Zodiac Yachtline 340 Handle Replacement-gctid802466

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zodiac Yachtline 340 Handle Replacement-gctid802466

I have two broken grey safety strap handles, which need to be replaced on our Zodiac tender. A strap is laced through all of them on each side of the inflatable portion of the boat. The handles look like this: http://www.defender.com/expanded.jsp...901&id=1489668 One of the pins must be released at the end of the strap in order to lace it through the handle. The pins appear to rotate around a shaft, but does not unscrew. I do not want to break them. What is the trick to removing the pins? Thanks.
    2002 4788/Cummins 330s
    SF Bay Area

They are either pressed into place or spring loaded.

Can you send a pic of what the pins and that part of handle look like?
    Mark
    USCG OUPV
    1990 4588
    Carlsbad, CA

Comment

I can, but it will be sometime tomorrow. Thanks.
      2002 4788/Cummins 330s
      SF Bay Area

Comment

OK. Hear you go:

The pin is a plastic part. One end is integral with the pin's shaft. The other end can be rotated and appears to be inserted into the pin's shaft. If they pull apart, the force required necessitates tools. I fear the part could easily be broken if not dealt with in the correct manner. Thanks.
        2002 4788/Cummins 330s
        SF Bay Area

Comment

I think this is pressed together...you can try to push the pin out by using a punch and hammer (gentle taps and see if pin moves in and other side slides over/out

If so then you put it back with a pair of channel lock pikers to squeeze or press the section back into place
          Mark
          USCG OUPV
          1990 4588
          Carlsbad, CA

Comment

If you need to break the pin you can use a stainless steel binding post as a substitute. Make sure to use thread locker on it.
            1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
            2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
            Anacortes, WA

Comment

I am going to contact some of the Zodiac repair shops tomorrow to see if they have dealt with the issue before I try your suggestion. Thanks for your advice. I really appreciate all the help.
              2002 4788/Cummins 330s
              SF Bay Area

Comment

"I am going to contact some of the Zodiac repair shops tomorrow to see if they have dealt with the issue before I try your suggestion. Thanks for your advice. I really appreciate all the help."

We had the same ones on our YL-380. They are also used in other spots like where the tubes are slipped into the slot of the hard bottom when you slide the tubes on and off. They are two piece and often 'break' when pulling them apart - one is like a longer axle and the other forms a 'cap' that clicks into place. We bought a half dozen spares from a Zodiac dealer and used most of them over the years after breaking a few. They were used on all the YL boats up to the 520 I believe.
                Northport NY

Comment

Working...
                X