Solution for spider web cracking of gelcoat ????-gctid802708

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solution for spider web cracking of gelcoat ????-gctid802708

I have some spider web cracking of the gel coat and wondered if there is a good fix for them ????
    EAGLE III
    1992 3288 Bayliner MY
    Victoria BC
    Jan

A good GRP guy will redo with new gelcoat, and you will be amazed. Machine sanded back, new gel applied, probably by roller, then sanded, buffed and polished.
    A lifetime of racing everything from dinghies to world girdlers, but one of those lucky people who just love being afloat. So .... when the body doesn't work like before, it doesn't mean staying ashore.
    Blustery Day
    Bayliner 3288 Motoryacht, 1991.
    Twin Hino 150hp diesels.
    Purchased 23 February 2017

Comment

I have some spider web cracking here and there. I'm going to try Capt Tolleys. It's supposed to be good for that kind of repair. I have no first hand experience yet.
      2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
      12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
      MV Kia Orana
      Currently Enjoying the PNW

Comment

I have not used this but wondered if it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vihopVW1oIg

Comment

[quote]I have not used this but wondered if it works[quote]

I've tried this stuff and found it to be so-so. I would suggest that it's best used in inconspicuous areas, and certainly not on an open shiny panel.

The old story, if something looks too good to be true...................etc.
          Rob
          Bayliner 5788
          'Merlin V'
          Vancouver BC

Comment

Captain tollys did not work for me on cracks. Leaks: amazing.
            Joe
            2001 5288
            Lucky Liner ll

Comment

Spider web cracking can be the result of primarily a couple of things. One is obvious, a mild collision with something or overstressing. Another is excessive force used when pulling the part from the mold. Both normally involve at the very least the fiberglass mat laid up against the gelcoat. Sometimes it goes deeper. The boss used to have us sand and buff, they always came back. Then he had us grind away the gelcoat and spray on new gelcoat, sand and buff, the cracks eventually came back. Finally we took it as far into the lamination as necessary to get to an undisturbed laminate layer. Repair the lamination, gelcoat, sand and polish, cracks never came back. Just a little history of lessons learned.

Greg
              Newport, Oregon
              South Beach Marina
              1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
              Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
              Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

Greg you are on the money, for slight cracks I Dremel them out and fill with bits of glass and resin mixed with cab. then sand flat a bid down and overlay with minimum of 2 layers of Vail --- very thin fiberglass mat. This would work on dashes that are cracking from the heat than the cam be finished with lighter colored Gel Coat, one thing with cracks going to hardware location, pull the hardware since in most cases that is where it started.
                Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
                96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Any thoughts regarding "Evercoat Gel Coat Scratch Patch"?
                  1989 4588 PH, 220HP Hinos
                  Western Lake Erie

Comment

Working...
                  X