Sliding window U-channels for 1996 3988

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sliding window U-channels for 1996 3988

Does anyone know of a source for the snap in U-channel guides for the various sliding glass exterior windows? These fit below and above the sliding glass window panels. The part number in the 1996 Bayliner parts catalog is #5741. According to the catalog a complete re-do requires approx. 155LF.

Thanks, Bob
    Last edited by Jim_Gandee; 09-02-2020, 02:33 PM.

I replaced the u channels on my 4087, can't remember the length required. Only did the upper and lower bits, not the vertical ones. Just measure your esistimg bits, I believe the replacements are 8 foot? The part number I cross referenced was Stan Pro 75000638 (AS1528). the best price I found was from Austin Hardware 800 821 3520. The representatives were also very helpful. By the way, the new P/N for your 5741 is 1702761.

Comment

Bob Griffith wrote:
      Does anyone know of a source for the snap in U-channel guides for the various sliding glass exterior windows? These fit below and above the sliding glass window panels. The part number in the 1996 Bayliner parts catalog is #5741. According to the catalog a complete re-do requires approx. 155LF.

Thanks, Bob
      Bob: I saw this thread. Where are you located? Send me an email. Bruce Griffith, email: [email protected]

Comment

Superior Diver

Thanks for the good leads on Stan Pro and Austin Hardware. I have inspected my window channels more carefully and beleive that I only need to replace certain ones that are badly detriorated. What was your process for removing the old and installing the new? At least on my 3988 the glass cannot be removed by lifting it up. Did you slide the new channels in under/above the glass as you pulled the old out?

Thanks, Bob Griffith

Comment

I placed the window farthest forward, used a window cleaner spray to lube the u channels, then slid them out under the window. I used the old ones as a template to cut the drain holes in the bottom of the new bits, lubed them and slid them in.

Comment

• kickback
            kickback commented
            Editing a comment
            I have one that slides the u channel forward and raises up. I can not find a way to keep it down. Once you changed yours did they stay in Place?

You have confirmed what I suspected. Thanks agian for all of your great information on this.

Bob Griffith

Comment

Would these be the correct part numbers for the window guides for a 1988 3818?

Comment

Look at your windows carefully. I was able to replace my most deteriorated channels by removing the originals on the inside of the angled edge of the most forward windows on both sides of the boat. These locations see no contact given the design of the windows and there is no esthetic impact has they are “hidden” by the window frame for the most part.

These two locations provided enough material to redo the outside channels of the port and Stbd side windows. There is a similar opportunity for the stern window.
              Sea Como No
              2000 - 3988 w/330 Cummins
              Ladysmith, BC

Comment

If you pull the top track out probably in pieces, you can then lift the window up and take it out. Then take out the upper and lower tracks and clean out the window frames.

Install the new lower track, lift the window up and drop into the new track. The new top track is a bit of a bitch. Lube the top track rubber top and bottom with a lot of liquid dish soap. I cut the top track about 6 inches longer than required.

Measure the aluminium window frames top to bottom. On my old 38 the centre was 1/8 of an inch smaller than at either end. The old girl has a middle sag.

Slide the window to either end. Start to instll the top track. Once you get some of the rubber over the window, grab the part over the window with needle nose pliers and pull it along. Helps to have someone pushing the rubber from the other end.

Cut off the excess.

Wipe the sweat of you head, and go have a beer before tackling the rest.

JV

Comment

If you're referencing the felt window channels you can source replacements from

Perfect Fit-McDonald
                  18249 Olympic Ave S
                  Tukwilla, Wa
                  Ph 206-682-7161

P/N AS-1268 (comes in 8ft sections)
                  Guntar
                  1999 3988
                  Cummins 270s

Comment

Working...
                  X