07:06 PM

There is a photo there, I will call

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                  Twin 350 GM power
                  Located in Seward, AK
                  Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Pat, it's not always lack of interest, IMO, much of it has to do with timing of the next haul out and basic budgeting. For instance, I have my "vision" of what my 3818 will look like in a couple of years. A good reason for that time frame is I like to do the work myself, and the Admiral and I have established a priority list. Most of the accessibility items are either complete or nearly complete; the engines have all been serviced and are ready; the starting, house and inverter batteries and charging system all had to be replaced; then there was the blackwater system. I have had the trim tab extensions formed and fitted for a month and not gotten them installed yet, but maybe today is the day if the drizzle keeps up, but that's after I get the name and home port on first.

My point is most of us, again, stupid fro what it's worth opinion, most of us do longer range planning. I think you have a good looking product that will have enough demand for you to occupy some of your retirement time at a relaxing pace without getting in the way of other things you want to do.
                    P/C Pete
                    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                    MMSI 367770440

Comment

The interest is there on the tunnels, some may well be waiting on performance data as well as comments from the 1st 2 buyers.

I will be fabricating tunnels again about mid Oct. if air temps hit 78 deg+ it shuts me down as I cannot lay the material fast enough before it sets up.

I will be making a modification on the molds to conform to the curvature of the transom better.

I do understand that tunnels need to be timed to a haul out, but I need lead time to fabricate them.

Biggest issue in fabrication was that the flange had a tendency to pull back from the mold if it set up too fast, but I think I found a way to avoid that.

I think I will set up to have one set on hand and as an order comes in I will make another.

I too have to haul out again to finish hull work and install 3 new transducers for my new 12" Garmin, it has 2 ports for transducers as well as remove wet wood from the transom from the water line down and install new rub rails and a few other things on my list. I gel coated the hull last year. Boats are a lot of work.

PCPete I thank you for your positive comments.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                      Twin 350 GM power
                      Located in Seward, AK
                      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Too many years as a business analyst.
                        P/C Pete
                        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                        MMSI 367770440

Comment

yes it does however I don't know the dimensions off hand. we are swinging 22" diameter props if that helps.

Comment

I just finished my 12' x 16' workshop except for painting.
                            Now I need to set up the inside, clean up my molds, and order materials.
                            I should be able to start fabricating some fiberglass tunnels then, the first set is being shipped to Seward Ak for a 3870.
                            I will make one extra pair to bring back up to Alaska next May.
                            I have 2 confirmed orders so far.
                            The first set the owner said he gained 1.5 knots at fast cruise and the tunnels eliminated the rooster tail which translates to more push forward.
                            RDOIII stated he gain fuel economy but the notes got wet and were unreadable, hopefully next spring I will get more data to post.
                            I leave for Alaska each spring about mid May each year, my sweethearts son will house sit for the summer.
                            Anyone interested in a pair of tunnels contact me here and I will give you my email address and phone number.
                            If I receive more data on the performance I will post it.
                            There are other 38xx owners that have made tunnels out of SS but I do not have any data on them, as well as those that installed full hull extensions from the swim step down.
                            Get you maintenance done this winter and have a happy boating season next year.

Pat boatworkfl

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                            Twin 350 GM power
                            Located in Seward, AK
                            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Working...
                            X