Removing engine in my 3270-gctid802277

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing engine in my 3270-gctid802277

I need to pull the engine in my 3270. Has anyone on the forum built their own a-frame hoist to pull their motor? It would be nice to get it out myself so I can work on the bilge and take my time.
    Glen Sherwood
    1987 3270 twin 305’s
    Coupeville, WA

Build an A-frame or rent a truck (with or without operator) with a Hiab. That's easier.
    1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

I built this to remove boat from trailer and also to remove engines. It is nearly 20 feet tall.

Just so you know once the boat is on stands and you add the chain and tackle to the jib ( you lose

3 to 4 feet with chain and hoist) you will need all 20 of those feet to get the engine over the gunnel. Been there done that.

My jib crane is 20 ft wide and 18 ft tall. It has a rolling hoist which is what you will need unless the boat is on a trailer. I built it out of some old I beam I got from a saw mill stair. Its about 8 X10 I beam.

You are probably better off hiring someone with a mobil crane for an hour
      1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
      twin 454's
      MV Mar-Y-Sol
      1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
      Twin chevy 350's inboard
      Ben- Jamin
      spokane Washington

Comment

Are you pulling it to get to your fuel tank?

So much easier to rent a fork lift / mobile crane.
        Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
        Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
        93 3058 sold
        92 2855 (day boat)
        91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
        Longbranch WA
        Life is Good

Comment

Find someone with a truck like this...

And fork lift with long forks would do also
          twin 454's
          MV Mar-Y-Sol
          Twin chevy 350's inboard
          Ben- Jamin
          spokane Washington

Comment

If you don't mind taking the boat to Everett, Dagmars Marina is a good place to do this. They will lift the boat and put it on stands and they will use a forklift with long forks to pull the engine. Before they come with the forklift you need to make sure the engine is ready to lift and there's a pallet, stand, etc, where the engine will go after it is out. Dagmars also has one or two employees that do boat mechanical work on the side. I've had one of them help me before.

http://www.dagmarsmarina.com/
            1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
            2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
            Anacortes, WA

Comment

I built my own using 2x4s. This got the block on the deck then we used a cherry picker to get it on the dock.
              1997 3788/Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M2s (Sold)
              2003 Silverton 42c/Cummins 480CEs
              2019 Cobia 240 CC
              2006 Boston Whaler 13 Sport
              1985 3270/Hino 135s (Sold)

Vero Beach, Fl.

Comment

Thanks for all your feedback. Dagmar's sounds like it might work out well. Hadn't really thought of that.
                Glen Sherwood
                1987 3270 twin 305’s
                Coupeville, WA

Comment

"Gsherwood" post=802290 wrote:
                  Thanks for all your feedback. Dagmar's sounds like it might work out well. Hadn't really thought of that.
                  Your best bet is to call them and let them know what you need to do. They will rent you a slip on a short term basis. As I recall, the forklift for pulling an engine is charged by the hour. During boating season they will want to pull the engine on a weekday.
                  Anacortes, WA

Comment

I just did this last week on my 3270. I have 135 Hinos. Had it done with a fork lift with a long extension. They had to lift it a couple of times to get it back far enough and to clear the shaft flange. Then they had it set it down once on the deck to get the chain short enough to clear the transom. It would have been easier if I had taken the tranny off. You have to remove the hatch lid and take the plexiglax curtains off ( if installed). I did all the disonnects my self- pretty easy. Took about an hour for them to lift the engine out. Make sure you drain the antifreeze or it will spew all over the bilge once the hoses are disconnected. (5 gallons worth).

If you are replacing the fuel tank, make sure it is the same model as the one coming out. I got the old tank out, prettied up the bilge and new cable hangers and the new tank would not fit!. On my 3270, you need the model 993 tank which is 17 inches across at the base. Otherwise it will not fot between the stringers.

I was able to get all but abot 1 gallon of fuel out of the old tank by running both engines off the opposite tank. For some reason the transer rate was highest with the engines at idle. I transferred abot 20 gallons in about an hour.

Jim
                    1988 3270 With 135 Hinos

Comment

X2 on Dagmar's. They are very helpful. No need to talk to Performace Marine, just the Dagmar's guys. When you call be sure to tell them that you are there for a repower, never mind that you are rebuilding your engines. The difference is they will not make you sign a six month minimum and you get one out and one in. If there's a problem as soon as you go back in they are very flexible. Plus your parts suppliers are relatively nearby.
                      P/C Pete
                      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                      MMSI 367770440

Comment

Dagmars told me.they don't generally charge for the.forklift service if you are staying there. As far pulling engines go.
                        twin 454's
                        MV Mar-Y-Sol
                        Twin chevy 350's inboard
                        Ben- Jamin
                        spokane Washington

Comment

"yachtman" post=802306 wrote:
                          Dagmars told me.they don't generally charge for the.forklift service if you are staying there. As far pulling engines go.
                          It used to be that they charged if you weren't a regular tenant.
                          Anacortes, WA

Comment

Hi Jim,

I think I talked to you today about the fuel tank you had for sale. I measured my tank and it is 21 inches wide both top and bottom so I don't think your tank is the correct one. I plan on pulling my engines next week so I will get a model number off of them then.

Thanks

Scott Shelton

Gig Harbor

Comment

Hi, did you get your engines out? Did you do it all yourself or did you get help? I have a set in my 3270 to pull and some help would be great if I can find it. I am located in Gig Harbor and the boat is on the hard. I do have a large boom truck to do the lift.

Comment

Working...
                              X