Running Wire From The Engine Room To The Lower Helm On A 3870-gctid803089

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running Wire From The Engine Room To The Lower Helm On A 3870-gctid803089

Ok, I will do as the moderator asked. I will start a new post here. I would like to know routing for running wire from the engine room to the lower helm. Thanks for any help I can get.
    Just love being on my 3870............Bill
    1985 3870
    Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
    Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
    Live on board full time.
    North Myrtle Beach, SC

The wires run from the engine room on the starboard side and into the cubby on the floor by your feet at the helm, to the helm then from there it goes up to the pipe to the FB or can keep running fwd.
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

The most challenging part of runnning wires to the FB will be getting them up the tube from the down helm to the FB. I use a steel fish tape fed from the FB down the tube until a helper can visualize the tape exiting the bottom of the tube. Attach the wire to be fed to the tape and withdraw the tape while helper is feeding wires upward through the tube.
      Jim Gandee
      1989 3888
      Hino 175's
      Fire Escape
      [email protected]
      Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Do not push the pull wire through the middle of the bundle as they are usually taped together, run the fish tape near the inside edge of the pipe.

I always run a strong cord through first, log enough to pull both ways and leave it in the tube for future use.
        Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
        Twin 350 GM power
        Located in Seward, AK
        Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I found that a length of exterior grade, Cat-6 wire makes a better fish tape for boat wire chases than a metal fish tape. It is stiff enough to be pushed, but won't snag or damage existing wires.
          1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
          Anacortes, WA

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions, but what I really need is ideas for running wire from the engine room to the lower helm. I can get wire from the lower helm to the F/B or from the F/B to the lower helm ok.
            Just love being on my 3870............Bill
            1985 3870
            Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
            Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
            Live on board full time.
            North Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

Accessing the wiring to the lower helm is easy, no fish tape or anything at all required. If you lift the hatch below the helm you can see the wiring harness from the engine room, it simply runs along the side into the cabinet space beside the fridge. Its a little hard to reach inside this cabinet and pull up so i would run your wires down into the lower compartment and grab them there.
              1990 3888 Bayliner, Twin 351's

Comment

Working...
              X