Stainless Steel Sink Repair ALL MY-gctid802424

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stainless Steel Sink Repair ALL MY-gctid802424

My sink fell down in my 47 and is not supported by several plastic cups Although that'll work but I'll have to buy more cups I'd prefer to fix it.

There are supports on all corners of the sink that have come down with the sink and taken the granite with it (chunks of granite stuck to the granite). I'm sure I could scrape all surfaces clean and put a good bead of silicone and put it back up but am I going to have the same problem again? What have others done when this happened? I know that putting some support poles under the sink would give it lots of strength but then I'd have poles hanging down blocking towel storage etc. Are there other glues that are stronger and more effective than silicone?

Thank you!

Derek
    Family Boater
    1997 Bayliner 4788 w/330 Cummins - Phoenix
    (past) 1987 Bayliner 3218 w/135 Hino - True Story

Ours is held in place by epoxy and and it has never failed
    Mark
    USCG OUPV
    1990 4588
    Carlsbad, CA

Comment

There must have been an issue with a gap forming in the bead and working the rest loose. You could clean the sink flange real well, getting all, and I mean all of the old silicon off both the flange and the underside of the granite. Sanding the granite will be dusty so mask the drawers and cupboards closed and covered tightly. You're going to want some additional hands next, or at least I would, and I'd need at least two advisors. Do a final wipe with acetone or mek. Prep some temporary blocking then lay on a wide bead of silicone or masonry specific liquid nails on the flange of the sink. Raise the sink into position and use your temporary blocking to hold it there for a day or so.

If you can run a strong back along the front and back or front to back on the sides it would go a long way to preventing this from reoccurring. It could be as simple as some half inch by two inch plywood glued and screwed in a shallow U. Obviously fit it before glueing and screwing and pre drill a couple of holes in the flanges of your U. The plan is to attach the two strong backs to the sides of the cabinet. It doesn't really take much, so big long bolts are not needed, but I would use some glue in the joint.

If you used liquid nails for mounting, clean up the inside edges and seal with silicone.

At least that's the route I would go, for what it's worth.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      MMSI 367770440

Comment

Derek, you need to stop mixing those giant vats of Sangria in the sink. :P
        1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
        2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
        Anacortes, WA

Comment

"Norton Rider" post=802472 wrote:
          Derek, you need to stop mixing those giant vats of Sangria in the sink. :P
          Jeez...I wish it was something that glamorous! When my washing machine failed my wife and I were bailing all the water out of the washer (drum was full)....so she takes all the pans from the stove and a bunch of other crap and sets it in the sink (about 40lbs) of stuff to make room for the incoming washer water....what a mess. Can you tell I'm usually in trouble on the boat (remember my drone story)? LOL

Derek
          Family Boater
          1997 Bayliner 4788 w/330 Cummins - Phoenix
          (past) 1987 Bayliner 3218 w/135 Hino - True Story

Comment

Sillycone is not the best adhesive for this although it's used all the damn time :angry: I'd use urethane or epoxy to rebound the sink to the underside of the granite and as Pete suggested, some plywood or similar type supports screwed in from underneath to make it bulletproof.

PS - getting the damn sillycone residue off of everything will be the hardest part.
            Dave
            Edmonds, WA
            "THE FIX"
            '93 2556
            Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
            Misc. projects thread
            https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Working...
            X