Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3288 Forward Bilge Review/Feedback-gctid803068

Dear All,

I kindly request your honest feedback regarding the general look & feel of this fwd bilge. This belongs to a 3288 (Year '90), pictures are taken from the service lid on the floor (in front of the toilet door) towards the bow.

Initially there was plenty of water there (and no bilge pump) so I had to dry it manually. The pictures show the wet and dry status.

Does an out--of-box Bayliner 3288 look like this when she leaves the factory, or is this rather the result of some sloppy patchwork?

I am extremely worried about the fiberglass fabric which doesn't seem to have soaked any resin....Or the resin dissolved due to some chemical reaction???

Your feedback is much appreciated.

cheers,

Antalya / Turkey

Trek,

Not sure about the fiberglass, but that service hatch you reference is not factory. Someone has added that. Therefore, likely repairs have been made in there at some point.

There is a drain in the far back of the compartment that flows to the bilge pump in the lower bunk area. Those drains can get plugged and cause water to stagnate.

Comment

"dpeery" post=803115 wrote:
      Trek,

Not sure about the fiberglass, but that service hatch you reference is not factory. Someone has added that. Therefore, likely repairs have been made in there at some point.

There is a drain in the far back of the compartment that flows to the bilge pump in the lower bunk area. Those drains can get plugged and cause water to stagnate.
      I agree on that. All the water should drain to the bilge in the aft cabin.

Where is that water coming from? Rain or sea?

The pictures seem to show some repairs.
      CapMartin, Montr├®al
      "Belle de Dalhousie"
      1986 3270
      Volvo BB225B

Comment

Thanks for the feedbacks!

If the service hatch is not factory, then nobody has a picture of that area, I assume.

I wanted to compare with another -well maintained- boat. I will check the drainage to the aft bilge.

My wife doesn't trust the boat anymore and refuses to go long distances ever since she saw that patchwork.

Did the "taste test" and It's fresh water.

Potentially leaking hoses somewhere. Fresh water tank apparently had been replaced with plexy.

We have also leaking rain rails problem (a classic as I read thru the forum) around the false black window in the aft.

However the odor is very unpleasant.. So I need to fix the odor + make sure that the patchwork didn't introduce any structural integrity problems to the hull.

Thanks!
        Antalya / Turkey

Comment

Btw take a minute to fill in your signature. It makes it easier on this world wide web...
          CapMartin, Montr├®al
          "Belle de Dalhousie"
          1986 3270
          Volvo BB225B

Comment

It took me awhile to find the right place, but signature should be done; thanks for the reminder

I'll take couple of more pictures from certain areas in our 3288 and seek for your feedback.

cheers,
            Antalya / Turkey

Comment

The lamination on the vertical sections is pretty sloppy looking, as is the area around the dry looking cloth. I have a hard time believing that is factory work. I suppose it could be, but how could quality control miss that? Doesn't look right to me.

Greg
              Newport, Oregon
              South Beach Marina
              1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
              Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
              Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

Would that be the hatch just below the foot of the bed in the V-birth? I have one in my 88 3218.
                Dan
                Frostbite Falls, Minnesota
                Claudia V. III
                1988 - 3218
                Gas Drives

Comment

The water could be coming in from the Anchor well. The { small} well drain plugs up, then the water backs into the area under the v=berth and down to the fwd bilge. You may find wet wood under the v-berth ...

IF there has been repair work in that area, { hit a dead head or a reef}, you may see evidence of repair from the exterior hull when hauled out...Have a surveyor inspect the area to allow peace of mind for your wife { and you}

Cheers,
                  Afterglow 4788
                  Gary Weiss
                  Sidney BC
                  ArbutusCoastYachts.com

Comment

Here are some more pictures to verify

1) This one below shows the location of the hatch on the hallway floor between toilet and kitchenette. The hatch is constructed quite professionally, I think they put more effort to the hatch compared to the actual polyester work.

2) This is yet another look to the bow. I think there is another hatch there under the V-berth. Just noticed to day some plywood assy there, which is probably supporting another hatch.

