4387 Bayliner ACMY-gctid803173

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4387 Bayliner ACMY-gctid803173

I would appreciate a little advice. I currently have a 1988 3818 Bayliner and have been searching for a larger boat. I came across a 1991 4387 Bayliner ACMY. It has 220 Hinos and is a nice looking boat. One problem is I asked the salesman to start the engines and he said to make an offer and he would check to see if he could. Is this a normal in the boating industry? Also, I don't see anything on the forum about a 4387, could I get a little input if I should go further with a buy? Thanks, Jimmie
    1991 4387 Bayliner
    Twin 250 Hinos

1988 3818 Bayliner
    175 Hinos

"One problem is I asked the salesman to start the engines and he said to make an offer and he would check to see if he could. Is this a normal in the boating industry?"

If you are a serious buyer which has already completed asking very detailed questions during a visit, decided the boat design fits your goals, and communicated that your intention is to buy this type of boat in the near future it is fair to say that you would be willing to pay $XXX if all the machinery runs well and come to an agreement. At that point the need to start engines, test appliances, and maybe a sea trail id fully warranted.

Until that time asking someone to start and engine based upon your description so far seems unnecessary and possibly a problem for a non owner (broker).

"Also, I don't see anything on the forum about a 4387, could I get a little input if I should go further with a buy?"

What exactly do you want to know about these boats? What questions can someone try and help you with?
    Northport NY

Comment

Thanks Smitty. I had been talking to the salesman and expressed my interest in buying the boat. I traveled 5 hours to see it. As far as information on it is that if no one here has one, is there a problem why they don't?

Jimmie
      1991 4387 Bayliner
      Twin 250 Hinos

1988 3818 Bayliner
      175 Hinos

Comment

Hello Jimmie

"As far as information on it is that if no one here has one, is there a problem why they don't?"

I will look up what I have when I get home tonight - I believe these boats had a pretty short run so there are not as many of them around.

And as crazy as we may think it sounds - most people do not know the BOC exists , even Bayliner owners.

" I had been talking to the salesman and expressed my interest in buying the boat. I traveled 5 hours to see it"

Did you make it clear to the broker that you were expecting to check the engines running ahead of time?

FWIW - when I had brokers representing my past boats none of them had the ability to start the engines without me. Although it would likely not be a problem in most cases I do not believe in randomly starting main engines at the dock as it is not the best treatment for them and most people cannon tell condition from a static run anyway.
        Northport NY

Comment

Jimmie,

If you 'Google' this "Bayliner 4387 BOC" you will get a bunch of past threads on the BOC on these boats. Many of these owners have chimed in on their boats and what to expect.

Here is just one example of many....

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...4387-or-a-4388
          Northport NY

Comment

I like the 4387 and the 4087. What I don't like most about the 4387 is the lack of a cockpit but if that doesn't bother you it's a very livable and nice boat.

I have chartered both the 4087 and the 4387 and I like the stairs and the various decks. You can't beat the aft cabins.
            1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
            twin 454's
            MV Mar-Y-Sol
            1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
            Twin chevy 350's inboard
            Ben- Jamin
            spokane Washington

Comment

Hello Jimmie,

We owned a 4387 for over 10 years. It is a great boat. I do not believe Bayliner ever used Hino 220s in them however. I believe they used the Hino WO6TI in either the 250hp or 310hp versions. They also built a few with gas engines. I think the production run was either 3 or 4 years with about 150 boats produced. We owned a 1991 model with the Hino 250s. It's a great boat with lots of space. As with any boat of this vintage pay close attention to maintenance records, updates, etc. The best features of this boat are the two very private sleeping berths, the separate dinette area,lots of outdoor space, great visibility from the upper helm, and excellent maneuverability. A couple of downsides are the lack of engine room space (particularly for starboard oil filter change), poor visibility from lower helm when cruising up on plane, and the wave slap under the swim platform. We had many great extended cruises with ours with no major problems.

Comment

Thanks Smitty, I appreciate the information.
                1991 4387 Bayliner
                Twin 250 Hinos

1988 3818 Bayliner
                175 Hinos

Comment

Thanks you all for the information as it will help on my decision. I will keep you update if I decide to buy it.

Jimmie
                  1991 4387 Bayliner
                  Twin 250 Hinos

1988 3818 Bayliner
                  175 Hinos

Comment

There is also a 4587 that has a better laid out stateroom (aft), and a cockpit on the stern. We really like our 4387. It fits for our family use.
                    Bayliner 4387
                    250 Hino's

Comment

Great looking boat

Comment

Thanks all for all the information. I bought the 4387 and spent 12 days from Venore Tn. to Tuscaloosa Al.. (lower tn, Tennessee, Tenn Tom and Black Warrior) I enjoyed the trip and definitely made mistakes, but learned a lot. The boat ran and handled very good. Carters Cove, Dave thanks for the advice and look forward to seeing you again. Nice looking Harley!

Jimmie
                        1991 4387 Bayliner
                        Twin 250 Hinos

1988 3818 Bayliner
                        175 Hinos

Comment

One of my favorite Bliner, congrats!
                          Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                          Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                          93 3058 sold
                          92 2855 (day boat)
                          91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)