However I don't see any drains, hoses etc. which could let water from the anchor..Does any anchor related water supposed to be coming from the chain locker?

I also do not see any bilge pump. Is this not the place where we should see the "fwd bilge pump"? On the control panel when "fwd bilge pump" activated, I hear the little pump working in the aft stateroom...

The "aft bilge" control activates some pumps in the motor compartment.

One more point: I don't see any holes/hoses etc. between between this part of the boat and the aft bilge where to water can flow into.. As per the hull geometry, the bottom of the hull is quite flat so a natural flow just by gravity seems to be impossible.

This is the stern-end of that bilge compartment:

We will take the boat out of water and do the necessary checks/repairs for almost half of the hull length..Will cost me about 10K USD (phew!)

But it's a must.

An expert recommended today to paint the whole bilge with epoxy bilge paint, apparently this would eliminate the odor and keep the wooden parts away from rot/mildew.

Having done all this, I have to (somehow) enable enough ventilation in this area to prevent condensation etc.. Any ideas?

Lot's of questions.... As always thanks for the feedbacks upfront!

Finally: this is the vessel , the lettering has not been done yet.

Antalya / Turkey

Comment

As wired from factory. The forward bilge pump is the 500 gpm one in the aft stateroom. The aft bilge pump is the 500 gpm pump in the engine room. The 1500 gpm pump in the engine room is automatic.
                      John Rupp
                      1989 2455 Ciera Sunbridge
                      5.8 OMC Cobra

1989 3288
                      Starshine
                      Hino 135

Comment

Trek,

From the factory there is a small channel in the middle of the boat. There are 2 small pipes that go through the bulkhead and flow under the water tank to the rear bilge pump. It does work. However, looking at your pictures, it appears to me that someone has filled in that channel and covered the small drain pipes.

What is the $10k for? Seems like a lot of money for an inspection?

Comment

Don't have a 32xx but when I dove into my fuel tank bilge area it looked the same as your photo

Crappy glass work and exposed chopper gun fibers, not enough resin and not even close to being smooth or sealed anywhere etc. my guess is that's how it left the factory with the exception of the obvious repair shown here

Attached files

Dave
                          Edmonds, WA
                          "THE FIX"
                          '93 2556
                          Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                          Misc. projects thread
                          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Some more pictures:

1) In the picture below, I verified that the pipe openings to the aft bilge were preserved. However it's a very narrow pipe, most probably blocked by some debris. What is the best way to clear the path? Can I just push hard with a long thin stick?

2) I found the round shaped hatch under the V-berth, -and yes the bilge walls there were wet with clear traces of water coming down...still I couldn't see any hoses/pipes etc. where the water may flow in.

3) What's is this apparatus at the wall of the fwd cabin (towards the bow)? I wanted to check any leaks there but it's sealed with bolts and nuts..

USD 10K seems to be the price for

-Getting down to the fiber and check what kind of repair has been done (from outside of the hull)

-Applying fresh fiber/resin + final coating

-Re-paint with antifouling paint

it may be less depending on the area we will examine.

-yep these things are quite expensive in Turkey. One should assume 5x of the usual price tag if the service/product has the "marine" prefix.
                            Antalya / Turkey

Comment

Hi trek,

Item 1) you could just use a water hose to try to push out whatever is in there, my guess is rotten wood. 3) that is the rope locker for the anchor. From the factory that wooden door that you have open is all that exists. Open it up and see what's behind it!

I also had rainwater coming in around the windlass and running down. Inside the rope locker there is a hole at the bottom that is drilled through to let it drain. That may be plugged up.

$10k is a lot of money--- I would say that's a 10:1 premium vs 5:1. I just did a haul and full bottom job for $1200. Personally, I didn't see anything in your pictures that would make me spend $10k to check it out. I would look at the hull from the outside and if it looks good, wouldn't worry. Just my 2 cents.

Most likely the water backed up and rotted out the floor and that's why you have those hatches and repairs. Maybe even a repair on that bulkhead is why he glass at the back of the compartment. It doesn't appear to be any kind of hull issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X